Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 08:13 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um - credit bureaus are private businesses. The only role government could have in this case is to rein in the credit bureaus. Which I devoutly hope they will do.
They have way too much control and you talk about Big Brother is watching, they see everywhere you spend and sell your information. There is a lot more going on than how you pay your mtg.
I think some of the customer services are overseas as well. I hope the stick them on the wall . They are really intrusive - in people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:38 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtarzek View Post
So is a class action lawsuits being started? If so how do we jump on board? It's about time our overlords faced some justice.
You have to wait & find out if you were a part of the breach first. Equifax said they would be notifying people involved in it by mail.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtarzek View Post
So is a class action lawsuits being started? If so how do we jump on board? It's about time our overlords faced some justice.
A class action will only serve to make some lawyers obscenely wealthy. It will do NOTHING to help or punish the corporation, the laws should/will take care of that.
A single lawsuit would be vastly more successful...

Old 09-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They have way too much control and you talk about Big Brother is watching, they see everywhere you spend and sell your information. There is a lot more going on than how you pay your mtg.
I think some of the customer services are overseas as well. I hope the stick them on the wall . They are really intrusive - in people's lives.
Can you imagine what will happen if/when the "cashless society,all transactions online only" group(s) get their way?

Old 09-10-2017, 10:45 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,946,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Can you imagine what will happen if/when the "cashless society,all transactions online only" group(s) get their way?
666 is on the horizon. Take the mark or die.

Revelation 13
[16] And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
[17] And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
[18] Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 AM

1,235 posts, read 732,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
A class action will only serve to make some lawyers obscenely wealthy. It will do NOTHING to help or punish the corporation, the laws should/will take care of that.
A single lawsuit would be vastly more successful...
Makes no sense at all. A single lawsuit bought by whom? For the benefit of whom? A group of people suing is a class action law suit. That group ~ arguably would have been affected. In this case, millions were affected.

So the 143MM individuals who were/are affected by this breach should each sue on their own merits? How would that even work? Depending on any individual's damages now and in the future?

Old 09-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Makes no sense at all. A single lawsuit bought by whom? For the benefit of whom? A group of people suing is a class action law suit. That group ~ arguably would have been affected. In this case, millions were affected.

So the 143MM individuals who were/are affected by this breach should each sue on their own merits? How would that even work? Depending on any individual's damages now and in the future?
I actually should have said that a single lawsuit would have the same effect as a class action except it wouldn't be making a bunch of attorneys very wealthy. It'd still draw in the Feds, still obtain a verdict with a huge penalty and still get plenty of news coverage.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
Wrong. The TOU only applies to their products that you use.

You can input your info to see if your data was stolen without having to sign up.

I did it 5 times...3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no. Then it asks you to sign up for your free 1 year monitoring.
You don't waive anything for just trying to find out. But you may get multiple answers like I did.
This exactly!

Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,385 times
Good to hear but 70 billion is not nearly enough. Freaking half the country had their identity and personal financial information stolen. Your sense of security and privacy is priceless, and this company completely destroyed all that. How much is fair compensation to each of the 140 million people who had their most private and personal information stolen from them? 70 billion is just a start. They will be paying ten times as much when all is said and done.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I did it 5 times...3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no. Then it asks you to sign up for your free 1 year monitoring.
You don't waive anything for just trying to find out. But you may get multiple answers like I did.
Geeze. I did mine three times, but only because I'm compulsive that way, and it came up no all three times. I also did it for my parents and they also came back no, but I only did it once for each for them. Now I'm going to have to call them back and get their numbers and do it again, and they're going to freak out about it. They are fairly computer illiterate and this kind of stuff scares the heck out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies