Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should There be Price Controls in Times of Disaster
Yes 96 78.05%
No 27 21.95%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A guy who sold me water at the normal price might save me. A guy who charged $99 for it? Not so much.

I'm pretty much finished with you, as your absurdities are giving me brain damage, or at the least, a severe headache. Thank God I still have a few Advil around, and don't have to pay $200 per capsule.
You are fine with people dying and jealous of those who make a profit. I get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But you are fine with people dying because of your anti-price gouging law.
No one has died due to our anti-price gouging laws. NO ONE! In fact they've probably saved quite a few people. Everyone can go to the store and buy goods they need to get through the storm, not just rich people.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
You are fine with people dying and jealous of those who make a profit. I get it.
Have you ever heard of trying to get blood from a stone?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A guy who sold me water at the normal price might save me. A guy who charged $99 for it? Not so much.

I'm pretty much finished with you, as your absurdities are giving me brain damage, or at the least, a severe headache. Thank God I still have a few Advil around, and don't have to pay $200 per capsule.
these gougers know what they up against-- why they bring their guns, they know - they are not capitalist they are just vultures

Old 08-30-2017, 11:45 AM

18 posts, read 9,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Profit is the rootof all evil.
There fixed that for you

I'm not a Christian, but doesn't the Bible that most people abide by have some not so charming stuff to say on that subject? Just a thought.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
there should be no price controls. A free market will increase supply as needed during a disaster. Price controls limit supply.
Scarcity requires rationing. The basic question that must be answered is not whether to ration, but which method of rationing uses resources in such a way as to satisfy the most wants and needs.

The continuous flow of goods is maintained by constant deliberate adjustment; by B stepping in when A fails to deliver. So stores would still get their supply. There is no reason to limit supply nor increase prices when there is no increase in cost.

Think back on the gas production fall during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Nearly 5 million barrels of crude oil per day were briefly shut down, while another 500k-700k of capacity was operating under reduced runs from damage. Gas production fell very sharply all over the country. The cost of gas went up about $.51/gallon for about 10 weeks. Not by $3-$4 like some attempted to charge. Within two months gas was back on a downward track.

The market sent out signals, and the behavior of producers and consumers changed. Consumers conserved where possible to mitigate the shortages, and producers increased production in unaffected areas of the country to help the affected areas recover.

The same works in this situation. Companies like Anheuser-Busch begin producing less beer, and using those production lines to can and bottle water. Companies begin overtime to produce more food and other needed goods. Shipping companies begin working extended hours to send more deliveries to affected areas.

The MARKET will support the local communities without price gouging. Allowing companies to set their own prices may work on unnecessary supplies, but on items essential to survival all it does is force people to buy into a monopoly.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Read the highlighted please.

That is what I tried to get you to do....... when a store is the only supplier of a good, it is a monopoly.... let that sink in.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Last time I checked, nobody keeps those stats. And it's not just about deaths.

But I guess you think there is no need for additional supplies.

Lifeexplorer made the argument of people dying over anti-gouging. I merely proved that false. If there were any stats available, someone would track them. But there isn't because it hasn't happened.

See my last post. It explains how supply and demand works during a disaster.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
You are losing this argument. Do you get it?

Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
That is what I tried to get you to do....... when a store is the only supplier of a good, it is a monopoly.... let that sink in.
LOL! Not it's not. It's only monopoly when the company actively stop others from entering the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies