Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I never question your service....I don't even know you and that's not the topic.

if you served in Vietnam like my father did you know what were the real problems and it had nothing to do with our enemy or whatever made them get up and die for their cause and everything to do it how our politicians decided to fight the war and never took the fight to them in North Vietnam with the excuse that they didn't want to escalate the war with China and the Soviet Union. We were fighting with 1 hand tied behind our backs and on defense, thanks to our government.......my father and many Vietnam vets told me that in person.

It had nothing to do with what a POW VC told you or you read in what made them fight. Because the people of South Vietnam had the same feelings to defend their side.
For someone who wasn't even alive at the time of the Vietnam War - never mind fought there - you most certainly are opionated. You attack the best who served there and you attack people who come from career military families. When I posted that my own father did two tours of duty in Vietnam, one at MACV Message Center where he was a member of Westmoreland's staff, you went after me as well. I lived that war all through the 60's. You did not. Did you get this disrespect for veterans and our military families who endure through a war in a way you never will from your dad? Or did you develope your arrogant attitude all on your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
That's it for me. I have watched every episode, but I just reached my max. Can't take it anymore.
I've been watching on TV, so I have 3 more to go, and I feel the same way. Watching this feels like actually living through that era must have felt. Very long and drawn out.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:38 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Agreed. We will see them all but in such a short time it is just so painfully difficult watch.
Powerful documentary.
Yes, I also will watch the rest. As much as I hesitate to do so, the least I can do is watch. the. whole. program.

Last night's episode just struck me.

Deaths in combat of hundreds a week. That alone drives home how much has changed.

I hope every politician who made decisions to cover their own rear end is rotting in hell.

Last edited by LilyMae521; 09-26-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 09-26-2017, 05:26 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Yes, I also will watch the rest. As much as I hesitate to do so, the least I can do is watch. the. whole. program.

Deaths in combat of hundreds a week. That alone drives home how much has changed.

I hope every politician who made decisions to cover their own rear end is rotting in hell.
I will definitely finish watching it. Nixon was a crook even before he got into the office, conspiring with the Vietnamese to win the elections.

Losing 1100 US troops in a week would be a huge deal today. It was a big deal back then too, which explains the protests.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:36 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It looks like all major combat was over by the end of 1968.
1968 was certainly the high water mark, but for 1969, another 16,780 American deaths.

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...tatistics.html

Of course, Mr. Nixon took the oath of office in January 1969, and it took a while for him to start withdrawing troops.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:

Hell does not have the space as you are talking about a lot of people. Sad to say, Vietnam was supported by nearly everyone. Both Nixon and Humphrey were for it. Nixon and Humphrey!!!!

Not sure, but I recall reading somewhere that even in 1973, the majority of the public still supported it.

It's a tough watch. I have read a great deal about it all my life, but this hits hard. I feel numb when the closing credits begin and the final (generally morose) song plays.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not sure, but I recall reading somewhere that even in 1973, the majority of the public still supported it.
I don't think that it correct. Around mid -68 most people though it was a mistake, and the support only declined from there.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
The series has become a little wearing and draining. But still I can't stop watching. Like seeing a wreck on the highway and you can't take your eyes off of it.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Yeah, interesting how Nixon used the war to win the election. Never heard that one before, but then, mid-late 20th century history was never taught in depth in any of the history courses I was in.

Not the last Republican who *ahem* lied to get elected, of course.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't think that it correct. Around mid -68 most people though it was a mistake, and the support only declined from there.

You may be correct. As I said, I recall reading it somewhere and it was years ago.

Still, for something so awful, neither the Democratic nominee nor the Republican one campaigned on just ending the damn thing. They both wanted to continue. Neither stole Kennedy's stance and nobody voted for McCarthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies