Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:30 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,094,286 times

Advertisements

It would prevent the vast majority of crazy Democrats from being able to become president so sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:18 PM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It would prevent the vast majority of crazy Democrats from being able to become president so sure
I'd take an Eisenhower of any party over what's offered today. Of course, he'd be kicked out of the GOP as a lefty RINO...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Since we're on the subject of the Constitution, perhaps you should look up the definition of Ex Post Facto--as in..No Ex Post Facto laws may be enacted?

I would rather make service of some kind mandatory for the exercise of franchise. Let those who know the cost of war..vote on whether to engage in it.
Sounds like Starship Troopers, giving the commentary you are with the novel's, not the movie's take on citizenship

Old 08-27-2017, 09:35 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'd take an Eisenhower of any party over what's offered today. Of course, he'd be kicked out of the GOP as a lefty RINO...

Eisenhower single-handedly blocked the Republicans in congress from cancelling Social Security. He certainly wasn't very popular with them, as they'd assumed they had a slam-dunk on destroying it, with majorities in both houses and the Presidency. Can you just imagine what he'd think of Trump and his behavior?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Nah...this is a dumb idea. Military service is overly exalted in this country.

There are other experiences that are just as important and applicable as military service relative to the presidency. Most important thing to me is that they have a good liberal arts education (art, philosophy, science, law, finance, language and communication) and have spent productive years in government service AND the private sector.

Whether or not they've been in the military ranks low for me.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah...this is a dumb idea. Military service is overly exalted in this country.

There are other experiences that are just as important and applicable as military service relative to the presidency. Most important thing to me is that they have a good liberal arts education (art, philosophy, science, law, finance, language and communication) and have spent productive years in government service AND the private sector.

Whether or not they've been in the military ranks low for me.
If only vets were allowed to be president we wouldn't have who's in there right now.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Sounds like Starship Troopers, giving the commentary you are with the novel's, not the movie's take on citizenship
Yes...Heinlein had some good ideas...even if he did get a bit weird towards the end of his life.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Since we're on the subject of the Constitution, perhaps you should look up the definition of Ex Post Facto--as in..No Ex Post Facto laws may be enacted?

I would rather make service of some kind mandatory for the exercise of franchise. Let those who know the cost of war..vote on whether to engage in it.
Service guarantees citizenship!!!!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:45 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There has been talk of this for many years, going back to the Clinton era. The best possible preparation for the Presidency is being a military officer, as it makes a potential POTUS aware of what the serviceman and servicewoman have to go through. It gives them leadership experience and awareness of the wider world. Fewer veterans than ever in our national politics means that veterans' issues get ignored, and the lives of servicepeople become more abstract.

This is why there needs to be a Constitutional amendment requiring service in order to hold the nation's highest office, with the immediate removal of a current holder of the office if he has not served. (in that case the Presidency would go to whoever was next in the line of succession who had actually served.) National Guard, Coast Guard, and Reserves service would be considered service as well as service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. This would raise the quality of the men - and potentially women - who would hold the office.

hey t his is a dumb idea!

I wish you had put this in the form of a question, so I could take it to a teacher I once had that said there were no dumb questions.

I would win the argument.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:47 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Service guarantees citizenship!!!!
Interesting concept but having most of the population disenfranchised is a road to instability.

PS to whoever is promoting the original idea: YOU LOST. You LOST A GIMME by foisting someone even worse than Trump with no good message and a crappy crappy campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies