Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times

Advertisements

Just a quick note that some may find of interest.

Mayor Gray has suggested that the statues of John C. Breckinridge and John Hunt Morgan, located at the Old Fayette County Courthouse (also the site of one of the biggest slave auction sites in the Antebellum South) in downtown Lexington be relocated to the privately owned Lexington Cemetary. Both Breckinridge and Morgan are buried there. The Cemetary is considering it.

That option always made the most sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 05:47 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
They would have to put armed guards there or the progressives will damage the statues and rob the graves.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Just a quick note that some may find of interest.

Mayor Gray has suggested that the statues of John C. Breckinridge and John Hunt Morgan, located at the Old Fayette County Courthouse (also the site of one of the biggest slave auction sites in the Antebellum South) in downtown Lexington be relocated to the privately owned Lexington Cemetary. Both Breckinridge and Morgan are buried there. The Cemetary is considering it.

That option always made the most sense to me.
This makes sense to me too. I just hope the far left people don't vandalize the cemetery. The latest thing I read was now a movement to remove the statue of Jeff Davis from the state capital. I bet many on this forum don't realize he's a KY native and his statue is there along with other famous historical KY figures. That will be an interesting one. I'm beginning to wonder how long before people of KY that are proud of their heritage regardless of how anyone else feels about it will say enough is enough and start counter protesting this.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:37 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This makes sense to me too. I just hope the far left people don't vandalize the cemetery. The latest thing I read was now a movement to remove the statue of Jeff Davis from the state capital. I bet many on this forum don't realize he's a KY native and his statue is there along with other famous historical KY figures. That will be an interesting one. I'm beginning to wonder how long before people of KY that are proud of their heritage regardless of how anyone else feels about it will say enough is enough and start counter protesting this.
Kentucky was the birthplace of both Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln, though one moved North and the other moved South. I have mixed emotions on the Confederate Monuments. I don't think that cemetary or battlefield memorials should be touched, but I'm open to letting local communities decide if they want to remove them from courthouses or other public property.

So far, I think the discussion's been handled pretty well here, but we'll have to see if it can be resolved without competing crowds of outsiders,who have never been here before, invading town just to raise hell.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Kentucky was the birthplace of both Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln, though one moved North and the other moved South. I have mixed emotions on the Confederate Monuments. I don't think that cemetary or battlefield memorials should be touched, but I'm open to letting local communities decide if they want to remove them from courthouses or other public property.

So far, I think the discussion's been handled pretty well here, but we'll have to see if it can be resolved without competing crowds of outsiders,who have never been here before, invading town just to raise hell.
Yes, I've often wondered if Lincoln had a Southern accent. Logic says he would have, at least in his early life.

Lincoln Lore – The Lincolns Leave Kentucky

Last edited by marino760; 08-30-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 05:35 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Maybe this is the best compromise we can come up with. To me, it is common sense not to honor anyone who fought for the Confederacy. Based on what the Confederate cause is about, honoring Confederates would not be a good idea. I don't see how it's logical.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:53 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Let'd not forget that the confederacy LOST the war. See any statues of Hitler in Germany nowadays? Statues of American military leaders in Vietnam?

Old 08-31-2017, 06:28 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Why would the bold happen?

It seems on this particular issue with Charlottesville, people ignore the fact that the left wing protestors were only there because the white supremacists/alt-righters held a racist rally at the monument. The left followed them, it wasn't the other way around.

I've not seen where anyone on the left have vandalized a monument in a cemetery or any public place. Maybe they have but I haven't seen it.

I honestly dont get the conservative/right POV on this issue. Nearly every municipality who wants to remove the statues has said they will put them in a more appropriate place, like cemeteries or museums. The lefties don't seem bothered by this. It is the righties and the racists who are bothered by it.

IMO people need to step back and realize that this is the stuff that was happening in the first place. The racists have diverted the issue to "erasing history" when that was not going to happen by just moving a statue to a cemetery or museum.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 AM

There's a recent history of cemeteries being vandalized because they have Confederate monuments and graves. Here are just 3 examples from North Carolina, Palm Beach Florida, and Ohio. After the Civil War, it was the Nation's #1 priority to heal, not continue the hatred.

https://www.rt.com/usa/328004-confed...orth-carolina/

UPDATE: Confederate monument at West Palm cemetery vandalized

https://woub.org/2017/08/22/police-c...ry-vandalized/

I find it sad and scary how the hatred is spreading. It really needs to stop on both sides. Not even in Europe and Germany are grave sites and cemeteries vandalized because they contain German soldiers from WWII.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
Quote:
After the Civil War, it was the Nation's #1 priority to heal, not continue the hatred.
Well stated.

By the way, for those who are concerned about the Statues and Monuments, research Virginia Code § 15.2-1812.

Here is a link to it:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion15.2-1812/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies