Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Pretty much, yeah. I don't see any issue with how the conversation is going so far. Doesn't seem like anyone has a reasonable answer though.
But you have a fatal flaw. People have to communicate, people don't have to have guns. I'm not saying that I care about gun control or not but you're not arguing 2 equals. Furthermore, outside of absolutes like 2+2=4, most speech are interpretations/opinions even if presented as fact. You can't really legislate opinions.
Maybe arguing about cars would be closer. You don't need a car, cars in the wrong hands, etc. but seriously, who cares? Your guns aren't going anywhere.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:53 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
When the founding fathers wrote the original words of the 1st Ammendment, they had no idea how technology would drastically change communications.

With the advent of things like the internet, blogs, FaceBook, and twitter, it is WAY too dangerous to let anyone and everyone have access to communicate so many words, so fast and to so many people all at once. You saw what happened with the spread of all this fake news and how it influenced the election, its just not acceptable.

WHY does anyone need the ability to spew out their words to 100s of millions of people across the world in seconds with just the push of a button. This is irresponsible and dangerous.

The founding fathers never could have seen this coming, we need to ban freedom of speech now, its gotten way out of hand from what they intended.
And only be allowed to use words that were available in the 18th century.

And you can only insult a person with a single action insult if you feel they will insult you.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:55 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
There has been no proof of that happening. It's all allegations coming from the Democrats and it came AFTER Hillary lost.
Whatever you think, the OP theory wouldn't help with the speech originating from another country. What does our law have to do with Russian crime? Nyet

Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But you have a fatal flaw. People have to communicate, people don't have to have guns. I'm not saying that I care about gun control or not but you're not arguing 2 equals. Furthermore, outside of absolutes like 2+2=4, most speech are interpretations/opinions even if presented as fact. You can't really legislate opinions.
Maybe arguing about cars would be closer. You don't need a car, cars in the wrong hands, etc. but seriously, who cares? Your guns aren't going anywhere.
Thats not a flaw, there are definitely people that need guns. Not everyone, but definitely some, and its up to everyone to decide where they fall. Additionally, my point is about our new advanced way of communications, not just communication as a whole.

No, my guns have nowhere to go since they don't even exist.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
I don't see the equivalence at all.

Hit 58 people or 10 million with words, and they go on their way or ignore you.

Hit 58 people long range with bullets from an automatic rifle and they are dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Their lives are over--they are never coming back.

Probably the other injured 500 are going to have physical and/or psychological problems for the rest of their lives.

Families are devastated. Children lost parents. Parents lost children. Exponentially hundreds and hundreds of lives are ruined.

Because of one angry crazy ahole with a gun exercising his 2nd amendment rights.

So please don't try to make light of it with a vapid irrelevant comparison.

Epic thread fail.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:19 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times
Quote:
Interesting. What exactly don't I understand? Also, the question remains, its not a nonsensical analogy. It applies the same logic to both amendments. Why is that nonsensical?
Comparing words to bullets?
Comparing the number of people who can hear your message to the number who can die by you hand?

Quote:
Thats not a flaw, there are definitely people that need guns. Not everyone, but definitely some, and its up to everyone to decide where they fall. Additionally, my point is about our new advanced way of communications, not just communication as a whole.

No, my guns have nowhere to go since they don't even exist.
If it was up to everyone to decide, how can you argue that it is a "well regulated militia"?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
But why do you need so many words at once? And to so many people at once? Its a lot of words and it scares me because you might do bad things with your words.

and THIS right there is the problem....

You are afraid of somebody's words, so your solution is to take it away from everyone? How does this make any sense?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:25 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't see the equivalence at all.

Hit 58 people or 10 million with words, and they go on their way or ignore you.

Hit 58 people long range with bullets from an automatic rifle and they are dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Their lives are over--they are never coming back.

Probably the other injured 500 are going to have physical and/or psychological problems for the rest of their lives.

Families are devastated. Children lost parents. Parents lost children. Exponentially hundreds and hundreds of lives are ruined.

Because of one angry crazy ahole with a gun exercising his 2nd amendment rights.

So please don't try to make light of it with a vapid rrelevant comparison.

Epic thread fail.
Nice try, but not a fail at all. See, we have LOTS of people who post here talking about how fake news, social media, and trolls swung the election and how they fear that Trump is going to send us to war, push NK to use their nukes, destroy the environment through regulations so there is clearly a life and death equivalent. You also have a huge issue with people using social media to harass kids who end up killing themselves because they get overwhelmed with messages from their entire class/school, you have ISIS and other hate groups that mass communicate to spread their message, recruit and radicalize people who go on to torture and kill. All of this is accomplished through highly advanced technology that uses mass communication to talk to millions of people with minimal to no regulation across the world at the blink of an eye.

The correlations are clearly there. If you just don't want to see them because you don't like what it means for the gun argument, thats just a failure of basic logic to suit political views.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
"what we actually need is more speech"
Why then are Liberals at colleges wanting to shut down speech that hurts their ears?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
no we dont, because the freedom of speech is not for the public, its to keep government from coming after you when you open your big mouth, its not a public right, its to keep government at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies