Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
You don't have to sing along. You don't even have to put your hand over your heart.
But at least stand quietly alongside everyone else and let them show their respect.
You not standing does not stop others from doing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,400,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
So we are disrespecting dead soldiers for not singing the anthem?
Not standing for the national anthem is disrespecting the soldiers who sacrificed their lives and limbs for this country and our freedoms.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,411 times
Quote:
I don't have to stand for the anthem either. Isn't it good that we have a freedom of choice?
More like showing your disrespect but then again, that is your choice.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:06 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,508,620 times
So when they play the anthem at a sporting event, all the people who are not standing, are in the restroom, are in the concession line are not patriotic? Its not like they dont know that they anthem will be played, right?

Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM

27,198 posts, read 13,489,086 times
Quote:
Ok thanks. I was always curious if other countries did the same thing.
Most British clubs have anthems and many are famous, such as Liverpool's 'You'll Never Walk Alone' by Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Not standing for the national anthem is disrespecting the soldiers who sacrificed their lives and limbs for this country and our freedoms.
I disagree. There are plenty of ways of being patriotic besides standing or listening to the anthem.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Most British clubs have anthems and many are famous, such as Liverpool's 'You'll Never Walk Alone' by Gerry and the Pacemakers.

I think team anthems are fine.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM

36,547 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I was at a car show over the Summer and at 6 pm they made an announcement for everyones attention and they played the anthem. I thought it was a terrific moment, utter silence, hands on hearts some saluting as we looked toward the American Flag that was flying from a pole.

It gave me time to reflect among my fellow Americans of all ages, backgrounds, military service, their love of country and cars.
We are so lucky to live in such a wonderful country where we have the opportunity to work hard and smart and we have the resources to own and show a classic/ antique car.

Whenever or wherever the Anthem is played we should take that moment to thank all those who came before us, the ones who sacrificed, fought, bleed and died for us so we could have the joy of living in and raising a family in the greatest country ever or watching a sports game or hanging out at a car show.

The anthem is generally played/sung in under 2 minutes, which is not a long time to stand and reflect on how lucky we all are.
exactly.

It also unifies us as as a community and as fellow Americans. The National Anthem is played at a lot of events in my neck of the woods. I don't think its silly at all. Why is there always someone wanting to take away our traditions and bury our past.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:14 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Anyone that thinks playing the National Anthem is fake patriotism or is too lazy or disinterested to stand should go live somewhere else.

The Anthem is part of America. Love it or leave it. I'm tired of the bed wetting liberals whining about everything and ruining what this country stands for.
So do you stand and come to attention when it is played on your TV? If not then you are nothing but a hypocrite.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:18 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
The left has waged an all out war on our whole culture, all of our traditions. Sick people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies