Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 06:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 8,278,670 times

Advertisements

Never been on a cruise.

Does the Cruise line have the responsibility to get all the people on board back to original port?.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:30 AM

17,599 posts, read 9,383,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Never been on a cruise.

Does the Cruise line have the responsibility to get all the people on board back to original port?.
I doubt it - I think the "fine print" allows the Ship a lot of latitude on where it goes. It's possible they might dock somewhere other than the home port, but I would think that comes with an entirely new set of problems.
Most of the passengers on the Galveston Cruise ships are Texans and they drive to Galveston.

I personally wouldn't even consider a cruise during hurricane season into hurricane possible waters - especially if I planned to leave my care at the dock. Prices are cheaper then - so folks tend to gamble.

My son was on a Cruise across the Gulf from Galveston to Key West & then to Mexico when Katrina was in the Gulf. Most passengers spent a pretty miserable time in the very, very rough seas.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:34 AM

16,787 posts, read 8,278,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I doubt it - I think the "fine print" allows the Ship a lot of latitude on where it goes. It's possible they might dock somewhere other than the home port, but I would think that comes with an entirely new set of problems.
Most of the passengers on the Galveston Cruise ships are Texans and they drive to Galveston.

I personally wouldn't even consider a cruise during hurricane season into hurricane possible waters - especially if I planned to leave my care at the dock. Prices are cheaper then - so folks tend to gamble.

My son was on a Cruise across the Gulf from Galveston to Key West & then to Mexico when Katrina was in the Gulf. Most passengers spent a pretty miserable time in the very, very rough seas.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 06:42 AM

24,494 posts, read 23,214,005 times
The high pressure that's giving the rest of the country cool dry weather is going to make Texas pay a heavy price in keeping this storm stationary. Now to wait for the jump in price at the gas pumps over fears that the oil rigs were damaged. Of course the gas at the pumps was refined weeks or months ago, but that won't make any difference....

Old 08-26-2017, 06:45 AM

45,672 posts, read 24,165,007 times
It's always the rain -- so much water and no where to go when you are in low lying coastal areas.

Rockport seems to have been hit hard. Hoping for no fatalities but .......sigh.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:54 AM

30,754 posts, read 21,629,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The high pressure that's giving the rest of the country cool dry weather is going to make Texas pay a heavy price in keeping this storm stationary. Now to wait for the jump in price at the gas pumps over fears that the oil rigs were damaged. Of course the gas at the pumps was refined weeks or months ago, but that won't make any difference....
The axis of the high is to our east and not bringing us any cool weather heather. Low of 79 and a dew point of 74...

Last edited by LKJ1988; 08-26-2017 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 AM

17,599 posts, read 9,383,017 times
For those who have friends, family or just want to know what is going on ......

One of the Corpus News Stations is broadcasting live online -

ABC News WFAA Live Broadcast

I just heard an interview with the Port Aransas Police Chief done on Padre Island, which has little damage. I was correct - the Highway to Port Aransas is impassable - they are bringing in some front end loaders to remove about 3 feet of sand that blocks the road. No communication with those that did not evacuate Port A - the Chief said there were a few on the Island but most evacuated and they practice Hurricane Evacuation about 3 times a year.

As I watch this broadcast - I'm really shocked at how little damage to the Corpus Christ area after a CAT 4 storm hit. I can't stress enough how crucial it is for the location of Landfall to be on the North side of highly populated areas ..... and that's exactly what happened.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,045,225 times
There has been a pretty continuous driving rain overnight at my house. But this storm cloud has a silver lining: I got today off, and our company never gives us Saturdays off. It's sad that it takes a hurricane to get the weekend off though. It's a good thing I followed my usual hurricane preparedness plan. Trump's assistance consisted of offering us his "Good luck" wishes So much for helping Americans in their time of need.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 AM

30,754 posts, read 21,629,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There has been a pretty continuous driving rain overnight at my house. But this storm cloud has a silver lining: I got today off, and our company never gives us Saturdays off. It's sad that it takes a hurricane to get the weekend off though. It's a good thing I followed my usual hurricane preparedness plan. Trump's assistance consisted of offering us his "Good luck" wishes So much for helping Americans in their time of need.
Just be glad ya have a job bob.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:39 AM

15,153 posts, read 11,675,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh? Exactly what "assistance" is Trump defiantly withholding from you? He has offered the entire resources of the federal government to assist Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies