Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times

Advertisements

what are your thoughts on citizenship at birth? Honestly if we were really concerned about security we would not grant it because terrorists certainly have the money to send their wives and wait until reunification occurs many years later with their kids US citizenship privileges.

The article is about Russian citizens however I know Asians flock to California and I'm sure those from the Middle East have their preferred destinations?

Russians Flock to Trump Properties to Give Birth to U.S. Citizens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:06 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,392 times
Here is an article on Asian birth tourism

Why birth tourism from China persists even as U.S. officials crack down - LA Times

Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
This should be eliminated immediately.

Why doesn't Congress do so? Seems like a slam-dunk to me.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I agree that Congress should mandate that at least one of the parents already be an American citizen.

I recall, back in the 1970s, of going to Big Bend National Park. I was visiting a very small hamlet on the edge of the Rio Grande and visited with the teacher of the only school in the area. I recall that he said he had some 15 students (he taught all grades, in one room), and that about half of them would cross the river each morning to attend class, returning in the afternoon. Seeing my puzzled face, he explained that when a pregnant Mexican woman (from the village on the other side) was close to delivery, she would simply cross the river, and 'give birth to an American'. She and baby would then return home, until such time as schooling (and medical attention, presumably) was needed.

Anyway, mandating that one parent be an American citizen does not seem unreasonable.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree that Congress should mandate that at least one of the parents already be an American citizen.
Seems reasonable to me.

Why don't they do it?

Would be a big hit with the base.

Does anyone else care one way or the other?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Seems reasonable to me.

Why don't they do it?

I agree with eliminating it.

But that would require a fundamental amendment to the constitution. And in this political climate I don't see that happening.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:26 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
This is an example of another loop hole in our immigration policy that too many are taking advantage of so it needs ot be stopped.
If you come here to have your baby we will help you deliver it in one of our fine hospitals but when baby and mom are good to go then they both go home. Why should the baby be given citizenship?

When you think about it the baby was smuggled into the country, he doesn't speak English, he cannot work so he will have to go on welfare and be dependent on charitable people/government for all of his needs. He will be a burden on us all.
I'm joking of course.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:31 AM

The Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution guarantees U.S. citizenship to those born in the United States, provided the person is "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States.

Those who are not here legally, are they "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Surprised to read that Canada, and Mexico also grant unconditional birthright citizenship.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Seems reasonable to me.

Why don't they do it?

The reason is that the prevailing legal thought is that it would require a Constitutional amendment, amending the Fourteenth Amendment. The Supreme Court has ruled that said Amendment means that one born on US soil is a citizen.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Looking around some, I see that the Republican platform during the two Reagan campaigns called for a Constitutional amendment. Said platform disappeared with George Bush the Elder.

Mr. Trump, prior to election, also called for at least one parent to be a citizen, although he has not mentioned it since becoming President. I saw where even Harry Reid has stated that it was 'insane' for there to be 'birthright citizenship' for children of illegals (both parents). Of course, Mr. Reid thought such in 1993 (per a bill he introduced), but he subsequently changed his mind.

This was an interesting article from 2015, which discusses some of the more technical problems:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ending-...t-citizenship/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies