Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I don't mind you answer, but I suspect the reason the person I was addressing, really asking, didn't answer for obvious reasons...

I think you are largely correct, but additionally there is the issue of racism that gives blacks all the more reason to feel a lack of hope that can lead to despair and a good many other negatives. Hope is really what drives people to excel and/or overcome their challenges. Lack of hope, especially when pervasive among those around you, tends to send people spiraling downward, toward drugs, crime, violence and all the rest.

Lack of hope, and lack of confidence, lack of opportunity, lack of good parenting, lack of good example, etc...

Those are really the reasons that blacks are disproportionately represented in all too many crime related statistics as well as poverty statistics, poor levels of education and all the rest that compounds and exasperates a very difficult social problem indeed.

Some say racism is not really still a problem in America today, but show me a white person that would "trade skins" with a black person given all these issues just outlined, and I'll show you someone who doesn't know the first thing about this issue in the first place...

Well, though many Black neighborhoods are steeped with a violent culture, the Hispanic gang culture is far larger. They have supplanted the Black gangs by a significant margin. Dieing at a young age is a significant part of their doctrine. They are larger, better funded and organized (being the cartels boots on the ground here) but the focus is on Black violence.

Yea, the violent riots and destruction of their own neighborhoods is far more prevalent with Blacks, but this is not any sort of organized effort with any viable goal. It's more opportunism from what I see. The Hispanic gangs don't organize such things nor do the people they basically govern. Such things are ...bad for business.

As related to the topic of this thread, again I state "gun violence" in the US is NOT unique. Not at all. The worst of this does come from criminal gangs. And it is a cultural thing. These weird acts by lone White guys is not unique either. There are lots of countries where single shooters open up on crowds. Often on orders from some petty warlord. African nations are a good example here. And these shooters are often no more than like ten years old.

We just don't hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
^^^^Plus handguns are used by far a lot more than rifles in crime, and its the inner city gang bangers committing most of the crimes with them.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I have to go digging through your posts at the Mandalay thread and show where you were ranting about AR15s etc?

Those are your words... are they not?

Claimed to have been shot/grazed in the back of the head...

Anyone with medical/ER/trauma expirience will tell you that's a load of horse crap of the highest order. They'd have shaved his head due to hair holding bacteria to avoid infection. His head would have been shaved and he'd have a bandage wrapped around where the wound would have been stitched or stapled... Both my little sister and mother are nurses. Sister worked quite a few ER and Trauma rotations and a few times in ICU...
I'm impressed!

However, I suspect you will not understand or accept how that quote was not intended to mean I think that's a "solution."

What I was explaining there was how I can justify a ban on weapons Paddock used as compared to hand guns for example, but I have also explained -- more than once -- that I don't think such a ban is any sort of solution for a host of other reasons not having much to do with that justification. Fair?

In any case, I commend you on pointing out -- with specifics -- and verbatim -- what you were referring to. Sorry that might have taken some time and effort to dig out, but bottom line..., I am not convinced that banning AR15s and the like is any sort of "solution" to preventing the sort of terrorism Paddock managed to pull off.

As for the rest...

Are you saying you are among those sharing that conspiracy theory?

Here again, maybe more clarification is appropriate, because although all you write makes good sense about how a gun shot wound to the head is likely to be treated, none of those questions about that one guy makes the conspiracy theory any less whacky. Right?

Please tell me you agree, that you're not one of those conspiracy nut jobs...

Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, though many Black neighborhoods are steeped with a violent culture, the Hispanic gang culture is far larger. They have supplanted the Black gangs by a significant margin. Dieing at a young age is a significant part of their doctrine. They are larger, better funded and organized (being the cartels boots on the ground here) but the focus is on Black violence.

Yea, the violent riots and destruction of their own neighborhoods is far more prevalent with Blacks, but this is not any sort of organized effort with any viable goal. It's more opportunism from what I see. The Hispanic gangs don't organize such things nor do the people they basically govern. Such things are ...bad for business.

As related to the topic of this thread, again I state "gun violence" in the US is NOT unique. Not at all. The worst of this does come from criminal gangs. And it is a cultural thing. These weird acts by lone White guys is not unique either. There are lots of countries where single shooters open up on crowds. Often on orders from some petty warlord. African nations are a good example here. And these shooters are often no more than like ten years old.

We just don't hear about it.
Seems you don't hear an awful lot...

The simple difference in percentage of population, blacks vs Hispanics, tends to push the Hispanic related numbers up significantly. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17.8% of the total U.S. population, now making up the largest ethnic minority. Again of course, there are lots of other factors beyond just these percentages that ultimately determine where the problems exist and why.

Not sure who or what you're listening to, but I'm hearing plenty about Hispanic gang problems, and though I live in what I like to think is a safe community, it isn't like the problem of Hispanic gangs isn't close to us in more ways than just one.

Might be that some folks can focus on more than just one problem. Think.

Either way, the focus on the title of this thread is appropriate. Yes, but I think most people would agree that "gun violence" in this country is unique when the related statistics are compared to other ADVANCED MODERN DAY SOCIETIES (like Australia or the UK, Italy, France, Denmark or even China). Compare to Mogadishu or Uganda and I think we're back to comparing "apples with oranges."

What you don't hear about or only hear about is more a function of your band width I think, not everyone's...

Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times
Quote:
I'm impressed!

However, I suspect you will not understand or accept how that quote was not intended to mean I think that's a "solution."

What I was explaining there was how I can justify a ban on weapons Paddock used as compared to hand guns for example, but I have also explained -- more than once -- that I don't think such a ban is any sort of solution for a host of other reasons not having much to do with that justification. Fair?

In any case, I commend you on pointing out -- with specifics -- and verbatim -- what you were referring to. Sorry that might have taken some time and effort to dig out, but bottom line..., I am not convinced that banning AR15s and the like is any sort of "solution" to preventing the sort of terrorism Paddock managed to pull off.

As for the rest...

Are you saying you are among those sharing that conspiracy theory?

Here again, maybe more clarification is appropriate, because although all you write makes good sense about how a gun shot wound to the head is likely to be treated, none of those questions about that one guy makes the conspiracy theory any less whacky. Right?

Please tell me you agree, that you're not one of those conspiracy nut jobs...
Thus going back to prove my point you are in favor of legislation and restricting access to the implements... which has been the argument... you want ban/control over implements. I want to remove criminal incentive without limiting access to anything.

Since you began posting, you've either changed your stance on the argument, or you're trying to play mental gymnastics.
In the Mandalay bay thread it was you who I got to come out and say law is compelled by emotion and it was you who said it wasn't fear, yet frustration...

Should I keep going back to your arguments and use your exact words? It'll take time. But if that's what you want, I'll do it.

Conspiracy theory...

Here again I stand firm in that you should research things for yourself not parrot what the media mainstream or social, repeats on play. If it makes you a conspiracy theorist to question what's being reported then guilty as charged.

I won't be urinated on and told it's rain. That man did not get shot in the back of the head nor grazed.
Crisis actor? Maybe. Looking to capitalize on tragedy? Possibly. Some people are evil opportunists and start crowd funding/gofundme. That guy his motive is irrelevant. His story is a lie.
Believe what you want, go ask people in the know.

Just like in the Mandalay thread where a poster believed a criminal profiler for saying the 223 round tumbles and is oh so powerful. I sat down and calculated range and ballistics and the average density of the human body. The handler talked out of both sides of his mouth. The 223 tumbles. It isn't meant to go clean through a body, then follows up with the majority of the people wounded took rounds that had passed through other bodies. For the later to be true either a legitimate rifle round, not an intermediate cartridge was used, or someone was firing closer than the 32nd floor at mandalay into the crowd with a 223 chambered rifle for the later to be true.

So... believe what you want that's your choice. Im not a sheep. I question what is reported as the "truth" that makes me a conspiracy theorist ohwell. It's no different than my line of work. Kid comes in with daddy's money truck claims the truck up and died. All I want to know is if there is a tuner in it so I can fix it. I won't void warranty for this that or the other. When they lie, and it's easy to tell when they're lying... it just makes the repair process that much longer.

Im telling you right now. That man did not get shot in the back of the head. Nor was he grazed in the back of the head. If you believe it, fine. Go show his interview to medical professionals. They'll discredit him the same as me.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:47 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
<SNIP>

Some say racism is not really still a problem in America today, but show me a white person that would "trade skins" with a black person given all these issues just outlined, and I'll show you someone who doesn't know the first thing about this issue in the first place...
Would you be willing to trade skins? If so, what does that mean? If not, what does that mean?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
For calendar year 2014 I was employed by a largely Jewish law firm. At some point recently some of the department heads decided it was time to "diversify" so I lost my job at the end of the year, in part, since I wasn't "diverse" enough. A skin trade may have fixed that problem; a diverse skin with a majority-value brain.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For calendar year 2014 I was employed by a largely Jewish law firm. At some point recently some of the department heads decided it was time to "diversify" so I lost my job at the end of the year, in part, since I wasn't "diverse" enough. A skin trade may have fixed that problem; a diverse skin with a majority-value brain.
Yes, reverse-racism is real. I tried to get a small business loan one time. I was told, off the record, that I was the wrong color, I am white. I would imagine it also happens in the reverse from some banks.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:49 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Seems you don't hear an awful lot...

The simple difference in percentage of population, blacks vs Hispanics, tends to push the Hispanic related numbers up significantly. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17.8% of the total U.S. population, now making up the largest ethnic minority. Again of course, there are lots of other factors beyond just these percentages that ultimately determine where the problems exist and why.

Not sure who or what you're listening to, but I'm hearing plenty about Hispanic gang problems, and though I live in what I like to think is a safe community, it isn't like the problem of Hispanic gangs isn't close to us in more ways than just one.

Might be that some folks can focus on more than just one problem. Think.

Either way, the focus on the title of this thread is appropriate. Yes, but I think most people would agree that "gun violence" in this country is unique when the related statistics are compared to other ADVANCED MODERN DAY SOCIETIES (like Australia or the UK, Italy, France, Denmark or even China). Compare to Mogadishu or Uganda and I think we're back to comparing "apples with oranges."

What you don't hear about or only hear about is more a function of your band width I think, not everyone's...

I wasn't talking about the Hispanic gangs in not hearing about things. We hear about that all the time. I was talking about the massive violence and mass shooting in other countries. African nations have this happen every day, former Soviet states are quite violent in certain areas. It's that stuff we never hear about.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Gun ownership/guns per capita in America has gone up significantly for the last 20 years and yet the gun homicide rate has GONE DOWN...how could that be? That is exactly why people like me think there are more sinister people behind the effort to disarm the public, since the narrative is a fallacy.

Going to post it again for those who didn't see it. Media could cut these mass murders with guns down significantly if they would stop seeking to glorify it. The blood is on CNN's and their ilks' hands.

Quote:
"Media Contagion" Is Factor in Mass Shootings, Study Says
Psychologist calls on media to withhold shooters’ names
DENVER — People who commit mass shootings in America tend to share three traits: rampant depression, social isolation and pathological narcissism, according to a paper presented at the American Psychological Association’s annual convention that calls on the media to deny such shooters the fame they seek.
“Mass shootings are on the rise and so is media coverage of them,” said Jennifer B. Johnston, PhD, of Western New Mexico University. “At this point, can we determine which came first? Is the relationship merely unidirectional: More shootings lead to more coverage? Or is it possible that more coverage leads to more shootings?”
Johnston and her coauthor, Andrew Joy, BS, also of Western New Mexico University, reviewed data on mass shootings amassed by media outlets, the FBI and advocacy organizations, as well as scholarly articles, to conclude that “media contagion” is largely responsible for the increase in these often deadly outbursts. They defined mass shootings as either attempts to kill multiple people who are not relatives or those resulting in injuries or fatalities in public places.
The prevalence of these crimes has risen in relation to the mass media coverage of them and the proliferation of social media sites that tend to glorify the shooters and downplay the victims, Johnston said.
“We suggest that the media cry to cling to ‘the public’s right to know’ covers up a greedier agenda to keep eyeballs glued to screens, since they know that frightening homicides are their No. 1 ratings and advertising boosters,” she said.
The demographic profile of mass shooters is fairly consistent, she said. Most are white, ostensibly heterosexual males, largely between the ages of 20 and 50. They tend to see themselves as “victims of injustice,” and share a belief that they have been cheated out of their rightful dominant place as white, middle-class males.
“Unfortunately, we find that a cross-cutting trait among many profiles of mass shooters is desire for fame,” she said. This quest for fame among mass shooters skyrocketed since the mid-1990s “in correspondence to the emergence of widespread 24-hour news coverage on cable news programs, and the rise of the internet during the same period.”
She cited several media contagion models, most notably one proposed by Towers et al. (2015), which found the rate of mass shootings has escalated to an average of one every 12.5 days, and one school shooting on average every 31.6 days, compared to a pre-2000 level of about three events per year. “A possibility is that news of shooting is spread through social media in addition to mass media,” she said.

“If the mass media and social media enthusiasts make a pact to no longer share, reproduce or retweet the names, faces, detailed histories or long-winded statements of killers, we could see a dramatic reduction in mass shootings in one to two years,” she said.

“Even conservatively, if the calculations of contagion modelers are correct, we should see at least a one-third reduction in shootings if the contagion is removed.”
She said this approach could be adopted in much the same way as the media stopped reporting celebrity suicides in the mid-1990s after it was corroborated that suicide was contagious. Johnston noted that there was “a clear decline” in suicide by 1997, a couple of years after the Centers for Disease Control convened a working group of suicidologists, researchers and the media, and then made recommendations to the media.
“The media has come together before to work for good, to incite social change,” she said. “They have done, and they can do it. It is time. It is enough.”

https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...contagion.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies