Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 PM

17,370 posts, read 11,338,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The Confederate flags and statues are not a reminder that the South lost, they are a reminder that there are people today who wish the South won.
No, the greatest monument building period was about 1911 to commemorate the dead that fought in the war. That was the 50th anniversary of the Civil War and many people living in the South still had parents, brothers, grandparents that died in the war. They are quite aware they lost that war and they sure as hell didn't want it repeated. The monuments don't celebrate anything except commemorates loved ones that died.
As far as the Confederate flag goes, most people wouldn't recognize the Confederate flag if it was shoved in front of their face. The rebel flag you see was a battle flag, not the flag of the Confederate States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 11:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,270,877 times
I don't care about the statues.

However, no building that uses taxes from African Americans should have a Confederate Flag hanging from it.

The statues are neither here nor there to me.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:09 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,617,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I currently live in the south and occasionally see some confederate flags and statues. I've always thought that it seemed a little odd that southerners would want to celebrate anything related to the civil war. Considering that the confederates lost the war, it seems like the southern states would want to erase any reminders of that part of history. So it seems a little bit ironic that liberals keep tearing them down. If I were a hard core liberal I would probably enjoy seeing confederate stuff because I could laugh at them and say "There's another reminder of the war you lost!" Am I the only person that sees the irony in liberals wanting to tear down confederate stuff, while southern conservatives are wanting to keep them up? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
There were representatives from both parties in the Confederacy ... Same as Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies