Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:04 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,128,220 times

Advertisements

Here's another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zmo2oNwqFc

Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
He shouldn't have visited at this point, Texas still has there hands full and didn't need this diversion. I know Bush was criticized for just flying over NO but I would rather law enforcement employees concentrate on the job at hand. This has become rather status quo with every president but it's best to delay until things calm down. Houston is still in the middle of this disaster and this accomplished nothing.

Too early to judge Trump on anything, that will come in the following weeks.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:06 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I see Trump is scheduled to visit Texas today. I never understood why presidents feel the need to go into areas that are in the midst of trying to clean up and restore order and help victims to do what amounts to little more than a photo op. The massive amount of preparation that goes into a presidential visit, the disruption to actual work being done, makes these visits a stupid waste of time and resources and sets the recovery process back while accomplishing nothing. What is he going to say while standing on the scene that he couldn't say from the White House, with a lot less disruption?
Re Trump, it might be because of the criticism leveled at Bush in the wake of Katrina.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's not on Trump. It's all on the mayor of Houston who chose to tell people not to evacuate. He told them not to risk it going out on rainy roads. Nevermind the fact that they had longer than that to get started. Houston floods constantly when it rains. Flooding is not new to Houston, TX. People die eacfh year because of Houston, TX flooding, and the mayor knows that. The fact that he decided to soften this to "a rainmaker" instead of listening to the Governor and the meteorologists who advised people to evacuate because it was going to cause the worst flooding ever, makes him fully and totally responsible for the people who were trapped in their homes and lost everything. EVERYTHING.

Had he started evacuations early, knowing that Houston, TX floods just about any time it even rains, even admitting that they were going to get several days of rain, knowing it's a fricken hurricane, people would have had time to collect at least some of their precious belongings - things that cannot be replaced by donations. People wouldn't have been sitting in filthy water that is undoubtedly going to cause some people to get sick. People wouldn't have been wading in water that had other creatures in it, including fricken gators. People would have already been sheltered. They still would have lost their homes, and it still would have been a huge mess, and it still would have sucked, but it didn't have to suck quite so badly.

It's all on him.

Already been discussed, the mayor is not to blame for anything. Meteorologist predict weather, they don't issue evacuation orders besides you are ignoring the history with Rita. Maybe he should have issued a mandatory evacuation order on Thursday or Friday according to you, what would have been a sight with a few million people on the road, I'm sure that would have turned out well no history there right.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Already been discussed, the mayor is not to blame for anything. Meteorologist predict weather, they don't issue evacuation orders besides you are ignoring the history with Rita. Maybe he should have issued a mandatory evacuation order on Thursday or Friday according to you, what would have been a sight with a few million people on the road, I'm sure that would have turned out well no history there right.
Already been discussed, the mayor is totally to blame for telling people to stay in their homes and not evacuate. You're ignoring reality. You all continue to gloss over "in stages" because it doesn't fit your mantra. Houston is not a "few million" it's 2.3 million people total, and you wouldn't have to evacuate everyone. You all don't want to admit that, either. You're really going to want to pin this on Trump in the future, it all goes to the mayor. Admit that now.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
This is one of those things where you are screwed either way. An evacuation would have led to thousands stranded on roads. Rush hour in Houston is awful, I can't imagine what it would be like with everyone fleeing. This is an unprecedented storm doing weird things that beyond what anyone has ever seen.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Texas was also one of the first to get Rescue Teams to NYC after 9/11.
Texas boats were sent by the State to Louisiana before Katrina even hit land. Texas Task Force units work with other States and train for Disasters because these States help each other all the time. Texas Medical Task force has 4-5 stationed around Texas, ready to roll when needed for mass medical evacuations. Texas Task Force has many units - water rescue, medical rescue, disaster aid, disaster rescue.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is one of those things where you are screwed either way. An evacuation would have led to thousands stranded on roads. Rush hour in Houston is awful, I can't imagine what it would be like with everyone fleeing. This is an unprecedented storm doing weird things that beyond what anyone has ever seen.
Can someone post some photos of when TX evacuated last time? I believe 2-3 years ago. That was insane. Everyone fleeing and the hurricane was a dud that time. I believe there were some deaths do the the actual traffic jam(maybe health emergency but roads were to clogged to get help)

Old 08-29-2017, 01:31 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He shouldn't have visited at this point, Texas still has there hands full and didn't need this diversion. I know Bush was criticized for just flying over NO but I would rather law enforcement employees concentrate on the job at hand. This has become rather status quo with every president but it's best to delay until things calm down. Houston is still in the middle of this disaster and this accomplished nothing.

Too early to judge Trump on anything, that will come in the following weeks.
Yeah. This is the time of good feeling, neighbor helping neighbor. It doesn't last long. My engineering firm was involved in disaster recovery ops in several countries. It always gets ugly. The reality is you can never get public works and utilities back online fast enough. Logistics are a mess, skilled laborers are hard to find. You find overlapping and conflicting tasks and deadlocks on the critical path. There are labyrinths of bureaucracies to deal with. Meanwhile people just go without the things that make life livable. The suffering is real and it leads to frustration and anger. Politicians up and down the spectrum will bear the brunt of the blame, deserved or not.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
A true hero, yet another person better than Olsteen

https://www.yahoo.com/news/houston-b...160920445.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies