Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 04:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And today Mexicans, other Latinos and Asians are favored in our immigration numbers so it's kind of a wash, isn't it? They are also the largest groups here illegally.
No, it's more forced association per State edict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 04:12 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
This is going to be a drive-by post. Quoting prominent activist Linda Sarsour:
Quote:
Our number one priority is to protect and defend our community, it is not to assimilate and it is not to please any other people and authority… Our TOP PRIORITY even higher than all those priorities is to please Allah and ONLY Allah!
She's said on a number of occasions Muslims should not and need not assimilate.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It used to be a melting pot where everyone wanted to be American regardless of family heritage. They didn't hide their heritage but it wasn't thrown in the faces of other Americans. United we stand, divided we fall.
Stil. is a melting pot, from my pov. Much of the divisiveness I see is only online. My family is Anglo/Hispanic and more recent, Asian(1970s) and Middle Eastern (1980s). A mix of Educators, Medical Professionals, Business owners, and Blue Collar. All middles class contributors, no ethnic purist in the bunch.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM

31,088 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
This is going to be a drive-by post. Quoting prominent activist Linda Sarsour:She's said on a number of occasions Muslims should not and need not assimilate.
She would fit right in, in the 100% Muslim world of Pakistan or Saudi Arabia

Old 09-20-2017, 04:46 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
I think multiculturalism IS our national identity.

Once when I was studying abroad, one of my local friends told me she could tell just by looking at someone what Asian country they were from (it was in Asia). When I asked her if it was also true for Asian-Americans, she said she could definitely tell when someone was American, even if they were Asian, because the defining thing about Americans is they don't have "one" way to dress, speak, or person they like to hang out with. And you were more likely to find the Americans hanging out with a group of mixed people whereas the Chinese/Korean/Japanese/etc kids stuck together. I had never thought about that before but I do think it's our identity to be individualistic and comfortable with other cultures.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
This is going to be a drive-by post. Quoting prominent activist Linda Sarsour:She's said on a number of occasions Muslims should not and need not assimilate.
That's a problem.

What you want is people to be able move freely about while respecting the private property rights of those who already reside in the general vicinity.

If you don't want to live in isolation in a certain area it would be wise to offer the pre-existing residents incentive to interact with you.

Knowledge, skills, etc.

Of course with the government going around placing and plotting folks at random we don't have that kind of society.

Hence the problems.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think multiculturalism IS our national identity.

Once when I was studying abroad, one of my local friends told me she could tell just by looking at someone what Asian country they were from (it was in Asia). When I asked her if it was also true for Asian-Americans, she said she could definitely tell when someone was American, even if they were Asian, because the defining thing about Americans is they don't have "one" way to dress, speak, or person they like to hang out with. And you were more likely to find the Americans hanging out with a group of mixed people whereas the Chinese/Korean/Japanese/etc kids stuck together. I had never thought about that before but I do think it's our identity to be individualistic and comfortable with other cultures.
Wow, you are so brain washed. I feel sorry for what the system put you through. Did they teach you how many Indians that Americans slaughtered in school?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Wow, you are so brain washed. I feel sorry for what the system put you through. Did they teach you how many Indians that Americans slaughtered in school?
Just sharing an anecdote, buddy. Don't worry, I do pretty well in life so you don't need to feel sorry for me. I'm actually pretty happy with my "American" experience so, if you aren't, I feel sorry for you.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think multiculturalism IS our national identity...

...I do think it's our identity to be individualistic and comfortable with other cultures.
I think that's a laudable goal, as well as how I try to live. Kudos there.

But that is not exactly my understanding of what is meant by multiculturalism. My understanding of what is meant by multiculturalism is that tribalism / identitarianism / collectivism -- the group or groups you "belong to" -- are prime over individualism and a shared identity as humans (or as Americans). They (those groups) are or should be at the forefront and you must embrace them as the more important identity.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I think that's a laudable goal, as well as how I try to live. Kudos there.

But that is not exactly my understanding of what is meant by multiculturalism. My understanding of what is meant by multiculturalism is that tribalism / identitarianism / collectivism -- the group or groups you "belong to" are prime over individualism and a shared identity as humans (or as Americans).
Interesting... never thought of multiculturalism in that way. I'd like to think the different cultures here might speak, eat or pray according to their ethnic culture but still feel a shared American identity at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies