Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't know. I don't take calls from unknown numbers/ callers.

I get 10-100+ calls from unknown numbers every day.

I get a huge number of daily calls , thus voice mail, with recorded messages from " Jimmy" who tells me to meet him at the bar and bring knives and peanut butter, blah, blah, blah. These calls come from hijacked numbers throughout the US and the world.

I have no idea why anyone would disclose anything to a pollster or someone posing as a pollster.
You get messages asking you to meet Jimmy at a bar and to bring knives? Wow that's creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Who has ever been called by a political pollster?
I have.

A number of times over the years. By both liberal and conservative pollsters, although both try to conceal their bias. I respond honestly.

One of the briefest was a survey on abortion from some RW group. The woman who called began asking about the sanctity of birth, etc.

I explained that we are pro choice and she quickly ended the call.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Interesting how a few of you got lots of calls. You must meet a certain demographic. Reminded me of a friend who got lots of sample sizes of toiletries and household goods in the mail. She said she and her neighbors were inundated with new products that companies were test marketing.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:19 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I got a call once, back when the Presidential campaign first got started.
He asked lots of questions, and because I was able to answer and give opinions, the interview went on for several minutes.

After he was done I asked him if he ran into people who really had no idea who was who in the race. He said, Yeah. Most people he talks to can't get through the first couple of questions before he has moved out of their knowledge base.

I think that's why Trump polls so badly.

"Do you hate Trump"?
"Yeah". Because the TV and Facebook said he was a racist and lies a lot".

Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I am still convinced that they use the rosters from Obamaphones. I have an adult son with developmental disabilities, he is non-verbal and functions at about the 4 year old level. Well, they kept sending us the fliers for the Obamaphones. In the contract it said that one was agreeing to the company's ability to sell the listings of those that had phone service with them. I had a really hard time getting my son off their mailing lists, finally had to take it to a higher level to stop it. My son had no use for a phone, and my husband and myself both had phones from service providers where we had control of who could buy the listings or not.

So, I say they use the Obamaphones for all of these left leaning polls.

And, no, voting since 1972, I have never had a polling organization call me.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:25 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
I used to be called occasionally back in the day by various pollsters and research groups because I didn't know who was calling and answered the phone. I felt sorry for the kid on the line and usually answered their questions knowing their job depended on me participating in their marketing or political survey. I no longer answer my phone if the number on caller ID is one I don't recognize.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-03-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies