Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,290,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Like the idea of Churches paying their taxes on profits, minus charity, and on all their real estate holdings, but prefer the governments involved (just about all) take that money to pay down deficits or cut taxes on people. I have always hated that my tax money goes to support a religion of fantasy.
A church does not have a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Less taxation for the rest of us.
Except that wont be the case. And since taxes are theft, the only proper,moral stance is to make us all tax exempt.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,600,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Tax all churches and allow them to deduct the amount of funds that are devoted to bona fide charitable endeavors.

Those that give out everything they bring in will be home free.

Those that devote their donations to maintaining their minister and their social center will be paying taxes.

There is no reason why all taxpayers should be subsidizing churches. With the exception of Salvation Army, most function as little more than a social center for the parishioners.
The efforts I just described were bona fide. I saw them myself.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 AM

35,755 posts, read 21,118,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The government can't effectively manage the money they do get. Why in the hell should we give them more?
I agree with this- now as for churches those mega center have 2 options - tax or give to the poor and hungry for the amount of that tax to include property tax. Small store front churches- leave them be- they usually try to help the very poor and drunk and addicts etc. and get people to do right give them hope. most of them hardly pay the light bill -

Old 09-06-2017, 05:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,658,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Less taxation for the rest of us.
ROFLMAO. Now, that right there is funny.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,658,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I agree with this- now as for churches those mega center have 2 options - tax or give to the poor and hungry for the amount of that tax to include property tax. Small store front churches- leave them be- they usually try to help the very poor and drunk and addicts etc. and get people to do right give them hope. most of them hardly pay the light bill -
IMHO, churches should pay property taxes since they use services such as fire and police which are generally paid for by property taxes.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:27 AM

45,254 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Churches get their money through voluntary giving so its not up to the rest of us to dictate where the money is spent.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why the churches only? Pull tax exempt from NAACP, NRA, Red Cross, AARP and all the others as well while you're at it I suppose. Why only the churches?
You are correct that tax-exempt status should be taken away across the board from everyone. This will put funding straight into city/state coffers for use. If they think an item should be tax-exempt, let them list all their purchases on their tax returns so it would be open to audits.

57,394 posts, read 26,310,785 times
How about taxing super packs and other political groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

10,835 posts, read 14,952,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
how about instead we allow businesses to repatriate money that is overseas right now, by giving them a favorable tax rate, and getting a piece of between $2.6 and $4 trillion dollars. even at ten percent tax on that money, that would be between $260 to 400 billion dollars going into government coffers.
Lower corporate tax rates to 0% which would make the US unbeatable in exports to world markets while guaranteeing job and income growth for all Americans.

Thing is if the economy is going full out throttle government handouts aren't needed.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies