Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 AM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
It's always been odd that some people want to go where they know nobody, and share no values with anybody there! Why is that, except to be disruptive? I know I can't imagine finding a place where there's nothing of interests to me, and I decide that's where I'm going!

It's not like this was the only diner in town.
Technically they weren't going there to eat. I doubt any of the Civil Rights activists would have been so stupid to actually eat a meal that a known bigoted restaurant owner had made. It was about defeating Jim Crow and the government made regulations even though no ones rights were violated. Quite a few businesses were forced to follow Jim Crow against their will.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,292,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What I can't figure out about this thread is how it got deflected from the subject of removal by the board of supervisors of Dallas of the Gen. Lee statue to Reparations for black people.
Right here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You see everyone, in spite of these statues being up for so long, they are finally coming down all across the nation. The next thing to finally happen will be reparations for slavery and Jim Crow.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,688,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Right here?
That's one person's partisan opinion not based on facts or links. The subject of this thread is the removal of the R.E.Lee statue from the Dallas park. Shifting to imaginary reparations for black people and the fear every white will have to pay for them is a bare faced deflection from the issue. A standard tactic in the war of words between alt right and rational discussion, IMO.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,380,141 times
Default Dallas removes Robert E Lee statue from city park

The big bad statue hurt my little feelings, what a bunch of

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-16-2017 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: language

Old 09-16-2017, 02:07 PM

73,157 posts, read 62,859,558 times
Quote:
It's always been odd that some people want to go where they know nobody, and share no values with anybody there! Why is that, except to be disruptive? I know I can't imagine finding a place where there's nothing of interests to me, and I decide that's where I'm going!

Based on the post you replied to, I won't pull any punches on this. Only a diehard segregationist would try the strawman argument that you pulled. Why would someone go to a place where they don't know anyone, where they don't share the values? What values are you talking about? Name them.

And to answer the first question, it's because this is America and people have a right to live and be where they want to be. If one segment of the population is not being afforded that right, there is a problem. If you really believe that someone would only go somewhere unfamiliar because they want to cause trouble, that reflects on your mentality. I've been plenty of places where I was very unfamiliar with and didn't know the area. Guess what? I understood I had every right to be there. No one could stop me from being there. I knew I wasn't there to start trouble. I was here because I had a purpose or I truly wanted to be there.

And so what if it wasn't the only diner in town? That isn't the point.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:12 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,292,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
That's one person's partisan opinion...
Yah? So? You said you couldn't figure out how the thread's focus changed, so I pointed out where reparations were brought up in the thread.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:50 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,735,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Spent a lot of time in Lee Park when I was younger, they used to give free concerts and the area is beautiful. Sad to see the Statue go, it is a work of art and should be retained someplace people can view it.
Going to cost approximately $400,000 to remove it and redo the area, me thinks the "outraged" should foot the Bill.
If Dallas can afford to pay for useless bridge spans to hype its real estate market, $400k would be the proverbial "drop in the bucket "

Old 09-16-2017, 03:56 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,981,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If Dallas can afford to pay for useless bridge spans to hype its real estate market, $400k would be the proverbial "drop in the bucket "
Good t know you think it is chimp change, You pay for it.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,599,053 times
Quote:

Srsly? Please tell me this is satire.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,229,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Based on the post you replied to, I won't pull any punches on this. Only a diehard segregationist would try the strawman argument that you pulled. Why would someone go to a place where they don't know anyone, where they don't share the values? What values are you talking about? Name them.

And to answer the first question, it's because this is America and people have a right to live and be where they want to be. If one segment of the population is not being afforded that right, there is a problem. If you really believe that someone would only go somewhere unfamiliar because they want to cause trouble, that reflects on your mentality. I've been plenty of places where I was very unfamiliar with and didn't know the area. Guess what? I understood I had every right to be there. No one could stop me from being there. I knew I wasn't there to start trouble. I was here because I had a purpose or I truly wanted to be there.

And so what if it wasn't the only diner in town? That isn't the point.
LOL....oh please Mr. Mariner, please don't call me the "S" word. It might hurt my widdle feelings. LOL. It's always just about you, isn't it? You don't want to see something so it needs to be removed. You want to be somewhere so the hell with anybody else, right? That girl went into that place for one reason - to cause problems. That's all! This country has bent over backwards to appease selfish, childish behavior. After decades in the USAF I've seen it all when it comes to the failed diversity, multicultural experiment. It sucks and at some point I'd think there will be a helluva backlash. But you and yours just carry on acting like children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies