Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Just an observation here...as someone who has travelled extensively, I've noticed that the more the police resembled military, the less free and more authoritarian the country was.

That said, I don't really have an opinion on this decision per sé.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Exactly how common do you think Antifa is?

I live in Iowa, and I'm like 90% sure there's never even been an Antifa presence here, certainly not one big enough garner any real attention or concern.

Antifa is a mostly fringe movement. They're numbers aren't great enough to require militarized police forces.

I think the OP is right by the way. The primary motivation was rollback on an Obama administration policy. Which is completely stupid and corrosive to American democarcy.
Wherever it is, the police need to be armed to the teeth. When sticks, urine filled bottles, and fireworks are no longer effective, these fanatics/radicals will become even more violent. Not to mention if a group of Nazis or KKK start something violent, I'd want every resource used against them, too.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:44 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Next, we use drones and cluster bombs.
Actually that's not a half bad idea! Replace the explosive ordinances with beehives (rubber balls) that's a sure fire way to end a riot... cluster bomb city squares with air burst soft rubber ball munitions... or bean bags.

Everyone gets a prize

Both sides of rioters catch it.

That's a great idea!!! Retrofit hell fire and stingers with air burst multi directional bean bags or rubber balls

Ahh that would be hilarious. Hundreds of rowdy trouble makers dropped by bean bags and rubber balls. Town re secured and renamed Welt City

Old 08-28-2017, 11:47 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Cops don't need it. Sell it off to other governments around the world if you want the money.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
We have had a father killed by a local police force when they raided the WRONG house in a "no knock" raid. Cops are bad enough with the weapons they have. No way should they have the real tools of mass slaughter to use on the rest of us White, Black, Right or Left. We have failed to guard our guardians so giving them more guns is far more dangerous than letting a couple of dope dealers get away.

These weapons did their jobs by transferring tax money from the middle class to the owners of the companies that built them. Defense spending is nothing but Corporate Welfare for the Chosen and an unpayable debt for the rest of us.

I say we should sell all the small arms, including automatic weapons at Government surplus stores to anyone that has a non violent criminal record and recycle the steel in the big stuff to make useful things like railroad rails for Urban Transport Systems.

FWIW - I just returned to my local airport from a trip and noticed men in military uniforms standing with armor and sub-machine (MP-5?) guns. My reaction was WTF? Is there a war I don't know about? I did not feel safer at all. I think we are way too frightened by a minor threat. It would be far more effective if all the passengers were armed instead of a few guards with machine guns. If we all carried a terrorist would not last very long.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
This surplus military stuff should be destroyed and recycled. The last group that needs it are American cops.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Haha, even if you got one for 100K regular maintenance and use is going to cost you way more than that.

Basically if you are sweating 1 mil you would not be in a position to be able to make use of it anyway, I would wager the military likely spends close to that per jet on a given mission. Fighter jets also have limited range compared to most normal transit planes.

Although I do agree that it would be really fun if you could.

Edited to add:

Just looked up the avg cost of operating an F16 per hour is 34,000 dollars or so. That is some extremely expensive fun.
Well if they're flown at a slower speed than sonic/super sonic speeds I'm sure the fuel consumption wouldn't be all that terrible...

If you're traveling what... 150-200 miles 1 way at a rate of 700 800 mph to a top paying job in a different state... why pack your bags and sell your house? Rent space in a hanger, aviation fuel operating at a less than aggressive fashion, I would assume cost to operate would be similar to a fancy plush Leer jet... only, you are the pilot, and no leather and mahogany and minibar... remove the added weight from cannons and missiles just make the difference up with fuel that solves range

Even an A10 warthog would be the cats meow.

There's also the Apache they're fast too.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
You'd feel differently if they were aiming this stuff at YOU!

The United States is not at war with its citizens. There is no place in America that would require military type vehicles, weapons, or munitions to be used on the populace.
Chicago

Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have had a father killed by a local police force when they raided the WRONG house in a "no knock" raid. Cops are bad enough with the weapons they have. No way should they have the real tools of mass slaughter to use on the rest of us White, Black, Right or Left. We have failed to guard our guardians so giving them more guns is far more dangerous than letting a couple of dope dealers get away.

These weapons did their jobs by transferring tax money from the middle class to the owners of the companies that built them. Defense spending is nothing but Corporate Welfare for the Chosen and an unpayable debt for the rest of us.

I say we should sell all the small arms, including automatic weapons at Government surplus stores to anyone that has a non violent criminal record and recycle the steel in the big stuff to make useful things like railroad rails for Urban Transport Systems.

FWIW - I just returned to my local airport from a trip and noticed men in military uniforms standing with armor and sub-machine (MP-5?) guns. My reaction was WTF? Is there a war I don't know about? I did not feel safer at all. I think we are way too frightened by a minor threat. It would be far more effective if all the passengers were armed instead of a few guards with machine guns. If we all carried a terrorist would not last very long.
Exactly! Repeal Hughes amendment! And NFA. Get K-12 teachers proper training and CCW no more school shootings or waiting for swat to arrive to stop the carnage.

As for the steel, that's not a bad idea, until the environmentalist go nuts about coal powered refineries smelting said steel...

I'll take every machine gun, sub machine gun, light or heavy, to the range every weekend. I'd be in the top 10 of ammo purchasers and spare parts and barrels.

Get a pest control permit. A huey, someone to pilot said huey. Go bag feral hogs with M60s and 249s. Or M40s/M24s Lots of BBQs! Mmm nomnomnom... if you don't like ribs and pork chops slathered in sweet baby rays, you're missing out! Could feed alot of homeless too!

Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Get a pest control permit. A huey, someone to pilot said huey. Go bag feral hogs with M60s and 249s. Or M40s/M24s Lots of BBQs! Mmm nomnomnom... if you don't like ribs and pork chops slathered in sweet baby rays, you're missing out! Could feed alot of homeless too!
Just keep the Vulcans and you can go pick up the already cooked (via friction) bits of pork off the ground. Long as you don't mind your lunch being turned into lots of very small pieces.

All for the low low price of only $100-$150 dollars per second of operation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies