Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Costs go up when government gets involved. Obamacare is a perfect example.
Too funny friend...

How far back do we have to go (well before Obamacare) to enjoy a time when health care costs were not rising? One of the most significant reasons the ACA was even introduced let alone passed was to address the run-away costs of medical care, and to reconcile the issue of people not able to access health care coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

Easy to claim anything guboment is bad, but you might like to consider what is also not so great that isn't guboment too. That is of course unless you're one of these people who can't seem to understand there are usually two sides to any coin...

Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
The Graham/Cassidy Bill:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...921_story.html

Third time the charm?
"Third time" you say...?

GOP Aims To Kill Obamacare Yet Again After Failing 70 Times

If conservatives raised a stink about how much time and money we've been wasting with all this "dog-and-ponny" repeal nonsense to nowhere, lost time and opportunity that could have been productive if we simply got on with the business of fixing and improving the ACA -- like EVERYONE agrees is needed -- maybe also focus on the REAL sources causing our increases in health care, we might actually go forward rather than backward.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,641 times
Quote:
Again one more time in hopes you get it. Again lets see if you deflect from the truth.
Again In 1972, institutional provider monopolization was strengthened after the Nixon Administration started restricting the supply of hospitals by requiring federal certificate-of-need for the construction of medical facilities.
Are you going to state that has no effect?
Or are you just going to ignore that truth again?

The opening of 3 hospitals in your area is not proof of hospitals being built freely. Three data points in one area with nothing to back up your contention that hospitals are being built fast enough.

Again you made this up. Again I've shown irrefutable proof that healthcare costs are rising faster than inflation.
Again I've shown proof that in all other industries technology has lowered costa.
Again you've ignored all this.

And you're proof is something that hasn't happened and COULD lower costs. How is that proof.

You have not offered any proof what so ever. You make things up.

Again we've always had for profit hospitals and prices didn't go up faster than inflation. Quit ignoring that fact.

Of course it does and you have no proof. Why believe you when you've been wrong so often? Because you say so? pffft

Group insurance? Every hear of that? lol

Are you that unattached from reality that you don't think hospitals prices are different from place to place?

Which is what insurance is for.

Your entire post is rambling and baseless.
You make things up -- Seriously stop and grow up. Telling someone they are lying when they are presenting you with data points that counter your point of view just shows childish behavior and isn't a discussion.

I never once said that your 1972 bill had zero effect, rather that there seem to be plenty of local healthcare providers that are complying with this 1972 bill. This means, to me, that the barrier to entry isn't impossibly hard and that it isn't a true market regulation that prevents competition (unlike say utilities or cable internet).

We have not always had for-profit health-insurance. the administrator of Baylor Hospital in Dallas created a system that caught on elsewhere and eventually evolved into Blue Cross. The Blues were essentially nonprofit health insurers who served local community organizations like the Elks..... HMOs became victims of their own success. Initially they were mainly nonprofit, but once again businesses spotted an opportunity and for-profit HMOs displaced nonprofit HMOs. (According to Cohn, 12 percent of the market was served by for-profits in 1981; by 1997, that was more like 65 percent.) With their bottom-line orientation, the for-profit HMOs were necessarily more aggressive about denying treatments.

As for you saying that technology has lowered costs in other sectors -- you're completely right. But other sectors actually save money from technology. Healthcare benefits from technology because there are advances in treatment that become possible that weren't before. In a business setting, technology means that I can now skype meetings halfway around the world instead of traveling there. I can have a single web-based database to house contact information that means we don't have to develop our own system and manage it. We can create marketing materials in a fraction of the time as before. These things save money.

With healthcare, technology means we can do more invasive surgeries with higher success rates. We can give amputees a chance to have a prosthetic hand that they can control, we have medications that can now save lives that wasn't possible 10 or 20 years ago. All of these things cost more money.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:59 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Today Schumer is making a desperate plea to try and defeat the new GOP healthcare bill.
It looked like he was ready to break out in tears again. He was lying his butt off as usual trying to convince people that the elites in D.C. care more and would better serve the people than local elected leaders would on healthcare.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,190,327 times
I want to cry watching these republicans fumble around with healthcare again, they actually had a good start with the skinny repeal bill but McCain and other RiNOs botched it. After 8 years they have no clue about what they want to do, the leadership needs to be shown the door and the McCain and grahams and other suits of the party need to go as well.

This is all just show to try to convince their voters that they tried to do something about Obamacare but came up short. Republicans are EMBARRASSING.

Scoreboard:
Nancy and Chuck- 2
Ryan and Mcconnell- 0

Old 09-19-2017, 01:16 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
My party, Republican, in only 8 months managed to turn very unpopular Obamacare into a popular program. Republican House and Senate are impotent cowards. They won't do a damn thing about Obamacare. We all know it.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:45 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Whatever happens with Obamacare, this ends any hope of anything bipartisan moving forward. Numerous efforts have been made by Democrats to work with Republicans and the response has been no. So after this, Democrats should take the same approach on anything Republicans propose. Further, I hope my state moves forward with our own healthcare solution that includes NOT providing healthcare for red state refugees. I have no interest in anything that helps anyone on the other side of the aisle geographically or politically. I hope they lose their disability, farm subsidies, all of it.

Republicans don't even want to see the CBO score before passing it. This is all about trying to undo anything regarding Obama even if it severely hurts people. Every single day I dislike Republicans more.

If they think it won't matter, if they think it won't come back to haunt them? Just watch.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
There are much more important things to be focused on right now then to chase your own double-failure tail. If they fail a 3rd time, the GOP will look even more incompetent than they already do.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Costs go up when government gets involved. Obamacare is a perfect example.
Sounds great. Let's end Medicare for seniors. They only pay about a third of the coverage they receive. Let's give them back their contribution and tell them to go shop for their own policies. After all, that is absolutely government insurance. Can't wait to see seniors learning how much their policies would cost on the open market. I'm paying for them now.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Sounds great. Let's end Medicare for seniors. They only pay about a third of the coverage they receive. Let's give them back their contribution and tell them to go shop for their own policies. After all, that is absolutely government insurance. Can't wait to see seniors learning how much their policies would cost on the open market. I'm paying for them now.
You are right. Seniors pay 1/3 of their health care costs, including your parents and grandparents. Workers paid what they were mandated in their monthly check for decades as a promise for health care when old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies