Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is a good question, i certainly dont want any of our rights repealed.
If my post came across as insinuating that's what you wanted, my apologies, since that wasn't how I meant it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So basically you are saying citizens should have the right to own nuclear weapons. Correct?
this is a stupid question and you know it. especially since a nuclear weapon is classed as an explosive, and not a firearm. now rockets and missiles on the other hand...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If my post came across as insinuating that's what you wanted, my apologies, since that wasn't how I meant it.
actually i knew exactly what you meant. you agreed with me, but you also agreed that it would be stupid to repeal any of our rights.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:51 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Quote:
this is a stupid question and you know it. especially since a nuclear weapon is classed as an explosive, and not a firearm. now rockets and missiles on the other hand...........

actually i knew exactly what you meant. you agreed with me, but you also agreed that it would be stupid to repeal any of our rights.

It is not a stupid question. Can someone delineate a small arm? You can call a nuke an explosive but rifles legally can dispense explosive bullets. I am still waiting for a definition.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
we have had this argument before, the fact is that any amendment, even the second, can be repealed. the process is laid out in the constitution itself.
That would infringe on my basic right to life, liberty & property.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
So basically you are saying citizens should have the right to own nuclear weapons. Correct?
Let me explain the difference.

I can take a select fire M16 with a full clip and leave it untouched in my basement for 75 years without it harming another person.

If I had a nuclear weapon in my basement untouched for 75 years, it may very well start leaking radioactive contamination and negatively impact hundreds or even thousands of my neighbors.

The same goes for biological and chemical weapons.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:

When was a nuke classified and defined under "small arms"?
... and, the 2nd amendment, does not say, "citizens"

If you can afford it, who is going to stop you from making it yourself? Nukes are not cheap to make.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let me explain the difference.

I can take a select fire M16 with a full clip and leave it untouched in my basement for 75 years without it harming another person.

If I had a nuclear weapon in my basement untouched for 75 years, it may very well start leaking radioactive contamination and negatively impact hundreds or even thousands of my neighbors.

The same goes for biological and chemical weapons.

OK. I have asked this twice I will try again. What constitutes a small weapon. What is the definition.
Please don't try to lecture me on nuclear decay as I was in the navy nuclear program and are quite familiar. The blast radius would have been the issue anyways.

The whole conversation of gun control revolves around. The right seems to think the left wants to ban all guns. Generally speaking that is nonsense. I feel there should be limits on payload. There is no need for guns that deliver a 100 rounds per minute.

What should be the limitation of deadliness?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
It is not a stupid question. Can someone delineate a small arm? You can call a nuke an explosive but rifles legally can dispense explosive bullets. I am still waiting for a definition.
you mean to tell me that you as a thinking adult, supposedly, do not know the difference between a bomb and a small arm? and where in the constitution does even say small arms? it says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. it does not say small arms, large arms, or what ever.

as for explosive bullets, and comparing them to nuclear weapons, that is a completely rubbish argument and you know it as well. when was the last time an explosive bullet blew up a large section of a city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That would infringe on my basic right to life, liberty & property.
oh yeah, the old life liberty and pursuit of happiness argument. sorry not a law or right listed in the constitution, you only find that in the declaration of independence. nice try but you fail.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
you mean to tell me that you as a thinking adult, supposedly, do not know the difference between a bomb and a small arm? and where in the constitution does even say small arms? it says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. it does not say small arms, large arms, or what ever.

as for explosive bullets, and comparing them to nuclear weapons, that is a completely rubbish argument and you know it as well. when was the last time an explosive bullet blew up a large section of a city?

oh yeah, the old life liberty and pursuit of happiness argument. sorry not a law or right listed in the constitution, you only find that in the declaration of independence. nice try but you fail.
I most certainly do know the difference. The question is when do things become indiscriminate.

Guy shooting a rifle that can dispense over 100 rounds per second. Is that accurate or precise? Of course not. Could it do as much collateral damage as a small explosive? Of course.

This is what gun control talk needs to be about. Limitations. Of course the NRA is all about no limitations.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:

Your basic rights do not come from the constitution itself. Every human, not in bondage to another human, incarcerated or dead, had the right to their life, their liberty and their property, before the constitution was composed and ratified, to allow government to exist in the first place.
The beauty of the 2nd amendment is, by placing the words, shall not be infringed. even an attempt to amend it, would be unconstitutional ans it would infringe on that basic right to preserve your own life, liberty and what is yours, with lethal force of arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies