Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:51 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Read the headline. If you need help with the big words let me know:
"1 in 10 say it's acceptable to hold neo-Nazi views (POLL)"

(Gotta be one of the lamest threads ever)
I did read the headlines.

I also read the article.

They asked about being a neo-nazi separately from supporting the alt-right. I'm assuming (since you avoided my question, to which I knew the answer to already) you think ABC defined the terms "alt-right" as neo-Nazi, but if that were the case, they should not have asked those two questions as they did.

More interesting that who thinks what of Neo-Nazis and the alt-right was the question of if the alt-right holds neo-Nazi views (more evidence of ABC not defining alt-right as neo-Nazi and you not having attempted to read the article), and 39% said they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 01:51 PM

46,290 posts, read 27,108,503 times
A lot of people with reading comprehension problems here....

Quote:
Partisan divisions are 33-22-42 percent, Democrats-Republicans-independents

Old 09-05-2017, 01:53 PM

46,290 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So assuming that republicans are roughly 50% of the country, that means 20% of their base think Neo Nazi views are ok...

but don't worry it is someone else's fault.

Except, in this pole, there were more dems than repubs asked...so, there goes your theory.....

Old 09-05-2017, 01:56 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
So assuming that republicans are roughly 50% of the country, that means 20% of their base think Neo Nazi views are ok...

but don't worry it is someone else's fault.

that number is about right it has come up time and time again. about 20%+ of right wing voters are in fact racists/ white supremacists. the good news is the despite them getting partial control of the republican party their numbers have not gone up while the left has finally awoken and with Trump's huge failure to anything good the independents are all moving left. (yes despite the denials from trump's remaining base.)

Old 09-05-2017, 01:57 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Labels are tough. They mean different things to different people.
That's for sure.

Quote:
There's definitely a strong contingent of hard right statists based on traditional conservative principles. Then there is another group with those same values who clearly do the whole white supremacy thing as well. Those folks call the hard right non-white supremacists "alt light". I suppose that makes the white supremacists the true alt right but again...these labels are fluid.

So if that is the label I don't know if 10% of the population agrees with the alt right. More than likely they are ok with the alt light definition I provided. The overwhelming number of Republicans are barely and I mean barely at the alt light level. The embracing of Trump by the alt right has much more to do with the fact that he's clearly an outsider even within his own party. It has little to nothing to do with his words/actions that people perceive as racist. They just hate Trump.

The alt-Left is actually the more interesting paradigm here. They don't have a clear line of division like the Right does.

On the Right you have...

Right
Alt-Light
Alt-Right

On the Left you only have...

Left
Alt-Left

That's why the Left in general is much more dangerous. Their mainstream stances spill over into the Alt-Left much more often and with greater impact. The lines on the Left are much more blurry.
Hmm well on the right it is or at least started out being stratified along self identified boundaries, as stated earlier "alt-right" started out as a self identification... even if it has since morphed.

That is another problem with labels... after they are created you cannot control who adopts them. Look at the guy who invented Pepe the frog and then killed him off when he saw the alt-right adopting it as a mascot. He definitely did not foresee that chain of events.

Alt-left on the other hand was not a self adopted label but rather a label placed on groups from people outside the group. So it makes sense that it would be more nebulous.

There are self identified groups on the left that are dangerous and worthy of derision, I would say ANTIFA being one of them. I wouldn't go so far as BLM since I do not believe the majority of people who would identify themselves as being in BLM are necessarily malicious, despite the rogue actors.

Where as I would define ANTIFA's self stated strategies as malicious, meaning you would have to at least tacitly support their actions to be part of the group.

It is not a bad thing to be against fascism... but it is a bad thing to be against fascism and willing to resort to violence of aggression (rather than defense) in your crusade against it.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The Democrats are all about identity politics, they are the ones who promote and endorse and encourage this type of us vs them group mentality.

You cannot get any more race-centric than to name your organization "The Race," as La Raza does, or Black Lives Matters. Both groups are not only praised by the Democratic Party, they are endorsed and promoted by it. And yet the dems always strive to try and make the Republican Party out to be one that concerns itself with a person's race or skin color.
And Donald Trump isn't? The rise of Trump is all about White identity politics. Old White farts got scared about changing demographics and turned to Daddy Trump after they saw him come down his golden escalator and bash Mexicans.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:00 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
On the Right you have...

Right
Alt-Light
Alt-Right.
On the right we have:

Rockefeller Republicans - the traditional (maybe Daddy Bush/IKE) Republicans.

Buckley Republicans - National Review types - snobby rich Republicans that exist mostly only in opposition to things

Goldwater Conservatives - slightly nationalist, conservative and states rights

Ron and Rand Paul Republicans - talking about small government and libertarianism, while acting the complete opposite.

Neo-Con and War everywhere Republicans - a bit of crossover here, but need I mention Iraq. Period.

Koch Republicans - believers in fossil fuels and deregulation of industry, etc. - and of tax cuts to put more and more money in their own pockets.

Reagan Republicans - were formerly democrats until they lost their job in the 70's and 80's.

Evangelical Republicans - Fundamentalists and Authoritarians who will pretty much vote for ANYONE who wears the GOP label. Not capable of seeing a difference between a Jimmy Carter and a Donald Trump, etc.

Soverign Nation and Prepper Republicans.
Alt-Right - Very rich hollywood guys (Bannon, Breitbart) who think they are radicals.
KKK, Nazis, Super-Racists
Militia and "2nd Amendment" Republicans are single issue. Put a 1 cent tax on bullets and you lose them.

Reagan Republicans - were democrats until they lost their jobs in the outsourcing of the 70's and 80's....

I could probably go on from there, but those are just some of the groups and sub-groups who might approve of Mr. Trump or Mr. Bannon.

No doubt moderates, independents and the left also have groups and subgroups. But in a general sense, liberals (those on the left) believe in the classic definition of equality, justice, equal rights, moving forward, happiness of the people, etc.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
If extrapolated to the entire US population, thats a larger population than the state of texas and close to the entire population of California that support a radical right wing movement. It looks like the lefts strategy of race conflict, tearing down white monuments , the browning of america massive illegal immigration and demographic displacement is having a great influence. Well done Antifa/BLM and left wingers

1 in 10 say it's acceptable to hold neo-Nazi views (POLL) - ABC News

https://twitter.com/wjfrisby/status/904417862374367232
What is this picture supposed to convey? The point of your post is hard to interpret...

Also, your statistic is kind of meaningless without any historical context. Is that 10% growing? Is it shrinking? How is it changing voting patterns (if at all)? I really can interpret nothing from this statistic...other than the fact that 10% support the "alt-right".

Put another way (in today's context), it's very obvious that Trump has a loyal following, and that following is likely not going away. Is that enough for him to win another election? Is it enough for another alt-right candidate to win?

Remember that 2016 was delivered by fence-sitters and Independents...if those people turn away (as many, many have), that strategy falls apart.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 09-05-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 02:14 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
10% is Higher than I expected, but I am not surprised. With the past 8 years of class warfare and the hard left trying to guilt all whites into admitting to sins we didn't commit. Add to this the BLM riots following Ferguson.
Now the war on statues that as little as 6 months ago weren't even mentioned. The butt hurt craze is out of control.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
"Alt Right" is just a euphemism for Neo-Nazis. You know, anti-Semites and Racists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies