Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 03:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Your right, America was multicultural from the beginning and continues to be. But those people you described were European who would eventual assimilate to the newly formed "American culture" based on Christian/Judeo beliefs. Laws written including the Constitution would come from that basis.

For the record, I am not a white nationalist and I'm not trying to forward any agenda. I simply see a country being torn apart from the inside out by ever so growing groups of anti American sentiments.
The people I described were not just European. There was already a native population, and we were importing Africans by the boatload. By the latter half of the 19th century, Asians were also coming to America, to the point that we were legislating against them.

It's also important to note that those Christian/Judeo beliefs you cite were at great odds with one another. The Puritans in Massachusetts were hanging Quakers, and their beliefs were so much at odds with one another that it was the dissonance of those Christian sects that led to many of the early colonists splitting from one another and forming new colonies.

Rather than seeing the Constitution as a product of Christianity, I think it is much more a product of the Enlightenment. Which was a humanist movement that promoted individual liberty and religious tolerance. It rejected superstition in favor of empiricism, and it opposed monarchies.

I don't see a country being torn apart from the inside out. I see a country debating its values and principles, a country where ideas and thoughts are freely expressed, where protest is part of the very fabric of our nation. I think the Founding Fathers would be delighted with the plethora of ideas and thoughts, and the passion that the people have for our country and for our freedoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:30 PM

431 posts, read 257,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
This kind of moral panic is part of the US identity. Americans have always been terrified of immigrants until they assimilate. 150 years people like NorthTexasGuy were terrified of Irish immigrants because they were stealing jobs now irish americans are everywhere.
I thought it was understood that America is a country of immigrants. The American/U.S identity did not come to be over night. I suppose you are trying to make a correlation between the argument that Mexicans are taking our jobs today and how I some how would have been terrified by the Irish taking our jobs 150 years ago. The Irish, Italian and what ever other people came here in those days were truly appreciative of a new life in a new world knowing it would be a struggle. They assimilated and helped create what would become the American culture and their children would prosper in.

Today...what I am truly concerned for is the godless, lawless and free wheeling society some are trying to create. Something that you or I may not feel the effects of in our life time but our children will.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
The vast majority of immigrants to the US in recent times are from Latin America and have the same Judeo/Christian (well not too much Judeo) cultural roots as Americans do. They have a superior work ethic and strong, cohesive families too which is critical for success - something many Americans have forgotten about.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Multiculturalism is acceptable when cultures within a society respect the mainstream culture and don't expect additional catering for theirs.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
I thought it was understood that America is a country of immigrants. The American/U.S identity did not come to be over night. I suppose you are trying to make a correlation between the argument that Mexicans are taking our jobs today and how I some how would have been terrified by the Irish taking our jobs 150 years ago. The Irish, Italian and what ever other people came here in those days were truly appreciative of a new life in a new world knowing it would be a struggle. They assimilated and helped create what would become the American culture and their children would prosper in.

Today...what I am truly concerned for is the godless, lawless and free wheeling society some are trying to create. Something that you or I may not feel the effects of in our life time but our children will.
I believe the people coming here today are appreciative of a new life. They know there will be challenges. They are assimilating, and helping to create the American culture of tomorrow.

Culture is ever-changing. A culture that's unchanging is a culture of a dead society. Culture is like language. If it isn't constantly evolving, it's dead.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
Quote:
The U.S. has always welcomed all from the around the world to lawfully enter this nation and become Americans.
stopped reading right here. I'd suggest you read this. They have citation too that reference certains ACTs they government put in place to limit immigration.

https://www.voanews.com/a/united-sta...s/3700234.html

example:

Quote:
In the 1920s, restrictions on immigration increased. The Immigration Act of 1924 was the most severe: it limited the overall number of immigrants and established quotas based on nationality. Among other things, the act sharply reduced immigrants from Eastern Europe and Africa. And it completely restricted immigrants from Asia, except for Japan and the Philippines.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:47 PM

693 posts, read 356,968 times
I don't think we have a social problem due to multiculturism, I think we have a social problem due to the media that blows everything out of proportion.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:56 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygiboy View Post
American culture is a variation of many cultures. This country wasn't founded on one identity. Forcing people to assimilate is the reason you have so much chaos now. Just think about all black slaves who had to get rid of all their language and cultural traditions and forced into a different cultural causing African Americans do not even know their origins and true roots
I disagree. We do have an identifying culture and English is our national de facto language. We do however, have minority cultures living among the identifying on but we aren't multi-cultural per se. I don't know what you mean about anyone having to get rid of their native languages or cultures. Black Americans do know their cultural roots and many if not most still practice them at least in the privacy of their own homes and in public. Assimilation is only expected out in mainstream. Many still practice their native languages and cultures at home or in ethnic business neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. Aside from blacks brought here as slaves if one chooses to move here then why not assimilate into our society otherwise why come here?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
the 1917 immigration act as another example. Basically they wanted white people from western Europe.
[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]
Forced association per State edicts.

There it is.

Never ends well. NEVER.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
the 1917 immigration act as another example. Basically they wanted white people from western Europe.
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

And today Mexicans, other Latinos and Asians are favored in our immigration numbers so it's kind of a wash, isn't it? They are also the largest groups here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies