Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:06 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,273,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The problem with this is that you have no proof of this except maybe waters could be slightly warmer than they used to be and I don't know if this is true or not. But water temperatures also change from decade to decade, century to century. More moisture in the air? How is this possible when the tropics have always been extremely moist and humid? You can only have 100% humidity at most, not 110%.
The storms are more intense? How do you know this? One storm named Irma is very large and intense. That's one storm. Do you know if a storm in 1612 was as intense or even more intense than Irma? Maybe in 1702 there were several storms more intense than Irma. There's no way to know because they had no way of measuring storms except what people in the region experienced. There were no satellite images, nor equipment to measure a storms intensity. I don't think you know because no body does. You're statement is just conjecture, nothing factual.
Scientists keep records of the ocean temperatures, that's how we know, lol.

Warmer atmosphere can hold more moisture which in turn means bigger storms and more rain. Yes, scientists keep track of these things too!

They also keep track of rising sea levels. Amazing!

All these ingredients contribute to stronger storms.

I don't know why I have to talk to climate deniers like I talk to my 5 year old son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 10:09 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,508,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am in Orlando - and a native. Since all the snowbirds and retirees have flocked to the state, we went from blue to red. Republicans used to be in South Fl with the Cuban community- and sprinkled here and there throughout Fl. The last few years the baby boomers have overcrowded the state with conservatives. Now with Hurricane Irma, will they go home? The majority have property still in their home state. Just a thought. Opinion?
I'm one of those millenial conservatives who fled NY. There's quite a few more of my friends like minded looking to leave NY. Irma and Jose miss us... they'll be here in a year or two. Plan for about 50 60 25-35 year olds leaving NY and coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In 7 of the last 10 Presidential elections, Florida has voted Republican so it's hard to say Florida going back to blue unless you're talking before 1960.

It appears right now that your Republican Governor is doing a fantastic job as is Trump and his administration but who knows the political effect. I do think a certain number of people will move away and that number is probably going to be somewhat due to how bad the devastation is which right now looks like a coming horror film.
I beg to differ. They knew for weeks. WEEKS that a hurricane of this magnitude was coming. Last frigging minute, army corps of engineers drained lake Okeechobee. Way to go dinks. Should have done it 2 weeks ago. We had an un-usually dry summer. The "rivers" which are nothing more than creeks, were almost bone dry around me, so were the causeways and drainage ditches. Now they're back up to where they normally would be. If we got the swell they predicted from Fort Pierce down to Jensen Beach would be under water because they had to purge the lake...

Cmon guys... this isn't a freak lake effect blizzard that popped up out of nowhere... you knew WEEKS ahead of time... this is what gets me... never mind the incessant fear mongering from the Weather Channel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I grew up near New Orleans and recently went home for a visit and was reminded of just how much I feel that area is not fit for human habitation with water everywhere, mosquitos, fire ants, snakes, gators...humans should live elsewhere in my view and I took that view and left for good.
Only the strong survive. I work both out in the searing sun and in a shop without air conditioning. Closest thing to being in an oven you will come to. Fire ants suck but they're not a plague. However.... those cockroaches the size of my fist irk me to no end. "Yeah well we don't have mice" yeah because your roaches ate them. "They're not roaches! They're palmetto bugs!" Whatever you have to tell yourself to sleep at night I suppose...
Gators, I haven't seen many, only 2 or 3. And that was over in Okeechobee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The storms in both Texas and Florida as well as all the other recent climate anomalies should start changing many opinions on climate change and, hopefully, many red states to blue.
Nope. Think about it. Out there in the ocean with little to no cloud cover the sun down here is absolutely brutal. First time I legitimately worked a 10 hour day in this searing sun I had skin peel off of my face and arms. Go jump in the pool it's 87°. You mean to tell me, with direct sunlight hammering bodies of water has nothing to do with the water warming? Have you ever seen the fog roll off of a lake in NY around September October November when the temperature drops real fast? Water is a great insulator. Bodies of warmer waters do have effects on storms... you go and try and tell me what effect carbon dioxide plays on water. I'm all ears buddy. I had freak blizzards pop up out of the blue due to the lakes contributing to a small storm. Let's hear it. I'm all ears.

How about instead of Al Gore contributing to C02 accumulation, and wasting money in research to watch, how about go build something like a drilling rig or a few barges, with pumps and super coolers to circulate water from the depths up to the surface, cool the water? Go in a deep pool down here. Sure it's going to be bathtub warm first 3 feet. Dive down to 12 15 feet. That water is cooler. Not by much but certainly noticeable.

That's why I can't take you climate change folks serious. Claim to be about science, and that we're ignorant of it... but it's all talk on your end. And money going for lip service and fear mongering. I don't buy it. Not for one minute. C02 is denser than 02. How is something from a tail pipe at most, 3 feet above the ground making its way up to the atmosphere? Flourides and other lighter gases found in things like refrigerants and other chemicals yes I can see getting up into the atmosphere.

with all of that money the EPA generates in revenue, it being 2017, you expect me to believe they can't engineer some sort of catalyst to go on a light weight vehicle or even a blimp to go up and clean the atmosphere? Pfft. Okay. Taxes, fines, credits, aren't going to do a damn thing. Never mind all of the state and local level bureaucracies that enforce environmental codes. Ya'll act like if the epa were dissolved tomorrow the world would end...

Still PCBs in the Hudson river.
Flint still getting contaminated water...
But spend millions if not billions worrying about exhaust emissions... and worrying about fossil fuel consumption to push the agenda for "alternative fuel sources"

I love E85. 115 octane rating. Half ton really chits n gets when I fill it with E85.
Powerstroke 6.0s and 7.3s and other older diesel engines pre emissions BS to emit rainbows unicorns and puppy dogs, benefit tremendously on fuel economy with waste veggie oil running through them. Smell either like French fries or fish market depending where you get the oil from.
I'd drive a Bob tailed duece and a half daily. Injectors in those are almost invincible, can run jet fuel, diesel, kerosene, waste engine oil cut with a little diesel, transmission fluid anything remotely volatile through those things!

No fancy high pressure common rail fuel system that's more sensitive than a snowflake millenial

Those old school diesels just run and run on whatever you feed them.

Quote:
I'm a native-64 and hardly ignorant, and I dislike trumpettes --there- said my peace before the storm-

Florida's voting record in 20 presidential elections - Orlando Sentinel

that's our voting history --and BIG cities count-
Oh you'll be thanking us when we come with our lifted trucks to come save ya.
Everyone bashes Trump supporters and rednecks but we're the ones who will go out of our way to save your skin regardless of color, and not even expect so much as a thank you for it. It's what we do. We don't cower and hide like Lib politicians and make excuses up. It'll take 4 foot of water to do any sort of damage to the on board electronics in my work truck. But go on and bash me and others like me saying were compensating for something. let's see your prius cruise down roads under 2 3 feet of water
Who's going to be out in that heat and humidity to help rebuild your houses?
Who's going to run machinery to clear roads of debris? After all, were the blue collar coal mining and farm tending bumpkins LOL

Certainly won't be some limp wristed sociology major student with man bun rompers/skinny jeans and being offended all of the time.

That's why I'm staying. 7k national Guard is a joke, the counties are so big down here 7k might benefit an area the size of Fort Lauderdale with how densely populated places are. Ya'll are going to need all of the help you can get.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:32 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,296,648 times
Quote:
we have no political with a mega storm just trying to deviate my mind off a bit - this morning
There actually are politics being discussed on one level, especially for those in the path and tracking every move the storm makes.

The European hurricane model has been much more accurate than any of the US models. The reason is that the Europeans have invested heavily in the scientific research and resources needed to accurately predict the storm paths.

Why we even use the USA models any more seems odd, given the accuracy of the European model.

The fact that the government is now taking resources away from science that can save lives and money is beyond idiotic.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:51 AM

35,769 posts, read 21,130,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can believe that just like turning Florida blue. May as well toss in x-ray vision while we are make believing.
You don't know what I do- you assume- My whole thing with the question, was regarding the elderly or retirees which have proved to be republicans for the most part. I wonder if they will continue to stay with these kinds of storms. Young people can move get up a tree etc-. the older people can't even bring in the lawn chairs-from outside. So I think my question is valid as many came to get away from the cold. If i was retired and need warm weather - I'd go to Arizona- I, myself, am contemplating Panama. Hubby was stationed there so I know it well. Weather might work out more favorably.
and so what if it turns red??

Old 09-09-2017, 10:54 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,296,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'm one of those millenial conservatives who fled NY. There's quite a few more of my friends like minded looking to leave NY. Irma and Jose miss us... they'll be here in a year or two. Plan for about 50 60 25-35 year olds leaving NY and coming down.

I beg to differ. They knew for weeks. WEEKS that a hurricane of this magnitude was coming. Last frigging minute, army corps of engineers drained lake Okeechobee. Way to go dinks. Should have done it 2 weeks ago. We had an un-usually dry summer. The "rivers" which are nothing more than creeks, were almost bone dry around me, so were the causeways and drainage ditches. Now they're back up to where they normally would be. If we got the swell they predicted from Fort Pierce down to Jensen Beach would be under water because they had to purge the lake...
So that is on the Florida government (which is not blue by any means). And frankly, I've never been a Rick Scott fan, but think he's done an excellent job of preparing, leading, organizing and helping the state get through this. My only complaint is that if he cared more about science to begin with, we would be better off.

Quote:
How about instead of Al Gore contributing to C02 accumulation, and wasting money in research to watch, how about go build something like a drilling rig or a few barges, with pumps and super coolers to circulate water from the depths up to the surface, cool the water? Go in a deep pool down here. Sure it's going to be bathtub warm first 3 feet. Dive down to 12 15 feet. That water is cooler. Not by much but certainly noticeable.

That's why I can't take you climate change folks serious. Claim to be about science, and that we're ignorant of it... but it's all talk on your end. And money going for lip service and fear mongering. I don't buy it. Not for one minute. C02 is denser than 02. How is something from a tail pipe at most, 3 feet above the ground making its way up to the atmosphere? Flourides and other lighter gases found in things like refrigerants and other chemicals yes I can see getting up into the atmosphere.
I'm going to repeat my post regarding science. It matters. More than your big giant trucks that you think will save everyone.

The European hurricane model has been much more accurate than any of the US models. The reason is that the Europeans have invested heavily in the scientific research and resources needed to accurately predict the storm paths.

The fact that the government is now taking resources away from science that can save lives and money is beyond idiotic.

Science will save us and I believe your view is massively short-sighted.

Quote:
Oh you'll be thanking us when we come with our lifted trucks to come save ya. Everyone bashes Trump supporters and rednecks but we're the ones who will go out of our way to save your skin regardless of color, and not even expect so much as a thank you for it. It's what we do. We don't cower and hide like Lib politicians and make excuses up. It'll take 4 foot of water to do any sort of damage to the on board electronics in my work truck. But go on and bash me and others like me saying were compensating for something. let's see your prius cruise down roads under 2 3 feet of water .That's why I'm staying. 7k national Guard is a joke, the counties are so big down here 7k might benefit an area the size of Fort Lauderdale with how densely populated places are. Ya'll are going to need all of the help you can get.
Nobody is bashing you. It is you who appear to be bashing others. I don't need your lifted truck--thanks. I'll stick with science.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:01 AM

33,592 posts, read 18,213,853 times
People here on the SW Coast are facing 120 and above winds with storm surge affecting close to 1 million poeople. Pray for Florida and the people. It is horrendous what could happen.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:04 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,834,495 times
Quote:
I am in Orlando - and a native. Since all the snowbirds and retirees have flocked to the state, we went from blue to red. Republicans used to be in South Fl with the Cuban community- and sprinkled here and there throughout Fl. The last few years the baby boomers have overcrowded the state with conservatives. Now with Hurricane Irma, will they go home? The majority have property still in their home state. Just a thought. Opinion?
Florida voted for Obama both times. I still think its a swing state that could go either way. The northern half of the state is more red and the southern half is more blue. If Irma does have any impact on the politics of the state, I would think it would be more likely to make it more red since it's the southern part of the state that will be taking the brunt of it.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:08 AM

Oh you'll be thanking us when we come with our lifted trucks to come save ya.
Everyone bashes Trump supporters and rednecks but we're the ones who will go out of our way to save your skin regardless of color, and not even expect so much as a thank you for it. It's what we do. We don't cower and hide like Lib politicians and make excuses up. It'll take 4 foot of water to do any sort of damage to the on board electronics in my work truck. But go on and bash me and others like me saying were compensating for something. let's see your prius cruise down roads under 2 3 feet of water
Who's going to be out in that heat and humidity to help rebuild your houses?
Who's going to run machinery to clear roads of debris? After all, were the blue collar coal mining and farm tending bumpkins LOL

Certainly won't be some limp wristed sociology major student with man bun rompers/skinny jeans and being offended all of the time.

That's why I'm staying. 7k national Guard is a joke, the counties are so big down here 7k might benefit an area the size of Fort Lauderdale with how densely populated places are. Ya'll are going to need all of the help you can get.[/quote]

First of all I do not need saving- in fact my coworkers are in Texas now some are back now. I have no issue with rednecks/ blacks hispanics or anyone else's culture or color- and have raised my own chickens so?
My veins run red white and blue- buried my Army Vet and forward we go! Those who voted Trump- are about 80% of those I know. == trumpettes are those who would only bash and not help at all- and as in other threads, complaining why they spending their tax dollars when we chose to live by the ocean or in your case a big lake? those are the trumpettes- the ones never leave their back yards but complain about everything and everybody.
Do I like mr T said it many times NO- but, would take the bullet if had to - he is the POTUS. I do applaud him getting Fed help early- that includes tricky Ricky too. Got this one right.
as for nature-- I think of all the explosives the world shoots like little Kim into the ocean-- there has to be repercussions. To every action there is a reaction.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
People here on the SW Coast are facing 120 and above winds with storm surge affecting close to 1 million poeople. Pray for Florida and the people. It is horrendous what could happen.
I have family in bradenton- and tampa its a mess praying all be ok

Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,648,738 times
Quote:
i don't believe it is anything like enough to convince low information voters (the vast majority) that the dems are better. from what i see of the Republican floridians that i know they are way too deep in the kool aid. I have a bunch of folk FL, we visit all the time. many of the folk we know have gone all shotgun and beans from 24/7 fox , infowars etc. most were mixed on Trump but believe Hillary is actually the devil. kind of sad really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies