Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You need to broaden your horizons son. We lived in a very diverse community where there were many families that were interracial, or had two dads or a different religion!! My kids grew up not thinking a darn thing of it. I am so glad they had that experience before moving to a state where it is frowned upon.

Gays behavior is normal and on par with everyone else. It has been happening since the beginning of time. I don't understand how it's okay behind closed doors but god forbid you see a couple holding hands
"Son"?
I am not sure you are old enough or wise enough to be calling someone son.
Regardless, just because something has been going on since the dawn of time, does not make it normal. Homo behavior is not normal, regardless of it always being around.
As to where you lived and mentioned where liberal behavior was more common, it is still a small percentage of the population. Now I will grant you different religions seem to be more common if for no other reason, many people are abandoning the notion you must marry within a particular religion.
Yet that does not stop parents who are religious from wanting their kids to marry within the religion. It is not bigoted to think that way, as it might very well alter their relationship with their child and their future grandkids. The same is true of interracial marriage, as culturally it could very well alienate the kids/grandkids from the parents. Needless to say no parent (even super liberals) hope their kids will turn out or become homos. Instead they want their kids to be heteros like themselves, thus name and genetics are passed on and they get biological grandkids.
[Do us both a favor and don't retort about using surrogates thus still having bio grandkids, as that is not very common, even though it does occur]

Many kids know it would break their parents hearts, so they keep it to themselves. A friend of mine recently said his sister was homo, but pretended to be hetero so as to not cause their father pain. Now he is gone, so she no longer has that worry about pretending. She is comfortable with her decision, and I can certainly respect it.

As to your last comment, what is wrong with behind closed doors, especially using your own thoughts regarding how it has always been like that. We agree homos have been around since the dawn of time, but they also kept it to themselves in most instances. So why the need to flaunt it all of a sudden?

`

Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
i support them but they are becoming really aggressive...like straight people are "evil"...This week people on facebook were changing their profile picture to support LGBTQ..i changed mine to support the victims of Puerto Rico...Got zero comment , or appreciation, while my friends with LGBTQ profile pictures were receiving all kind of sugarcoated comments.
Quote:
Whoa, I suggest you step out on your porch...Run away my son, see it all, oh see the world
- Eddie Vedder

Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Gays are only about 4% of the population. This has been reported by outlets that are advocates for the gay population. People just think the number is much higher due to how much they are portrayed in media.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:33 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Only way someone could possible think that straights are becoming a minority is if they exclusively hang out at gay bars/hangouts.

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The majority are 'straight' . . .it's just that that the majority doesn't make a point of telling the world about their sexual preferences. We believe it's no one else's business, and that's not really a subject that should be paraded in the first place.
I beg to differ since straight people do tell everyone who they are just by the way they conduct themselves in everyday life. Just turn on the TV or any media and everything including commercials is geared towards a heterosexual society except since it's considered "normal" people don't recognize it.
This has to do more than just sexual preferences.
Gays live in a heterosexual world not the other way around.

2,950 posts, read 1,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
i support them but they are becoming really aggressive...like straight people are "evil"...This week people on facebook were changing their profile picture to support LGBTQ..i changed mine to support the victims of Puerto Rico...Got zero comment , or appreciation, while my friends with LGBTQ profile pictures were receiving all kind of sugarcoated comments.
Don't let facebook rule your life.

(Did I REALLY have to say that?)

Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I beg to differ since straight people do tell everyone who they are just by the way they conduct themselves in everyday life. Just turn on the TV or any media and everything including commercials is geared towards a heterosexual society except since it's considered "normal" people don't recognize it.
This has to do more than just sexual preferences.
Gays live in a heterosexual world not the other way around.
Great post. By the OP's reasoning, straight people have been flaunting their sexuality in everyone's faces since forever. Our entire culture is built around it. Straight sex is used to sell everything from laundry detergent to cars. Most of our movies and TV shows revolve around it. IN YOUR FACE straight sex, day in and day out. I don't see that changing any time soon. I wonder how offended the OP is by that.

But it's cute that what he's really upset about is that he's not getting enough "likes" on Facebook. It kind of shows us the mentality we're dealing with here.

Last edited by JAMS14; 09-23-2017 at 08:29 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Nope.

I was at a country bar in northeast Houston last night called Stampede. I only saw one gay couple, two men, on the dance floor. There may have been more gay people there, but they were definitely in the minority, in terms of numbers.

Straight people are still the majority. But, what does it really matter?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:33 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
No.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i doubt it. this lgbt issue is a bandwagon issue, and a lot of people are jumping on it right now. that will fall away in time.
Yes, this is what I think too, its wasnt long ago that it was very taboo to be homosexual, heck it was even criminal to some degree in many places, to the point where it could not be shown in a positive light in tv or movies even! The same thing goes for interracial relationships as well, not that long ago when NO tv network would dare air an interracial couple. Its interesting to me this has changed so quickly.

Its also got me wondering whats coming next, whats the discrimination going on now, that will eventually be tolerated, and accepted? If history is any indicator, it will be something that is highly taboo, illegal, right now...scary to think about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies