Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were Trump's Tweets Attacking Puerto Rico Justified?
YES. San Juan Mayor Carmen Cruz's comments against Trump were exaggerated and she deserved a harsh reply. 105 36.71%
NO. Trump's tweets were heartless and mean, given that many PR residents have no water, food, gas, cell phone service, and no medical supplies. 181 63.29%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Poor Trump, and his supporters. They just don't get it.
We are immune to the liberal virus spread by CNN and MSNBC.. you are right.. we just don't get it.. we are immune to FAKE NEWS and brainwashing.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
What I find amazing is that for days after the storm when aid was flowing in the Governor had no complaints and was praising the response the media gave little coverage in the way of 10 second sound bites. 10 days later one spiteful Mayor who has an anti-Trump agenda and the media flocks to her when in reality most of what she is spewing is BS. She has time to get a T-shirt made up but doesn't have tio time to attend FEMA meetings in person or on a conference call.
The aid didn't start flowing in until days after the disaster. Compare with past examples of Haiti for instance when there were navy ships off shore providing hospital assistance and fresh water within HOURS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...=.226c2404e066

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...saging/541542/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-massive-debt

"But it took the president five full days to respond to the plight of the US territory. When he finally did so on Monday night, his comments on Twitter were so devoid of empathy it threatened to spark new controversy."

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...lp-puerto-rico

You can understand her frustration thusly: "Earlier in the day, Cruz was strongly critical after the acting homeland security secretary, Elaine Duke, said the relief effort in Puerto Rico was a “good news story”. “Dammit, this is not a good news story,” Cruz told CNN. “This is a people are dying story. This is a life-or-death story.”

The facts will come out and this mayor being used as a deflection tactic will eventually be seen as the desperate sham it is.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope, crying.....while she prints a shirt....the other are doing their job...

LOL....not really...but if it's said many more times it may come true....

Doubtful....I know the left has short memories, but there were 2 other major recovery situations going on and a few wars....

The left is truly delusional....BS's post proves it....

And then there is this....from another mayor:
Do you think that there was not a print shop in San Juan, a city known to get tourists in the winter?

Old 10-01-2017, 12:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
He's more than a basket case, he's sick and books are being written about this man as so many highly educated people feel this way about him.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And they never will.
They don't want to and choose to live with their rose colored trump glasses.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Your 1st sentence makes whole post meaningless. By what you said, she found a place to print shirts and proceeded to print the one she is wearing! Do you realize how stupid that sounds? She was handed that shirt and put it on. You people are really something else that I cannot say in here or I would be banned.
LOL! It was pretty obvious Anderson Cooper gave her the t-shirt... propagandists of a feather stick together!

Old 10-01-2017, 12:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I Know, all the lies the left is pushing....amazing!

Wasn't talking about the left!!!! Don't know why you quoted me and posted that. I was quoting the poster who thinks he's a jerk.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:33 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Poor Trump, and his supporters. They just don't get it.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You have a lot of time on your hands.

Is bashing Trump your job? Hope it pays well. Can't imagine the benefits are that good. But what do I know? I'm just an idiotic Trump supporter.
~sarcasm~
Oh, the Communist party pays me very well, thanks for asking. I don't need benefits since the Communists - just like you - think I need "time on my hands" to reply to this drivel. Truth be told, it takes me maybe 20 - 30 minutes per day, and the Commies are paying me for 10 HOURS!
~ sarcasm~

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Oh, and btw, I'll ask my previous question here again since you're the Maria-Puerto Rico expert... How are PRs other 77 mayors doing
I haven't been able to find quotes from many other Puerto Rican mayors. Here's 3 mayors who have managed to report in according to the Washington Post:

The town mayor of Vega Bajan (northern Puerto Rico), said the floodwaters reached more than 10 feet. Stranded residents screamed “save me, save me,” using the lights in their cellphones to help rescue teams find them in the darkness, the town’s mayor said.

In Loiza, a north coastal town that already had been ravaged by Hurricane Irma, 90 percent of homes — 3,000 — were destroyed by Hurricane Maria just days later. In communities across the island, bridges collapsed and highways were severely damaged, isolating many residents. In Rio Grande, officials had yet to access a number of families stuck in their homes, three days after the powerful storm made landfall.
When speaking about his town’s destruction, Ramon Hernandez Torres, mayor of the southern city of Juana Diaz, took a long pause, his voice catching and his eyes filling with tears.

“It’s a total disaster,” he said.

The Washington Post article goes on to explain that:

Hurricane Maria pounded the entire island of Puerto Rico on Wednesday, but the scope of the damage had been speculative and unclear since, in large part because towns across the U.S. territory have been completely off the grid. Though images from the air showed incredible destruction, mayors were unable to reach central government for leadership and help because communication was impossible. No telephones, cellphones, or Internet. No power. No passage through roads that had been washed away or blocked with trees and power lines.

Quote:
and how many days were separating Hurricane Irma's devastation on PR and Hurricane Maria's?
Hurricane Irma made landfall in Puerto Rico on September 7.

Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico less than 2 weeks later on September 20th. Rescuers were in already in position in Houston the DAY BEFORE HARVEY STRUCK on August 25th. Given that Puerto Rico had been suffering for almost two weeks before the well predicted IN ADVANCE Maria struck, where was our government all that time???

Meteorologists gave plenty of warning about the coming devastation of Maria days before it made landfall. Hours before Maria struck, Accuweather had this to say:

Maria will threaten lives and cause devastation in areas hit and missed by Irma's worst less than two weeks earlier. According to Dr. Joel N. Myers, founder, president and chairman of AccuWeather, "There is no comparison between what Puerto Rico got before with Irma and what it will get this time with Maria.

This is a disaster in the making. All parties in Puerto Rico and the nearby islands need to know how serious this threat is. The damage done by wind gusts from the last storm (Irma) of 50 to 60 mph will pale in comparison to winds that may reach 140 from Hurricane Maria."

"It is possible that parts of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands may become uninhabitable for weeks or longer due to the destruction that Maria will cause
," Myers said.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...lands/70002745

FEMA, the US Navy and the rest of the US military new in ADVANCE what was headed Puerto Rico's way just like they knew what was headed for Houston earlier, so that they had relief agencies in position in Houston a full day before. Puerto Rico? Meh, it's just an island somewhere in the Pacific.

And as always, I'll thank you to not put words in my posts. I did not write that McDog is an "idiotic Trump supporter" when it comes to other subjects. In fact, I have admired some of your posts on other forums. So, there!

Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
What I find amazing is that for days after the storm when aid was flowing in the Governor had no complaints and was praising the response the media gave little coverage in the way of 10 second sound bites. 10 days later one spiteful Mayor who has an anti-Trump agenda and the media flocks to her when in reality most of what she is spewing is BS. She has time to get a T-shirt made up but doesn't have tio time to attend FEMA meetings in person or on a conference call.
Exactly. Barely any mention from the media with the administration's response to Irma and Harvey, either. Pretty sick the left was waiting for some kind of problem to arise that would let them attack Trump.

The hypocrisy of this mayor who had the time and ability to have a t-shirt printed and has the time to be interviewed every time CNN sticks a microphone in her face, yet cannot be bothered to attend FEMA meetings.

The left is in their glory they have a new story to blast Trump with....they could care less about the well being of the Puerto Rican citizens. Their main purpose is to turn this into a Katrina debacle that they can hang around the neck of the Trump administration. Who are they kidding???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies