Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 09:39 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
People also used to own slaves 100's of year ago. Times change.

Your client needs to pay more. He's gotten so used to abusing illegal's, just like the slave owners of times gone by.
Carpenters are paying in the mid 40s to 50k. Pickers are at 18 an hour. Come on out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:44 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It says that the businesses are closed because people are traumatized, not because the owners were arrested. Did they just pick up those here illegally and tell the business owner, "See you, have a nice day"?
The owners were legal and hired only Mexicans, both legal and illegal. They were family operated and they hired a lot of relatives and friends of relatives.

Nicholasville, KY is the same town that made news because the local Waffle House wouldn't allow a serviceman to come in to eat with his service weapon while back.

The local politicians are corrupt and the Attorney General had to get involved because of a fraudulent car lot that was scamming car buyers and landing them with huge tax bills the car lot was supposed to pay. They'd buy the cars at auction, not fill out the titles to transfer until they sold the cars to the new buyer. New buyer ended up getting hit with tax bill that the car lot was originally supposed to pay. The local politicians looked the other way.

Corrupt little town. I could tell lots of stories about things that go on there. For example, the government there allowed a business owner defraud me out of thousands of dollars because she helped sell me something she didn't have legal ownership to at the time. The DA was going to prosecute until he heard she was involved and then did a 180 and told me it was "buyer beware" and made like it was my fault she was committing fraud. She owns a lot of businesses and the government lets her get away with defrauding people. She and this woman she knew conned me out of my insurance money I received after my place caught fire. I ended up homeless over it and the DA laughed. I had trusted her because she was so well thought of in the area and had no idea she was a part-time con woman. The government there has allowed many people to be defrauded by the local businesses. The stories can be told for days and some could still be missed. I'm glad I don't live there anymore.

I doubt this town raid will impact much outside the local area. The local government knew these businesses had a lot of illegals and looked the other way for years now.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How many restaurants are there in Jasmine, KY?
Nicholasville/Jessamine County, KY has many fast food restaurants. There's a Waffle House, three McDonald's (which is surprising considering the small size of the town), 2 Dairy Queens, Long John Silver's, Apple Bee's, Red Robin (best restaurant there currently), Panera, KFC, Taco Bell, Hardees, Burger King, Raising Cane's (loved this place too. they have a TV in the lady's restroom!), and Subway. Then they had the three Mexican restaurants. The Golden Corral went out of business years ago after they raised prices quite a bit. For the small size of the town, dunno how they manage to keep so many restaurants in business.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Bull crap. My first job while still in high school was washing dishes in a Mexican restaurant for minimum wage. I'm white of European decent and don't even look Hispanic. The restaurant was owned and operated by a Mexican American.
Of course, this is before the flood of illegals into CA.
I didn't say all Mexican restaurants were like that. These were. I used to live near one of the ones shut down. These businesses were here a long time and were very popular.

I don't think these businesses were actually hurting anyone though. They were family owned and they took care of their own. Never knew anyone to have a problem with them.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:06 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I didn't say all Mexican restaurants were like that. These were. I used to live near one of the ones shut down. These businesses were here a long time and were very popular.

I don't think these businesses were actually hurting anyone though. They were family owned and they took care of their own. Never knew anyone to have a problem with them.
My apologies. The problem with one or two restaurants doing this and not hurting anyone is that now the restaurant down the street feels they will also have to hire illegals to keep their costs down and be competitive. I've seen this happen. It snowballs and before you know it, many restaurants are doing it just to stay in business because they can't compete with those that hire illegals at 21st century slave labor prices.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
My thoughts on illegal immigration aren't popular on this site, but here goes.

1. Opponents of illegal immigration talk of "invasion", but it's really a function of supply and demand. We weren't "invaded" in the 1950s and 1960s when we had an abundance of young workers willing and able to fill low income, manual labor jobs. The "invasion" happened when we had fewer young workers entering the labor market, more going to college and fewer willing to work for those wages. That created a natural demand for cheap labor that the illegal immigrants filled.

2. If you expel all illegal immigrants, you create a labor shortage that will drive up wages for the lowest workers, while raising prices for all consumers. The positive effect of boosting wages will be counter-acted by a lessening of demand. Fewer workers will be hired than the number of illegals they are replacing and the overall economy will shrink.

3. Switching now to protectionist measures, such as tariffs. You can make foreign goods more expensive through tariffs and protect American workers, but at what cost? If the goods that they produce are not competitive with foreign goods due to the cost of labor, then they can only be sold domestically. If their goods can only be sold domestically, you are robbing 100% of the American public (consumers) to protect the jobs of a sliver of the population. Unless there's an overriding issue, such as protecting vital industries necessary for national defense, you're literally robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're not creating wealth for the nation overall if you're not winning in the international marketplace. The only business plan that makes sense, and isn't de facto welfare, is where American company still competes for the foreign market, by relying on our technology, hiring fewer workers, who are more qualified and better paid, while keeping prices competitive for other markets.

4. The primary drive behind the demand of crack down on illegals isn't economic, because in the macro view, it makes no sense at all. The primary reason is cultural. People feel "invaded" because they hear other languages at the supermarket and long for the days of their childhood when the country was 90% non-Hispanic white.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 09-20-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-20-2017, 10:42 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Exactly! Do some people even think before they post?

I'd rather pay more for some goods and services, than pay more in taxes for welfare and illegal's benefits (113 BILLION a year!!!).

Deport ALL illegals, and put able body people on welfare back to work. Supply and demand means more pay for them once the illegals are out.

They call the kids of illegals Dreamers, but you are a dreamer if you believe that. Most of the people you want to ship back are self supporting or students. You only think they are welfare rats.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
My thoughts on illegal immigration aren't popular on this site, but here goes.

1. Opponents of illegal immigration talk of "invasion", but it's really a function of supply and demand. We weren't "invaded" in the 1950s and 1960s when we had an abundance of young workers willing and able to fill low income, manual labor jobs. The "invasion" happened when we had fewer young workers entering the labor market, more going to college and fewer willing to work for those wages. That created a natural demand for cheap labor that the illegal immigrants filled.

2. If you expel all illegal immigrants, you create a labor shortage that will drive up wages for the lowest workers, while raising prices for all consumers. The positive effect of boosting wages will be counter-acted by a lessening of demand. Fewer workers will be hired than the number of illegals they are replacing and the overall economy will shrink.

3. Switching now to protectionist measures, such as tariffs. You can make foreign goods more expensive through tariffs and protect American workers, but at what cost? If the goods that they produce are not competitive with foreign goods due to the cost of labor, then they can only be sold domestically. If their goods can only be sold domestically, you are robbing 100% of the American public (consumers) to protect the jobs of a sliver of the population. Unless there's an overriding issue, such as protecting vital industries necessary for national defense, you're literally robbing Peter to pay Paul. The only business plan that makes sense, and isn't de facto welfare, is where American company still competes for the foreign market, by relying on our technology, hiring fewer workers, who are more qualified and better paid, while keeping prices competitive for other markets.

4. The primary drive behind the demand of crack down on illegals isn't economic, because in the macro view, it makes no sense at all. The primary reason is cultural. People feel "invaded" because they hear other languages at the supermarket and long for the days of their childhood when the country was 90% non-Hispanic white.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 AM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
I understand Illegal Immigration needs to be addressed, but this is just sad.
There is a community in shock here.
I'm not sure why they are in shock. You have a bunch of people breaking the law. They get arrested. Why is that shocking?

Quote:
"Right now they're just all in scooped up in one van and you don't know where anybody is at. It's scary. You don't know where your family members are at," she said. "You're missing family, you're missing friends, they shut your work down, you don't have a job. What have they done wrong? They're here working."
Wait. They just answered their own question. What have they done wrong. They were here in this county working ILLEGALLY.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:29 AM

36,536 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Unfortunately yes. You will have to pay some lazy american kids more money to do less work. Heck just this last weekend I spent 20 bucks to hire my 10 year old son and his friend to pull weeds... They did less than a illegal mexican but for more money. I felt robbed.

Lets just say. Next time . Im hiring illegal
So your "raising" a lazy kid. Try to do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies