Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM

319 posts, read 498,209 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the south and occasionally see some confederate flags and statues. I've always thought that it seemed a little odd that southerners would want to celebrate anything related to the civil war. Considering that the confederates lost the war, it seems like the southern states would want to erase any reminders of that part of history. So it seems a little bit ironic that liberals keep tearing them down. If I were a hard core liberal I would probably enjoy seeing confederate stuff because I could laugh at them and say "There's another reminder of the war you lost!" Am I the only person that sees the irony in liberals wanting to tear down confederate stuff, while southern conservatives are wanting to keep them up? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,659,447 times
Yep. And Jews would love to see swastikas all over Germany because they lost.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,004,028 times
Here's my take. I'm a Yankee, as long as that **** stays out of the Union states I don't care, unless they're part of some monument like the Gettysburg battlefield. Let the Southern left and right-wingers duke it out among themselves, no need to get involved unless you're a Southerner, an actual one, not a carpetbagger

Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,334,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I currently live in the south and occasionally see some confederate flags and statues. I've always thought that it seemed a little odd that southerners would want to celebrate anything related to the civil war. Considering that the confederates lost the war, it seems like the southern states would want to erase any reminders of that part of history. So it seems a little bit ironic that liberals keep tearing them down. If I were a hard core liberal I would probably enjoy seeing confederate stuff because I could laugh at them and say "There's another reminder of the war you lost!" Am I the only person that sees the irony in liberals wanting to tear down confederate stuff, while southern conservatives are wanting to keep them up? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I don't want my tax dollars to support the upkeep of confederate statues. If they want the stuff on private property that's fine. Let them announce their intentions on their own dime. Not on public property though.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 PM

24,682 posts, read 17,422,027 times
The Civil War was amazing and terrible at the same time and in the end there was a winner but both sides lost.
620,000 men from both sides died in the war. At the time there was only 31 million people in the entire US.
Amazing was the pride of the southerners that saw the war as an act of northern aggression and how they took up arms to fight their own kin and countrymen for the heritage that they believed was going to be taken from them by an oppressive government.
It is amazing how the country was divided along such deadly lines.

The end of the War finally united our country and I think statues that commemorate that should be on display. It is important history to remember to teach and talk about and marvel at how far we have all come since those days.

I think the people who want to take them down are misguided and are only acting because someone directed them ot get involved and the mob has taken over.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,816,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Here's my take. I'm a Yankee, as long as that **** stays out of the Union states I don't care, unless they're part of some monument like the Gettysburg battlefield. Let the Southern left and right-wingers duke it out among themselves, no need to get involved unless you're a Southerner, an actual one, not a carpetbagger
I actually, sort of, kind of, somewhat, agree with you.

On the other hand I think all this nonsense is just to sidetrack people and create another thing to hate, violently. THAT is certainly how the left have operated for more than 150 years. The southern left are the original carpetbaggers, they just traded their white cloaks and pointy hats for sheepskins. Wolves are still wolves.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,004,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I actually, sort of, kind of, somewhat, agree with you.

On the other hand I think all this nonsense is just to sidetrack people and create another thing to hate, violently. THAT is certainly how the left have operated for more than 150 years. The southern left are the original carpetbaggers, they just traded their white cloaks and pointy hats for sheepskins. Wolves are still wolves.
Meh, all I think is, if you're not from the South, this isn't your fight. Just look the other way, because just adding outside agitators is only gonna make things worse with emotions running so high. I've largely, if not completely, stayed away from the Charlottesville threads and the confederate statues threads. I'm neither white, black, or Southern. It's not my fight, and it shouldn't be your (as in all of you) fight if you are born and bred outside of the old Confederacy. So I suggest to my fellow liberals from the North and West, stay out of it, and I hope the conservatives do the same and observe my proposed Gentleman's Rule. And I do acknowledge, that getting too involved in these southern cultural clashes definitely hit the Democrats pretty hard.

I realize its one thing to push your cultural views on one place when you're not from there, and another to push a different cultural view, even if you are from that same place. Like, I think Southerners treat Northerners differently, with more hostility, when it comes to the statues, versus if it was a fellow Southerner wanting to take them down.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,281,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
I don't want my tax dollars to support the upkeep of confederate statues. If they want the stuff on private property that's fine. Let them announce their intentions on their own dime. Not on public property though.
This southern lady feels exactly the same way!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 PM

21,268 posts, read 19,892,097 times
The Confederate flags and statues are not a reminder that the South lost, they are a reminder that there are people today who wish the South won.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,413 times
I'm a liberal and I'm mostly indifferent on the issue.

I've said this before: I think the only people who can decide what statues stay and what statues go should be the people who's tax dollars have put it up (or will be putting it up... or taking it down, as that's not free either). Anyone else should mind their own business.

If it were in my community, as I said, I'm mostly indifferent. What I'd say is if there's some ambiguity in what we are or are not celebrating, then put up a plaque or something that clears it up.

"We do not celebrate slavery... here's Robert E. Lee"

Something more poetic than that, but you get the point.

As to liberals liking seeing the flag, you'll get a variety of viewpoints. The most common one right now is that it's a symbol of racism. That's how they see it. Maybe they should see it as a reminder of the south losing, but that's not how the people waving those flags feel and critics have made pretty clear their thoughts on it. So I don't know about should (should a Jew laugh at a Swastika as a reminder of the Nazi's defeat?), but they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies