Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

SO the statues are removed which leaves a large concrete base which looks ridiculous.

I wonder if BLM will put up their own statue of...... Obama? or any of their fallen heroes like Michael Brown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 01:38 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes, but only 2 of them were from out of state. BTW, the pro-confederate group was from out of state, but said that that they had been "asked" by local residents to be there based on responses to a Facebook posting. I wonder if they could actually name REAL names?
The pro-Confederate rally was finished and over with before noon. The rest of the day were the counter-protesters who marched on numerous streets many blocks away from the monuments and left trash everywhere for the city to clean up. I was in Richmond and saw them arrive by the busload. I watched one group come off of five buses from the same company with out of state plates. The counter-protesters were highly disruptive to the residents of Richmond who had nothing to do with this event.

Counter-protesters charge streets following pro-Confederate rally

Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The pro-Confederate rally was finished and over with before noon. The rest of the day were the counter-protesters who marched on numerous streets many blocks away from the monuments and left trash everywhere for the city to clean up. I was in Richmond and saw them arrive by the busload. I watched one group come off of five buses from the same company with out of state plates. The counter-protesters were highly disruptive to the residents of Richmond who had nothing to do with this event.

Counter-protesters charge streets following pro-Confederate rally
The residents of Richmond were fearful of the original protestors coming to their city, as was noted in many articles. That may be because the original protestors were armed (as they had the right to be, given Virginia's open carry law). It's interesting that you quote an article titled "Counter-protestors Charge Streets", which is the reporters opinion, Imo, but fail to note that the same article says that many residents of the city agreed with the counter protestors. Anyway, I'm done with this thread - my garden is calling to me.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The residents of Richmond were fearful of the original protesters coming to their city, as was noted in many articles. That may be because the original protesters were armed (as they had the right to be, given Virginia's open carry law). It's interesting that you quote an article titled "Counter-protesters Charge Streets", which is the reporters opinion, Imo, but fail to note that the same article says that many residents of the city agreed with the counter protesters. Anyway, I'm done with this thread - my garden is calling to me.
I'm guessing you don't travel in this part of VA as open carry of side arms is pretty common and no one here is fearful or takes a double take when seeing one on someones belt. Gun shops are nearly as plentiful as 7-11's. The residents were fearful of the counter protesters as they are the ones who have caused the most damage and left the most refuse in city after city. People in this part of VA will smile and nod as if they agree as to not have to have a confrontation. This does not mean they agree with them. This is something outsiders do not understand about Southern culture.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
Open Cary is EXTREEMLY rare in the city of Richmond (and in western Henrico, Midlothian, Bon Air etc).
Don't pretend like it's a normal thing for folks with guns to roam the streets. I do a double take every time I see someone packing and it makes me incredibly uncomfortable. Yahoos afraid of their neighbors are not to be trusted, IMHO.

I live downtown at the Maggia Lena Walker monument. The counter-protesters (who organized literally 30 feet from my door) did not bother me at all and left zero litter.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:50 AM

They're back.....

Pro-confederate group returns to Monument Avenue | WRIC

Old 12-09-2017, 03:47 PM

Snow scared most away.

https://rvamag.com/news/virginia-new...this-year.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies