Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:55 AM

720 posts, read 502,017 times

Advertisements

I think you have to be a certain age to fully understand what I'm talking about (at least in your early thirties). It used to be that the Religious Right, the Christian Right, the "moral majority", was always causing trouble. They were the ones getting TV shows canceled, bulldozing CDs of music with objectionable lyrics, trying to ban books, trying to get creationism taught in schools over evolution, trying to teach kids abstinence-only instead of safe sex, organizing boycotts, blowing up abortion clinics, etc. It was like this until the early 2000s. Then we all just kind of stopped paying attention to them, and now they don't have as much cultural influence.

Unfortunately, it seems like Left has decided to start doing some of the same things. Gee, I wonder how this is going to end...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:56 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,794,054 times
The left isn't trying to turn America into a theocracy. Terrible comparison.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,405,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I think you have to be a certain age to fully understand what I'm talking about (at least in your early thirties). It used to be that the Religious Right, the Christian Right, the "moral majority", was always causing trouble. They were the ones getting TV shows canceled, bulldozing CDs of music with objectionable lyrics, trying to ban books, trying to get creationism taught in schools over evolution, trying to teach kids abstinence-only instead of safe sex, organizing boycotts, blowing up abortion clinics, etc. It was like this until the early 2000s. Then we all just kind of stopped paying attention to them, and now they don't have as much cultural influence.

Unfortunately, it seems like Left has decided to start doing some of the same things. Gee, I wonder how this is going to end...
1000000% correct.

And they are so tone deaf they don't even know they're doing it.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,405,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Yes, they are.

Their God is the State/government.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 AM

720 posts, read 502,017 times
Quote:
Aren't they? They may not be that keen on organized religion, but that's because politics is their religion. They're just as bad, if not worse, because they're still trying to exert their sense of morality on society writ-large.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,362,255 times
Quote:
Bull! The Left has a rigid set of absolutes they seek to impose on all of us.

And they are far more willing to harness the monopoly on the use of force granted to the state in order to accomplish this.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:04 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,973,384 times
The modern left is far worse than the religious right ever was.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:09 AM

20,890 posts, read 9,589,480 times
I actually (sort-of) agree with this. In fact, I've been thinking certain elements of the left (I'll call it the "NPR crowd") have more in common with the Christian right (and I'm referring to genuine Christians, not the ones who profess to believe just to be a good conservative) than they do with other elements of their own parties. They've been dubbed the New Puritans.

Unlike others, however, who have noticed this but who regard it with scorn, derision or ridicule, I actually think it's an opportunity both sides should take advantage of.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 AM

29,610 posts, read 16,600,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes, they are.

Even if you believe the left has a metaphorical God, it only takes an ounce of honesty to know that it isnt the state. At best, the state is a conduit, not the God. The same as it was for right wingers

And the argument here is that the Left is not comparable as they arent doing any of the things listed above or that they have a moral high ground.

You may not like it because you lean right, but including everyone is not equal to excluding a select few

Old 08-27-2017, 11:12 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,794,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Yes, they are.

No it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies