Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:12 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Thankyou. Yep, anyone selling shares that WEREN'T planned in advance (as some are if you're high up in the company) are going to be facing insider trading charges.

The civil suit and fines are going to be massive, probably will take the company down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:13 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
Just like corporate welfare, white collar crime is acceptable.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:14 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Much as I'm loathe to rely on the government to solve problems, this is a situation where I think people need to be jailed for several reasons. First, there was obviously insider trading going on. Supposedly the guys who sold the stocks didn't know about the intrusion until after they sold it. If anyone believes that then they are imbeciles.

Second, most of us do not have any other choice but to be "customers" of these A-hole credit bureaus. I never signed up for experian, Equifax or TransUnion. But they have all my information regardless. It's a giant scam. Given that we don't have a choice but to associate with these cretins, the penalties when they mess up should be brutal.

This doesn't even take into consideration how unethical our credit system is to begin with. So you're very responsible and wise with your money and have no debt? Guess what, you are going to be punished and have a worse score than some jackass that spends irresponsibly. Just the governments way of making sure we don't save too much and are constantly spending.
Huh? I haven't had debt in almost a decade and I have a massive credit score.

I think that you might be missing something somewhere as to the real issue.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:22 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Much as I'm loathe to rely on the government to solve problems, this is a situation where I think people need to be jailed for several reasons. First, there was obviously insider trading going on. Supposedly the guys who sold the stocks didn't know about the intrusion until after they sold it. If anyone believes that then they are imbeciles.

Second, most of us do not have any other choice but to be "customers" of these A-hole credit bureaus. I never signed up for experian, Equifax or TransUnion. But they have all my information regardless. It's a giant scam. Given that we don't have a choice but to associate with these cretins, the penalties when they mess up should be brutal.

This doesn't even take into consideration how unethical our credit system is to begin with. So you're very responsible and wise with your money and have no debt? Guess what, you are going to be punished and have a worse score than some jackass that spends irresponsibly. Just the governments way of making sure we don't save too much and are constantly spending.
Um - credit bureaus are private businesses. The only role government could have in this case is to rein in the credit bureaus. Which I devoutly hope they will do.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,541,391 times
So why has our credit been handled by these 3 private credit unions since the test of time? I never understood it in the past and still don't. Shouldn't this be something the government handled? Anything that a creditor says will go through them. We have a chance to dispute any issue, but still. I called my bank today and they just only said that i have to monitor my bank account.

I hope these CEOs get their asses beaten in public.

Last edited by JL; 09-09-2017 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 05:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,782 times
Those head honchos need to be fired and investigated for selling their shares. This really is shameful.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:25 PM

1,235 posts, read 732,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Just like corporate welfare, white collar crime is acceptable.
Therein lays part of the problem.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,278,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um - credit bureaus are private businesses.
Quote:
Flat out, I believe the campaign for healthy credit is a marketing strategy perpetuated by the credit bureaus and banks. Healthy credit is the false aim, yet debt is the result. But here’s the crazy part: I don’t blame the credit bureaus or banks for our willingness to along with their marketing genius.

The credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion), you know, the ones that you thought were some sort of governmental agency, are for-profit companies. To be frank, bureau is a pretty good term to use when you want someone to think you are part of the government or some sort of quasi-governmental agency. But alas, they are a for-profit company with shareholders.
[..]
...the for-profit credit bureaus must remain very important to consumers. They need to market and sell credit monitoring and identity theft protect, as well as arbitrary scores to consumers. We obsess over our credit scores. We wear them like a medal of honor, proud of our ability to climb a fictitious number scale.
More: The Credit Bureaus Aren't Who You Think They Are

Old 09-09-2017, 05:40 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
So why has our credit been handled by these 3 private credit unions since the test of time? I never understood it in the past and still don't. Shouldn't this be something the government handled? Anything that a creditor says will go through them. We have a chance to dispute any issue, but still. I called my bank today and they just only said that i have to monitor my bank account.
No time like the present to learn. I don't think government should do the credit reporting, but I sure as hell think that government needs to hold credit reporters to stricter standards. And that goes for debt collectors too.

Credit reporting practices are a big reason why the Bureau of Consumer Protection - which IS an actual government agency - was formed. https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureau...mer-protection

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-09-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,691,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post

I hope these CEOs get their asses beaten in public.

The biggest issue is that we lack a "right to privacy" in our laws.. It's perfectly legal for businesses to collect & sell your personal information. They "own" whatever data they collect - it's not your property, it's theirs. The government uses that distinction to use your own data against you, so there's no incentive to change things.

Until we have a "right to privacy", the beatings will continue, and get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies