Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

I worked for someone in the mid-'90s who used to refer to me as his "girl" when talking to clients, something he never did with the young men who worked for him. He would call them by name, but apparently I wasn't worthy of the distinction. He was a verbally-abusive and condescending jerk who had a nasty habit of throwing chairs when he was frustrated. It was a good job with excellent pay for the time, but after three months of his crap, I'd had enough and quit without a backward glance.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Very early in my career I encountered a couple old fossils who thought women did not belong among the ranks. After several "giving it as good as I got" encounters complete with sarcasm and cussing right back like a sailor, plus doing as well or better a job as my male counterparts, they came around and I do miss them (long since passed away). They were the among the most vociferous in my corner when times were tough.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
No. I entered the military in 1975 in an occupation that had only been open to women for 2 years. Another occupation where I was only 1 of 2 females and all other jobs, where both men and women worked side-by-side with equal pay, benefits and appreciation.

I saw a female get a job as a mechanic on the flight line. She could not even lift her own tool box, probably not even some of the tools, so a man had to do that for her. This is not equality. Saw the same thing in some other jobs, women playing that "poor little me" with the men to get them to do parts of their job that they were getting equal pay and benefits for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. IMO many women self-oppress by acting too girly or feminine.
I see something close to this. Those women with vagina hats come to mind, they want to impress their difference, I guess. The way I see it, some women, and I have known many, want to be equal only when it works to their advantage, the rest of the time they play the "poor little weak me needs some big strong man to do that for me" and they are pain in the butt for anyone that has to deal with them. Equal means equal ALL the time! These are the women that feel oppressed, the ones that can't or won't hold up their own end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_turtles View Post
It's a myth. Today's claim of opression is about getting MORE than what is equal.
Yes. Again, equal is equal all the time, not just when it works to a woman's advantage.

Having been born in the 1950s, I know what it looks like for a woman to be oppressed. I grew up believing I was equal to a male, and didn't allow anyone to oppress me which is much easier when you hold up your own end and don't play "the woman card"!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No. I entered the military in 1975 in an occupation that had only been open to women for 2 years. Another occupation where I was only 1 of 2 females and all other jobs, where both men and women worked side-by-side with equal pay, benefits and appreciation.
Ugh. I know these women and they were the reason my job was harder at first than it might have been. The only reason they were there was because they were women. They sucked at the job and created tension where none needed to be.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:41 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Women and men aren't equal in areas of physical strength for the most part. (There are rare exceptions).
I'd like to see fire, police and military have the same physical fitness requirements for everyone. Not a slower run time, less pullups, etc for women. I am a woman, but think those guidelines are just stupid.
Many studies show women are not paid less than men for the same work. Most women take more time off for work to raise kids, pregnancy, sick days, etc. I've worked in traditionally mens'careers and was paid the same or more. It comes down to negotiating skills, and educating yourself about what the average pay is for the job. Inability to negotiate and taking a job for less money is the employees fault...not sexism.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothick View Post
Interesting responses. Related to this topic, please watch this and tell me if you would agree with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOmIIAact4s
1. No I don't feel oppressed. Neither do any of the women I know, and liberals continually telling us that we are doesn't make it so.

2. I was going to post a long response to your question but Bastion 79 much nailed it.

3. People like the moron in your video - with her word salad of SJW jibberrish - just give me a headache.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I have been sexually harassed in the distant past, and hit the payroll disparity at one company ( all the women there did) but, no I can't say I've ever felt oppressed here in America. Oppression is a pretty strong word.
What she said. ^^

I have been targeted and sexually harassed at my place of employment now in two different companies - the last time was about 7-8 years ago.

Now that I'm in my fifties ~ I'm no longer sexually harassed in corporate America - I'm just invisible.

Ladies who are working - plan to have ALL this completed by age 50 IF you ever want to be promoted.

1. Be done raising your kids
2. IF you want a promotion at work - get it before age 50. That's pretty much the cutoff date for a woman in corporate America.

You're welcome.

Is that oppression? I have no idea.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Yes, in younger years (30+ years ago) Was even told If I was a man with my resume....

But they did me a favor, went out and started my own business. Where I had control and didn't have to put up with office crap.

We can not say there's not oppression going on with the political environment voting in what they did.

We don't live other people's experiences so THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW WHAT THEY GO THROUGH.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:49 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Ugh. I know these women and they were the reason my job was harder than it might have been. The only reason they were there was because they were women. They sucked at the job and created tension where none needed to be.
My FIL was a squadron commander in the '70s when women were being integrated into the military. He's told a lot of stories about that time in recent years, and his perception is that while there were challenges, the weight of the tool boxes being one of them, he is very positive about having had women on the flight line. There were adjustments to be made as women were put into traditionally male jobs, but one of the things that he has made very clear is that those adjustments were the point. The tool boxes were so heavy that many men also struggled to carry them, so changes were needed and it was an opportunity to ensure that none of his mechanics would be held back from doing their jobs based on an unwieldy piece of equipment. Another story that he tells quite often is about pitting the men against the women and seeing the women kick the men's butts! He says everyone raised their game, and the number of engines that had to be cycled back through the engine shop plummeted as a result.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-13-2017 at 09:04 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
with her word salad of SJW jibberrish - just give me a headache.
It's all Greek to you, right?
Greek being a language that you, most likely, don't understand but which is perfectly able to convey information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies