Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:23 AM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-week/70002548

Can we use this thread to keep up to date info on Hurricane Harvey?

Seems like its going to be really brutal. Prayers to everyone affected.
Pray for Texas. Harvey is now a Force 4 Hurricane; 137 mph winds, but the water will be the bigger disaster. Up to 35" of rain forecast inshore from the first surge.

The worst nightmare of all is if Harvey stalls out, heads back out to sea, and regathers its strength. When it comes back onshore a second time, it will be spawning dozens of tornadoes with it, and everyone will be hit with a double or triple whammy.

The population there has quadrupled since the last hurricane hit the Texas coast.

Harvey could become our largest natural disaster ever before it quits.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:56 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,240,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Alot of these poster create new accounts every day, total cowards
They usually sign up late at night and are banned by morning.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:10 AM

17,599 posts, read 9,383,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How are you getting your info? My wife is worried sick and figures she won't know anything till at least Monday.
Corpus Christi Caller-Times Live Up-Date

Some info also from the Caller Times Twitter feed

Fair amount of power loss in the area - but nothing like I expected. Corpus at about 37,000 or so now. Corpus has a Water Boil order as a precaution until they can test it. That power outage number is really low compared to what I've experienced in the past. Most of the damage appears to be in the Coastal small towns and areas between Port Aransas and up the coast from Rockport. Lot of damage to trees (interesting 100+ year old Oaks in Rockport), roof cave ins and car damage.

Nothing at bad as I feared. I've read of no fatalities at this point.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:11 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,299,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Pray for Texas. Harvey is now a Force 4 Hurricane; 137 mph winds, but the water will be the bigger disaster. Up to 35" of rain forecast inshore from the first surge.

The worst nightmare of all is if Harvey stalls out, heads back out to sea, and regathers its strength. When it comes back onshore a second time, it will be spawning dozens of tornadoes with it, and everyone will be hit with a double or triple whammy.

The population there has quadrupled since the last hurricane hit the Texas coast.

Harvey could become our largest natural disaster ever before it quits.
You could very well be correct. No offense, but I'm really hoping you're not.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:19 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,299,489 times
Looks like the NOAA thinks Harvey is just going to hang right there for the next 6 days...

HURRICANE HARVEY

The rain/flooding are going to be the big problem with Harvey.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Looks like the NOAA thinks Harvey is just going to hang right there for the next 6 days...

HURRICANE HARVEY

The rain/flooding are going to be the big problem with Harvey.
National Hurricane Center and NOAA always said it would hang for days and meander around. Worst case they ran was Harvey would pop back to sea, build again and go up the Coast as a strong storm.

That did not happen - it has moved inland some. It will still produce a lot of rain/wind.
Right now there is more power outages in Galveston than the area where Harvey made landfall.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:39 AM

41,009 posts, read 49,486,214 times
A friend of mine is somewhere in the Gulf in a Cruise ship waiting to return to Galveston. Lot of Ships port in that area or go up the channel to Houston.

I assume a Cruise Ship would head towards Florida for a few days.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,203,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Thanks, that makes sense. They're probably freaking out wondering wth is going on.

Is there anything worst than waiting to see how bad things are going to get? Geeze, I feel for you all.
It can make you anxious, for sure. I'm in the Galleria area and it wasn't too bad here last night. Storming this morning. A tornado blew the roof off a home in a subdivision about 7 minutes from my mom's house. Sounds like south and southwestern Houston/suburbs is getting it the worst.

Apparently, the Lt. Governor said the worst rain won't hit Houston until Wednesday.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
The storm appears to have missed Corpus and hit land in a less populated area. But my favorite beach town, Port A , appears to have taken a direct hit. Hopefully folks were prepared. At least the area is not a swimming hole waiting to be filled with water like NOLA was.
Port A did not take a direct hit - Harvey made landfall about 20-30 miles North of Port Aransas across the shipping channel (where you take the ferry) in the Rockport/Fulton area.

Port A was evacuated - no word of what the conditions are there and it will be some time before we know. Only 2 ways to get on Mustang Island - Ferry (or boat) and the Highway to Flour Bluff, which is surely closed.

Worst damage is always if the Hurricane comes ashore to the South of a location - Harvey came ashore North of Port A. As you know - almost all structures (other than businesses in Old Port A) are elevated on high piers.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A friend of mine is somewhere in the Gulf in a Cruise ship waiting to return to Galveston. Lot of Ships port in that area or go up the channel to Houston.

I assume a Cruise Ship would head towards Florida for a few days.
Possibly Florida - I read that some pulled into the Cruise docks in New Orleans to re-provision and then back out to sea. They will hunker down somewhere until they can get back in to the docks in Galveston - which could take a week. It's going to be a real mess for the Cruise ships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies