Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have resented being forced to speak the Pledge of Allegiance since the first time. I still do. But I still say it to avoid having to explain why I do not want to. I will sincerely Pledge Allegiance to the Flag when the Flag starts doing something serious about protecting and enhancing "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness" for ALL of us not just the selected few.
I have never resented it or even felt forced.
Is this the best nation on earth? That is relative and all depends upon the individual. I will say that there are opportunities for all. Where else can you sue for falling off a ladder and win? Even though it is your own fault?
Do I want to live in a country where I am told every problem is my fault because I am white? Do I want to live in a country where we want to punish success and reward underachievers? Do I want to live in a country where we spend 650 billion a year to protect everyone but ourselves? No that is why I will be an ex-pat soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:37 PM

711 posts, read 933,257 times
One thing is certain--our constitutional rights. However the nfl players are employees. What would your employer do if you came to work and put on a public display of displeasure of company policy? What would your church do if you came to your service and began a blasphemis oratory?
What would your military drill instructor do if you began protesting the u.s. Military?

Besides i think it is degrading for an athlete to protest his countries social situation from the platform that only america made possible for him. If he feels abused he can protest elsewhere on his own time. Time and place. Yes, we have rights, and we can make ourselves vulnerable by the manner, time and place of our protests. If you abuse your rights and other peoples at the same time, of course, you should pay the piper.

I think jim browns remarks stated it very well. You can't be a pro football player and an activist at the same time and place. Play ball. That is what my ticket price indicates you will do. Tell your momma about it tomorrow where i can't see or hear you.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:42 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Trump is a vile, vile man. Maybe not Adolf, maybe not Kim Jun, but he is along the lines of those evil men.
Why? Because you were told that?

Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
One thing is certain--our constitutional rights. However the nfl players are employees. What would your employer do if you came to work and put on a public display of displeasure of company policy? What would your church do if you came to your service and began a blasphemis oratory?
What would your military drill instructor do if you began protesting the u.s. Military?

Besides i think it is degrading for an athlete to protest his countries social situation from the platform that only america made possible for him. If he feels abused he can protest elsewhere on his own time. Time and place. Yes, we have rights, and we can make ourselves vulnerable by the manner, time and place of our protests. If you abuse your rights and other peoples at the same time, of course, you should pay the piper.

I think jim browns remarks stated it very well. You can't be a pro football player and an activist at the same time and place. Play ball. That is what my ticket price indicates you will do. Tell your momma about it tomorrow where i can't see or hear you.
Exactly this. There is no more to it than this.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
My employer also doesn't force me to pledge allegiance or stand for the anthem every morning either. Most employers also aren't getting paid $$$$ from the Department of Defense to do so.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:27 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
My employer also doesn't force me to pledge allegiance or stand for the anthem every morning either. Most employers also aren't getting paid $$$$ from the Department of Defense to do so.
If you got paid to do so, would you?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
The NFL and NBA are employers. Most people are not free to spout their political beliefs at work or they would be fired. Your employer does not have to give you the opportunity to express your political views at work. If you want to be politically active do it on your own time, otherwise shut up and play your sport or sing your song. You are paid millions of dollars to be an entertainer. They should be thankful they live in the USA and make obscene amounts of money for doing something so completely ridiculous. How many of these rich football players or basketball players would actually attend a BLM rally in the streets? I doubt very many of them. Seems pretty easy to drop to a knee in the confines of a nice stadium. I'd have more respect if they were actually doing something to further their cause in the real world.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
The NFL and NBA are employers. Most people are not free to spout their political beliefs at work or they would be fired. Your employer does not have to give you the opportunity to express your political views at work. If you want to be politically active do it on your own time, otherwise shut up and play your sport or sing your song. You are paid millions of dollars to be an entertainer. They should be thankful they live in the USA and make obscene amounts of money for doing something so completely ridiculous. How many of these rich football players or basketball players would actually attend a BLM rally in the streets? I doubt very many of them. Seems pretty easy to drop to a knee in the confines of a nice stadium. I'd have more respect if they were actually doing something to further their cause in the real world.
Totally agree. And where do these guys get off acting so self-righteous? Do we honestly think these guys have some kind of moral high ground? No, they are babied and spoiler and get away with all kinds of things because they can play a sport that brings in a ton of cash.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:04 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
The NFL and NBA are employers. Most people are not free to spout their political beliefs at work or they would be fired. Your employer does not have to give you the opportunity to express your political views at work. If you want to be politically active do it on your own time, otherwise shut up and play your sport or sing your song. You are paid millions of dollars to be an entertainer. .
Amen.

And if you truly believe in a cause, like MLK and his followers, accept and pay all prices..your livelihood, your freedom meaning if displaying Civil Disobedience jail time, and your accumulated wealth of a lifetime.

Put it all up and then, and only then, would millions respect you as a person of integrity.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
No - I want to live in this country that is great enough to allow demonstrations against its flag, anthem, or any of its other symbols.

This is a special place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies