Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 04:47 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yeah! The town shoe cobbler will again make shoes and sell them to people at the corner store and the blacksmith will make shovels and rakes.
Welcome to the 21st century: American Made Shoes: The Ultimate Source List - USA Love List Seriously, you didn't know there were shoes made in the USA?

And shovels: All-Steel USA-Made Professional Spades & Shovels - Garrett Wade The ones my grandfather bought in the US about 100 years ago are still in use, so I'm guessing these could be considered something to pass on to one's grandchildren. USA made!

Also, in this century, we have a thing called "google", and you can enter USA made and the item name that you are looking for, and get results!

Not sure where you are located, but many people across the US are involved in producing goods, and working for a living doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 04:48 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The device you used to type your post likely has some Chinese parts.
Mine says Made in USA.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:49 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?
I do, most of it is junk and does not last a week.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
It would be a bit harder on the US, but we will survive. China on the other hand, would collapse.

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.

I'd have to go naked, if not for my old high-school clothes I've saved. My Sony camera, my "Roadmaster" bicycle and most of my power tools were made there. Even my arctic parka is filled with down from Peking ducks.

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Would it be difficult? Probably. It might mean doing without cheap imported goods for a while, and yes, it would probably hurt our economy, perhaps badly.

Could we survive? Of course we could.
I have enough in my closet to last years, every thing I plant grows - I know how to fish n I used to have chickens, could do it again. So I'm good long as I get to work - 4 mi away

Old 09-04-2017, 04:53 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Mine says Made in USA.
https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/comp...de-in-america/ We have the manpower, the knowledge, the facilities and could move on this pretty quick.

Check Amazon for the reviews on Chinese manufactured products, many work for a month or two, if that, making the cost per use very high. Investing in USA made products is investing in our country!

Geesh, they (libs/Dems) want to continue to give our business to China while bringing in illegal aliens to mooch off the system, free college, free medical care and free childcare. Who pays the bills? That's right, Daddy paid the bills. Well, the US isn't the libs/Dems sugar daddy and without jobs there isn't any taxes to support all the "free stuff".

Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Wrong idea. It is doubtful that jobs will return to the US that is really a different subject.

What would happen is you move jobs out of China. And that is what you want to do to force some action out of the Chinese. And Walmart would likely be an important part of such an operation. They simply begin to move procurement to India,Thailand, Cambodia, Mexico, Brazil etc..

And you do it gradually but consistently...the Chinese will read the tea leaves.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:55 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We have no right to what you are talking about since we have been occupying a good part of the world to protect oil and other resources.

So unless you claim that the USA has some kind of "rights" that other countries don't have...I don't see your point.

As it stands vast numbers of European, Japanese and Chinese...and Saudis and others OWN a large part of our economy. Factories, real estate, mining and much more.

That water is LONG over the dam. We decided to be capitalists and being largely "free market" capitalists means the highest bidder can buy as much of the USA as they can pay for.
Like the refinery that shut down in Texas because of the flood, the largest in the US, and owned by Saudi Arabia and Royal Dutch Shell. It's all one world just waiting for the politics to catch up.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:56 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
How much crap do we really "need" anyway? Looking around me I could do without most of the material nonsense I have collected.

Though my vacuum sealer and crock pot are absolute necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies