Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are white males oppressed?
I am a white male and I feel oppressed 33 21.02%
I am a white male and I do not feel oppressed 94 59.87%
I am a female and white men are oppressed 1 0.64%
I am a female and white men are not oppressed 19 12.10%
Other - please explain 10 6.37%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Fair enough..for Discrimination to be Oppression, it would have to be systemic, and negative--which is what we are talking about..or so I thought.
If that's the case then whites and Asians (especially males of those groups) are oppressed.

And it's the end of the thread. Seriously. If that's what you want to go by there's no wiggle room out of it.

So like they say on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is that your final answer?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, if so, they are oppressed by other white people. Minorities have nothing to do with it.
I wouldn't say "nothing" to do with it but very little. Definitely a lot less than is being portrayed in the media.

You're right there.

White liberals have a set narrative of winners and losers and which group belongs where for all situations. Then they move those pieces around depending on the situation like pawns on a chess board.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If that's the case then whites and Asians (especially males of those groups) are oppressed.

And it's the end of the thread. Seriously. If that's what you want to go by there's no wiggle room out of it.

So like they say on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is that your final answer?
Yup...final answer.

Oh..and no...I don't believe that there is any institutional bias against White men..can't speak to the asian experence.

I've just not experienced it..ever. Not in the workplace..not in the classroom...not in society.

I don't think affirmative action is discrimination. Nor do I feel hiring quotas to be discrimination. Why? Because earmarking a few places for minorities--when the historic percentage was 100%...does not really rob anyone of anything.

Now, if 70% of class size was earmarked for minorities..that would be different..but we all know that not to be true.

More doctors of color..just means more doctors..to me. Same for all the other professions.

So, I've not lost anything. Nor have my children...all of whom are college grads..except 1..and he could buy and sell us all.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Yup...final answer.

Oh..and no...I don't believe that there is any institutional bias against White men..can't speak to the asian experence.

I've just not experienced it..ever. Not in the workplace..not in the classroom...not in society.

I don't think affirmative action is discrimination. Nor do I feel hiring quotas to be discrimination. Why? Because earmarking a few places for minorities--when the historic percentage was 100%...does not really rob anyone of anything.

Now, if 70% of class size was earmarked for minorities..that would be different..but we all know that not to be true.

More doctors of color..just means more doctors..to me. Same for all the other professions.

So, I've not lost anything. Nor have my children...all of whom are college grads..except 1..and he could buy and sell us all.
Fair enough.

AA is discrimination at the workplace and in education imo. We will have to agree to disagree.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
There's been a number of posts on here asking women if we feel oppressed, if women can be white supremacists, etc. I have also noticed threads about white males being discriminated against or "oppressed." Do you agree that they are or do you think they are not?
You are mixing and matching far too many issues.

That said, whites are discriminated against when they are more qualified and /or have better scores on tests, yet the job, promotion, or entry into college is given to a minority under the guise of programs like affirmative action, consent decrees, and other quota based hiring schemes.
Yes I know quotas were ruled unconstitutional by the scotus, but a quota by another names seems fine with liberals in certain towns.

So feeling oppressed vs. actually being oppressed are two very different things. The same with "feeling" discriminated against, vs. it actually happening. I as a white male have been discriminated against, based on both my race and my gender. I don't like it, and have spoken out against it. However, I have also moved on and didn't allow it to define my future.
I might have been better off had I received certain jobs/promotions than I am now, but then again I might not. Who really knows how one thing will connect to another. I do know that had I not been in the position I was when I decided to strike out on my own and start my own businesses, I wouldn't be where I am today. Better or worse, I have persevered.

The same is true of minorities and or women who feel they were discriminated against, and especially those who really were. If you wallow in it, it only hurts you and those who discriminated against you win. However for those who would not allow it to define their future, they also have success stories and are stronger people as a result.

`

Old 09-25-2017, 06:58 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Nope. Im feelin fine....

Old 09-25-2017, 06:59 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
The thing that is so great about this country is it allows the universal law of truth to eventually emerge.This country has some things like slavery which in this day and age is proven to be wrong on every level. but the beauty is this country corrects these wrongs. It may not be easy and may even take a few generations in some cases but freedom provides the masses with the ability to bring forth universal truth between right and wrong.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:01 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wouldn't say "nothing" to do with it but very little. Definitely a lot less than is being portrayed in the media.

You're right there.

White liberals have a set narrative of winners and losers and which group belongs where for all situations. Then they move those pieces around depending on the situation like pawns on a chess board.
well, they can always blame my ancestors for everything. We had no excuses.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Yup...final answer.

I think suggested hiring quotas are great, but a hiring quota leads to having to hire unqualified people simply because you have to fill a position with a minority, in cases where no qualified person expressed an interest in the job.

I have no problem with slots being set aside for jobs and for students - I think it's wrong, unnecessary, and discrimination to lower standards for those students and employees.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think suggested hiring quotas are great, but a hiring quota leads to having to hire unqualified people simply because you have to fill a position with a minority, in cases where no qualified person expressed an interest in the job.

I have no problem with slots being set aside for jobs and for students - I think it's wrong, unnecessary, and discrimination to lower standards for those students.
I agree..especially with the bolded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies