Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

how's that MAGA working out for you? The same guy who gets all his ties made in China now wants to close shop?

Yeah right..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Me, too. It is so hard to find products not made in China - even higher end brands. I bought a Coach purse a few years ago - really not realizing until I saw the tag that it was made in China. Last Coach purchase. All these cheap tee shirts and clothes, dish towels that don't absorb water, etc... I'd rather pay more and have things that last - like we did when I was a kid. My granny had sheets that were old and in perfect condition. We are way too much a disposable society. I'd happily pay 3 times the price for a quality US item than buy that same cheap item 3 times because it kept wearing out.
Coach used to make bags and wallets in the US and Italy.

About the time Sara Lee ( cheesecake) spun it off as a independent publicly traded company, they expanded manufacturing throughout Asia. I think most of their products are now made in China. Many say Coach bags are not what they used to be since production was moved offshore. Coach changed their specifications for quality and durability. It does not matter where the bags are made. They also know that a bag made to last forever is not conducive to repeat purchases.

My grandma also had wonderful sheets old as dirt. She used to send them out to be laundered and ironed because the DIY approach was inferior. Nowdays, most sheets are wrinkle resistant and don't require ironing. This has resulted in sheets that rarely stand the test of time as they once did.

For those willing to pay more, a lot more, high quality bed linens are still available and some of them are made in China. The masses however, seem to prefer cheap and replace as necessary.

The brand specifies quality, not the country that produces the product.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
Quote:
But could the US survive without Chinese goods?
A lot of changes have been made over the past 30 years in U.S. productions of steel, coal, cotton etc ...

One of the elements that caused the great depression was the American over production of goods, that flooded the markets driving the consumer prices down. Farming took a hit, because in order to make their farm mortgages, they produced more so as to sell more. (the U.S. has always made more than they consume, so as I have read)

Before the Depression, there was far less government, than there is today. Most that people knew of the government was where to buy a postal stamp.

So I say, no, there is no way to MAGA, because we'd first have to take the business models of the past, bring them forward and change our mind set, so as to get government out of our way and become the top producers once again. Not happening ... As Bush Jr. said, spoiled Americans.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
how's that MAGA working out for you? The same guy who gets all his ties made in China now wants to close shop?

Yeah right..

Wanna bet he didn't run it by Ivanka!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Low quality Chinese goods made with sweatshop conditions.. man, never thought anti-Trumpers would defend that... actually, yeah, I figured they would....

Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Low quality Chinese goods made with sweatshop conditions.. man, never thought anti-Trumpers would defend that... actually, yeah, I figured they would....
Quality is specified by the brand, not the factory in China. Got a problem with the quality of cheap crap, spend more and buy quality.

Some US importers inspect offshore factories that produce their stuff and some do not.

There was a buzz awhile back about " sweatshop " conditions at factories that produce some of the Trump Org imports. The response was that they have standards and expect the factories they use to comply. They choose not to inspect. They also choose not to disclose their standards.

Trump Org could choose to make their stuff in the US for no other reason than to put their practices in line with the rhetoric and lead by example.

I am hardly an anti- Trumper. Does not mean I drank the Kool- aid.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Anything made cheap and unsafe! Why worry about Chicom manufacturer techniques or how many people they hurt building our crap. No Government control on their stuffs makes it easy to compete on the world market....See how many OSHA and NFPA violations you count here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE8A6uMYXmw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies