Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2017, 08:25 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So if no laws will prevent these things why do conservatives want to ban muslims in an attempt to prevent terrorism?
It's no different than insurance. Why do we pay thousands of dollars a year to "protect" our house, our vehicle, our health? You can go a lifetime spending that money with no return, which aside from $'s spent meant nothing bad happened. But in the oft chance something happens, you'll be glad you had insurance.

IMO laws are put in place to protect people from people for some level of protection, and to give those the ability to prosecute after the fact for some sort of retribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
It doesn't matter how many gun laws and restrictions you impose.

There are millions of guns in the USA now, and they are not going away.

It's ironic how Democrats blather on and on about gun control but never mention open borders.

Laws haven't stopped the flow of drugs and won't stop the flow of ammunition and guns
even if the USA made all guns illegal.

Democrats will never do anything to tighten our borders and risk losing the Hispanic vote.
Well sneaking across the border is illegal yet people still do it.

Banning guns will only make the law abiding conform while giving the criminals more opportunity knowing that they will never face an armed victim.

A big step forward in gun control would be to use the laws that we already have. In my state of Mass. if you are caught with an unlicensed, unregistered gun or even bullets it is supposed to be a mandatory one year in jail but this is often tossed out by our liberal judges. Why? I the cops catch a drug dealer and he has a illegal gun I say throw the book at them. They should also bring back stop and frisk in dangerous neighborhoods. Taking these illegal guns off the streets and the thugs that carry them would really impact the daily death toll of people killed and wounded by guns.

It wouldn't have stopped the Vegas shooting but it would slow the carnage.

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
http://twitter.com/BlunderingIdiom/s...69905038438401

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Dirt bags are the problem be it driving, shooting, burglarizing, thieving, raping....
But...you run with that.
Exactly! Timothy McVeigh managed to kill 168 people and injure more that 680 in Oklahoma City without the need for a gun.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm surprised those types so afraid of an inanimate object even leave the house. Probably wear a helmet and life jacket taking the bus.

Key words:

assault weapon
assault rifle
military style
clip
high capacity
silencer
arsenal
machine gun

That about covers the self proclaimed "experts".
Actually it's the opposite.
It's the gun owners that are living their lives in fear.

Not that your gun is going to any help to you whatsoever.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:28 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
I'm thinking Nevada in particular is pretty lax, from what has been said lately. Setting an alert for people who have bought a lot of guns and ammo seems reasonable at the federal level.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The shooter made no illegal purchases, therefore it is reasonable to assume that if high capacity magazines, bump stocks and similar legal mods, etc were made illegal, than at least some of those deaths and injuries might have been prevented.
I am pretty sure he would have made illegal purchases if necessary - mags and weapons.

No need for bump stocks to make an automatic weapon, although you could easily make bump stocks if you want.

I can't see even if you banned all manufacturing and owning weapons and ammunition stopping this guy from doing what he wanted to do esp. given his financial status. And any poor or less resourceful person would simply resort to other crimes to get the monies necessary for such black market purchases.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Actually it's the opposite.
It's the gun owners that are living their lives in fear.

Not that your gun is going to any help to you whatsoever.
I do not live in fear, just prepared, which you obviously are not, life is full of choices.

Actually one has done exactly that on more than one occasion for me. If you were interested you would read up on the many times someone having a firearm has helped.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I am interested in hearing from those that advocate these laws and why you think they would prevent such a crime.
Shooting people with guns should be against the law, to prevent such behavior.

If that doesn't work, the problem is far more complex that passing more gun laws, from which the gangs, thugs and crazies are self exempt.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I believe that every living creature has a inherent right to defend itself from violence. I apply this to people as well. I am just glad that grains, cattle and chickens are not very good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies