Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times

Advertisements

How does a thread recommending snipers at all public events last this long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The problem isn't that people don't care or doesn't want to do anything. The problem is there's been nothing really offered that's either not already in place, would actually do anything other than make people feel better or is a total ban.
I'm all for shutting down the sale of "Bump Stocks", that makes sense. Again, ideas that will actually DO something, ideas that aren't already covered by laws currently in place?
Anyone?
Stephen Paddock purchased 33 guns over the last twelve months, mostly rifles.

While gun stores are required to report purchase of multiple handguns, there is a loophole in that stores are not required to report multiple rifle purchase.

Close that loophole.

Second, ban the sale of automatic weapons.

Third, set a limit on high capacity magazines, a law which was in place from 1994 to 2004, but was not renewed by Congress.

Fourth, outlaw the sale or use of all the modification devices that can make a semi-automatic into an automatic weapon.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:18 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The sheriff just mentioned that Paddock fired 200+ rounds into the hallway as the police/security guards approached. I know he had a camera set up on the dining cart in the hallway and was shooting through a closed door/wall, but it's amazing only one security guard got hit in the leg. I can only imagine what the police in the hallway were thinking, is it one perpetrator, a half dozen, what if he/they had explosives.

I think you misunderstood that 200 shots number. (I could be wrong. New information is coming out all the time.) The guard that was shot in the hallway was also the only person to approach the door at the point in time. He's credited with finding the actual room the shooter was in and calling the sheriff dispatcher.

Unarmed security guard who first found Las Vegas shooter's room being hailed as hero | abc7chicago.com

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The sheriff just mentioned that Paddock fired 200+ rounds into the hallway as the police/security guards approached. I know he had a camera set up on the dining cart in the hallway and was shooting through a closed door/wall, but it's amazing only one security guard got hit in the leg. I can only imagine what the police in the hallway were thinking, is it one perpetrator, a half dozen, what if he/they had explosives.
those cops had some big ol' brass ones, going into that room with little knowledge what they would encounter

Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
How does a thread recommending snipers at all public events last this long.
Moderator is asleep?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

While gun stores are required to report purchase of multiple handguns, there is a loophole in that stores are not required to report multiple rifle purchase.

Close that loophole.
Depending on how it's implemented and the exact wording I'd not have an issue.

Would that be multiples at one time or over a period of time? Would that be all long guns including shotguns or just semi-auto rifles?
Would this require a Federal database that's accessed by the dealer like the Federal narcotic database to see where/what that person has purchased in the recent past to thwart gun store shopping?

Also, what would be the number that triggers reporting 2,3,10 and in what time frame?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,745 times
Quote:

Close that loophole.
Almost correct, a gun Store is required to submit to the Federal Government a separate form, all on their end about multiple gun purchases on the same given date. It does not distinguish if it was rifle or handgun, just that the person buying the firearms was buying more than one at a time on the same given date.

Once I purchased several firearms at the same time, two hand guns and 1 shot gun. I watched the store put the serial numbers on a separate form. I was not required to sign that form. Only the gun store was filling it out.

If the buyer was not paying attention, they would not even know about this other form.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:24 PM

165 posts, read 132,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I saw the GoFundMe is up to almost 9 million I wonder how they're going to decide how all of that is divvied up.
Paddock didn't have any kids so I am wondering who he left his money to in his will (if he had one) and whether or not the government decides to take it.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:

Close that loophole.

Second, ban the sale of automatic weapons.

Third, set a limit on high capacity magazines, a law which was in place from 1994 to 2004, but was not renewed by Congress.

Fourth, outlaw the sale or use of all the modification devices that can make a semi-automatic into an automatic weapon.
Automatic weapons have been banned for many years (unless you have a certain type of FFL).

Old 10-04-2017, 07:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The days of public gatherings at the bottoms of tall buildings in the United States are over. That is until enough white people are gunned down and the Second is eliminated.
Uh; even COUNTING all those mass shootings by white people, including Muslim Arabs: the Black on Black murder rate is many times higher out of 100 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies