Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the American dream of owning a home has quickly turned into a nightmare of monumental proportion
Yes - homeowner with issues 2 11.76%
No - homeowner doing just fine 13 76.47%
Don't know, I don't own a house 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

Here is a summary:

US Households: 75 Million
  • 2009 Projected Foreclosures: 3.5 Million (1 of every 21 households)
  • 2009 Projected Home Sales 5.5 Million
  • Inventory of Foreclosures 2 1/2 years (assuming 25% of home sales are foreclosures)
  • Number of Homes Underwater 8.8. million (1 of every 8.5 households)
  • Number of Households underwater if prices decline another 5%: 11 Million (1 of every 6.8 households)
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: American Dream or American Nightmare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 11:16 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
People can opt out from overpriced housing. Not all decent educational outlets for children are found in overpriced-housing funded districts. But I see it every day in at work. Peers living in 275-300K behemoths in the South complaining about how the neighborhood is " going downhill" because people park their 5th toy car in the street and make it difficult to navigate the ticky-tacky narrow street in ticky tacky McMansionville. Voluntarily yoking themselves and mortgaging their relationships for a piece of granite countertop. Fools... And half of these folks don't even have kids yet. I'm saving a crapton by living in a " bad school district". Pop a kid? You got 6 years to find the cheapest house in the good school district...I digress.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:47 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
If people would only wise up and not let themselves be talked into buying something they neither need nor can afford, then housing would settle down. The problem is that too many think they 'need' more than they do.

Eleven years ago when I was looking to move from Michigan to southern Nevada, I had one agent trying to tell me I could get a "better" place in a "better" area if I would sell what I owned in Michigan first. He simply could not understand that I liked the area I was looking in and wanted to keep the other property as a rental for a few years. I switched agents and bought the condo I now live in and have never regretted it.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I own two houses, both paid for.
I bought what I was comfortable paying the mortgage on, nothing more.
Were they the best houses in the best neighborhoods, no, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
I wanted public transport for work and a reasonable mortgage.
Nothing more.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
As Geithner testified to congess the easy credit allowed many that should never have bought or thought about owning a home to do so. He pointed out that the national average for decades as been at 65%.The government programs are not designed to save those that can not afford the home that bought he said. The american dream of homeowenership turn mitemre for the simple fact that not eeryone can afford to buy a home basically.But homw ownership is only a part of the american dream IMO and it has turned the overall american dream into a nitemare for those that bit what they couldn't chew.Some may have been part of the future 65% later but may be much more difficult now or impossible.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:15 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Hindsight2020, MsMcQ, chielgirl, excellent comment all of you. Rep+ all around.

People need to buy smart, but what they need and can afford, and when this is done one can look at today's housing market as an excellent opportunity if that fits your goals.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
People need to buy smart, but what they need and can afford, and when this is done one can look at today's housing market as an excellent opportunity if that fits your goals.
However, the government shouldn't still be allowing purchases with less than 5% as a down payment (FHA and VA).

I'd favor 20% as the minimum down payment myself.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Way too many people who had no business buying houses did. Somewhere along the line people were convinced that home ownership is something everyone should have.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
However, the government shouldn't still be allowing purchases with less than 5% as a down payment (FHA and VA).

I'd favor 20% as the minimum down payment myself.
We're heading towards that. Hey, if it means living in an apt. or trailer for ten years, so be it.

My parents did it that way, my wife and I did it that way, and so on.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Way too many people who had no business buying houses did. Somewhere along the line people were convinced that home ownership is something everyone should have.
kinda like those fancy new cars.

Holy cow, folks are financing them for 7 years now?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies