Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:06 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Truman, a Democrat, and the only President to have ever used atomic weapons, set the precedent.
And?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 04:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
funny, for over 50 years the left didn't have a problem with the President having that power, now that Trump is President they have a problem.'

For over 200 years we didn't have a POTUS so emotionally needy he'd make up phone calls praising himself either. Doesn't exactly speak of the stability you'd think someone with the launch codes should have.

Last edited by burdell; 09-14-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And?
I was addressing your "shocked" state when you learned a 70+ year fact. A person can never get too much education.

You are welcome.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:21 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Of course.
Any missile launch logically comes from the combined agreement of a lot of people who are all very aware of the destruction such a thing would cause.

The person who pushes the button, or flips the switch- whatever the instrument may be that finally sets the decision into action- is only the last person in the long line, not the first or only person involved in it.

There is one single difference between a nuclear weapon and all the others that came before it; the certainty of mass death of such scale as to end all future conflict.

All other weapons throughout history offered such mass death as a possibility, but never a certainty.

Since an exchange of nuclear weaponry would be the end of both nations, the decision to engage is simply too important to leave up to one person alone.
Yes, and lets hope that the last person in that long line is the one that checks the sanity of all those before him.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I was addressing your "shocked" state when you learned a 70+ year fact. A person can never get too much education.

You are welcome.
You provided nothing.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:24 PM

20,461 posts, read 12,381,706 times
about like a liberal to slap a bureaucratic morass on the guys that have seconds to respond to a threat, so they take days or weeks.

way to go LEFT. make it so we can respond to a nuclear attack after all our nukes have been nuked by our enemies.

you people just stink.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:33 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
I don't think it's true that the President can launch a nuclear (nucular for you Democrats) attack on his own. I wouldn't trust what a couple of op-ed writers say (and I can't read the story because the site demands that I turn off my ad blocker, and I refuse. I don't want to be bombarded with ads just to read their garbage.)

Old 09-14-2017, 04:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
funny, for over 50 years the left didn't have a problem with the President having that power, now that Trump is President they have a problem.'

if North Korea strikes first, the President has every authority to strike back and if our intel has evidence that NK is about to strike, the President has every right to strike to prevent that.

If FDR knew that the Japenese Imperial Navy was going to attack Pearl Harbor in a few days or less, the President has every right to strike them first to prevent that attack. He doesn't need Congress permission but a President will advise congress with our intel department to what's going on.
I noticed that too. They seem to think Trump is some kind of "hot head," unstable, etc. They had no problem with the last idiot who made deals with people who want to destroy us.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I don't think it's true that the President can launch a nuclear (nucular for you Democrats) attack on his own. I wouldn't trust what a couple of op-ed writers say (and I can't read the story because the site demands that I turn off my ad blocker, and I refuse. I don't want to be bombarded with ads just to read their garbage.)

GWB was a Democrat?

WHO knew?

Old 09-14-2017, 04:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Op-ed argues that Congress should amend the War Powers Act

The saber rattling currently taking place between the White House and North Korea makes clear that it's time for Congress to close a dangerous loophole, write two op-ed writers in the New York Times.

We Need to Curb President's Power to Launch Nuclear War: Opinion
Even experts agree that things have changed and that it would be better to change the system. This is due to numerous factors - but, for example, Russia could fire 100 nukes to the USA and we don't need to send our before they land. Our subs can destroy any place on the planet in no time.

I would sleep better at night knowing there were more checks on this.

Actually, while JFK had a showdown with the Ruskies, Nixon was certifiably mad (mentally ill) and had lost sleep for a week or so and was heavy on the bottle. His staff thought he might set off a nuke (Vietnam) and they all agreed they would NOT let him do it.

Think about our current system. Nixon - AFTER he announced his resignation and was disgraced - could have blown up the world. Trump - if he gets caught up in the Russia thing and it looks like jail or impeachment....could do the same thing.

This is also an argument for twice yearly mental health checks on the top officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies