Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Exactly. I was in Detroit 2 weeks ago and it has made impressive gains since even 3 years ago when I last visited it. There are numerous up and coming neighborhoods. One of them is Corktown. The downtown area is a LOT nicer and there is a lot to do. The craft brew industry there is amazing.

Yes, Detroit still has a big urban blight problem. No, things aren't getting worse or even staying the same there.
I noticed prices in corktown and downtown are actually pretty expensive .
But a little ways away prices drop significantly .

It's a lot different from a city like L.A or NYC where prices are still crazy high even if you go farther out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 953,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Generally it takes higher income folks to move in to change an area .

Having too many low income folks in an area is never a good thing .

A big plus of gentrification is crime goes down.
So one could say gentrification saves lives .
Except far too often it just shifts the problem to a new neighborhood. Hopefully this effort will help find a place for the poor rather than just shifting the problem.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:42 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,973,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I noticed prices in corktown and downtown are actually pretty expensive .
But a little ways away prices drop significantly .

It's a lot different from a city like L.A or NYC where prices are still crazy high even if you go farther out
The airbnb I stayed at was in Virginia Park, which cost about $300 for a long weekend. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart or those not accustomed to urban environments, however. In contrast, the hotels in downtown were running over $400 per night.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,504,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Except far too often it just shifts the problem to a new neighborhood. Hopefully this effort will help find a place for the poor rather than just shifting the problem.
Government getting involved in the private property market is the problem .

The poor have to find a place for themselves just like when middle class folks get priced out of areas.

L.A for example is a tough city to live and middle class leave all the time for more affordable places but you never hear about it really . They just move .

Problem is people want to live in 2017 in prime areas at 1990s prices .

If a poor person wants to live in Beverly Hills the government should find them cheap or free housing there?

Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Who is gentrifying it?

Who even wants to live there?
If I hadn't had school age children, I would have moved to Detroit. I still may when my kids get out of school. I love the city and have lived there before and have family there.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,726,132 times
Quote:
So glad to see your, MPowering1, and LoveToRow's posts. Detroit is such a cool city. I'm so glad that it is coming out of this rough patch. Do you see any signs that the disparities you mention are being addressed? Are there any efforts to help the impoverished residents train/move into those new jobs? Milwaukee has struggled with a similar dynamic, where the wealthy professionals moved out of the city into the (largely white) burbs and relatively poor (and largely minority) communities remained behind in the city. You're right; it doesn't make for a healthy community.

It has been noted several times in the local papers, but there is no real plans in the works that I know about to address this. In the end, if its not addressed it could end up killing Detroit comeback if it explodes racially.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:50 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,331,705 times
Quote:
this is all it does. Just moves people from area to another. And if anything it's costing the people who were already there money that they can't really afford to spend on moving expenses. And the police just follow the black people and harass them in the new area.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,846,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I go back to Detroit regularly, as a former resident with family still there. Detroit is vastly improved at the core. Five years from now......Downtown will look radically different. The problem is the racial optics of the turnaround is very troubling. It will become combustible.....all over again if the stark poverty of the black residents exist simultaneously with wealthy whites. That is not a good look.
I agree with this, but wanted to note that Atlanta IMO is similar to how Detroit may become. It is not all that bad, but statistically there are not poor white people in the city of Atlanta, the main poor people in the city of Atlanta are black people. They have a very high poverty rate. People just overlook that when they speak about the metro. They also include all the burbs in what they consider "Atlanta" which IMO is disingenuous.

I do see Detroit going along a similar path but have hope that some of the black professionals who left Detroit will also return to their hometown. As I stated above, I love Detroit. Detroiters are just cool people IMO and that is the most important thing to me for a city/metro for me to live in.

Quote:
So glad to see your, MPowering1, and LoveToRow's posts. Detroit is such a cool city. I'm so glad that it is coming out of this rough patch. Do you see any signs that the disparities you mention are being addressed? Are there any efforts to help the impoverished residents train/move into those new jobs? Milwaukee has struggled with a similar dynamic, where the wealthy professionals moved out of the city into the (largely white) burbs and relatively poor (and largely minority) communities remained behind in the city. You're right; it doesn't make for a healthy community.
I live in NW OH not too far from Detroit and I listen to their talk radio. Most of the development as was mentioned is occurring downtown and in a few specific neighborhoods. Most people, including my relatives complain that the city ignores the neighborhoods and focuses too much on those areas that are "hot" right now and that those specific areas cannot make the city come back in its entirety. Many are also afraid of gentrification and Detroit losing its "grit" basically and feel of community especially. FWIW, I still think that Detroit will remain very segregated. The Midwest in general (and really the entire country) is heavily segregated. There are some decent enclaves of middle class blacks in Detroit. Contrary to what people believe, the Detroit metro is one with one of the highest concentration of middle class blacks in the country. I know a few people who've moved from the burbs back to the city and first time homeowners who are taking advantage of programs there to rehab and live as owner occupants in neighborhoods.

As stated above, I think Detroit will be like Atlanta in the future in regards to a rather large poverty stricken black population along with a strong black middle class and incoming white and other non-black residents. I believe that it will stay segregated by neighborhood/side of town but that the city is on the rebound and will hopefully remain as such in the future.

Wanted to also note that crime is an issue that is heavily discussed by people I know in Detroit and on talk radio. Recently a good friend of my cousin was murdered. I read about another murder recently of a black business owner in his driveway. They also have issues with their public school system. Detroit has a regular public school system that is poorly funded along with a public charter school system. It is very weird to me and is the reason why I didn't move to the city. However, they do have the "Detroit Promise" whereas all high school graduates in Detroit with decent grades can get a free college education at participating MI colleges/universities, including University of Michigan and Michigan State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies