Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because a mentally ill person should have the right to buy 47 guns because Constitution? Is logic completely lost on gun owners? Let's pass a law saying all pyromaniacs should have the right to matches.
Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment.

If the government wants to deprive someone of their rights, they take that individual to court and do so.

That is the way of this country.

Quote:
Would the NRA support restricting guns from the mentally ill and support methods to identify the mentally ill and get regular checks to identify changes in mental stability for gun owners? The brother says he was fine, what if this man's status changed? We have to get regular eye checks for a drivers license, there is no reason a person with 47 guns shouldn't be checked periodically.
One's driver's license is not covered by the Constitution; the owner ship of guns is.

Apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Don't append your childish "FFS" to try and minimize my comment. You are just skirting the TOS of the board and I've been civil, so not sure why you need to go there. My point was that there is no confirmed information out there yet, so pretty much anything is open as a possibility right about now.
I'm not sure how you were offended by that but it was not my intent so I deleted the post.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:48 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Here is another...in England of all places during a relatively peaceful protest march:

Pictured: Police SNIPERS spotted on roof at peaceful anti-austerity march sparked by Tory conference - Mirror Online

Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Hey, while we are making nonsense suggestions that skirt the heart of the issue... How about we pass the silencer laws that the NRA is pushing for now so that people won't even realize they are being shot down like animals until it is far too late. More people killed in the process! I'm sure, those silencers are essential for hunters out in the woods.
Since you don't know how a suppressor works you probably shouldn't comment on it. That usually makes the poster appear smart as a glass of water.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Probably should have a rocket launcher in the backseat too because one never knows. And a bullet proof vest worn at all times because the shopper on aisle five might mistake their gun for their coupons. Should everyone at that concert have been fully armed? What would it have accomplished? The police scanner also talked about the problems with drunk people. Should they be armed too?
Yes, having a spare tire is the equivalent of carrying a rocket launcher. I also have one of those tools in the center console that can cut through a seat belt and break glass in case I ever get in an accident that traps me in the car. Would you like to compare that to a nuke now?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment.

If the government wants to deprive someone of their rights, they take that individual to court and do so.

That is the way of this country.

One's driver's license is not covered by the Constitution; the owner ship of guns is.

Apples and oranges.
When the hobby is a killing device and the support of that killing device is so fervent that the concept of a mentally ill person not getting the killing device is a constitutional crisis, we have completely jumped the shark. Was Paddock mentally ill? It would seem so but we don't know. Gun supporters not only wouldn't want to restrict his getting a gun, they wouldn't even support a test to determine if he should have a gun, even after 500 people were shot.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:53 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Would the NRA support restricting guns from the mentally ill and support methods to identify the mentally ill and get regular checks to identify changes in mental stability for gun owners? The brother says he was fine, what if this man's status changed? We have to get regular eye checks for a drivers license, there is no reason a person with 47 guns shouldn't be checked periodically.
Just how many firearms do you think one person can fire at a time? Do you actually think swapping firearms is faster than a mag swap?

BTW a bull barrel won't heat nearly as fast as a pencil barrel and AKs will literally catch the stock on fire from barrel heat and still fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSJiAwoMpY

Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Or how about we get rid of the guns? Problem solved without all this BS with "how to protect ourselves cause we can't trust each other".

How are you going to do that with criminals that won't turn them in? The person, not the gun is the problem. The likelihood of anyone being killed in a "mass shooting" like this one, or a terrorist attack is so small that it is ridiculous. Worry about something that can really kill you. People overreact with emotion, and demand we just do stupid things that only make things more difficult for the law abiding.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yes, having a spare tire is the equivalent of carrying a rocket launcher. I also have one of those tools in the center console that can cut through a seat belt and break glass in case I ever get in an accident that traps me in the car. Would you like to compare that to a nuke now?
Didn't answer the question. Should everyone at that concert have been fully armed? What would it have accomplished? Many were drunk according to the police scanners. So 22,000 fully armed people, some drunk, start shooting at an undetermined source with no ability to actually stop the shooter who is 32 floors up.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
When the hobby is a killing device and the support of that killing device is so fervent that the concept of a mentally ill person not getting the killing device is a constitutional crisis, we have completely jumped the shark. Was Paddock mentally ill? It would seem so but we don't know. Gun supporters not only wouldn't want to restrict his getting a gun, they wouldn't even support a test to determine if he should have a gun, even after 500 people were shot.
Well, if we have crisis then the options available are amend the Constitution, hold a Constitutional Convention, ............................ or hold a coup.

Myself, I do not believe with have a constitutional crisis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies