Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Since I'm a male , I have changed my status to "you too?" In solidarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I realize there is a difference, but where, exactly, do you draw the line? Verbal intimidation? Unwanted touching of a butt or a breast? Grabbing the kitty?

I think there is a spectrum of sexual misbehavior, and those whose "milder" offenses are ignored may feel emboldened to take things to the next level.
That's true, but there's the opposite problem too. I knew a fraternity filled with dumb, testosterone-ridden young men who were constantly either drunk or lifting weights. I did see them studying from time to time, in groups no less, and I think they didn't receive particularly poor grades, but they'd do dumb things like go buy beer from a gas station and take it to their dormitory (and it was a dry campus) and they'd bring the beer in a gym bag filled with air holes so that anybody who looked at it closely could see that it was filled with Keystone Ice.

There was a group of girls who would hang out with those fraternity members. The girls had been around them for a long time. They were all friends, promiscuous, drunk friends. One of the guys engaged in some drunken leg fondling of one of the girls. They were not dating. She told him to stop, so he stopped. She stayed with the group. Problem solved.

Many of those mild offenses are nothing more than mild offenses. It all depends on the situation, how well the people know each other, etc.

There is no definite point to draw the line, and I think that's what's important to remember. There is no definite, society-given line that can be drawn before actual rape, except for things like running up to a complete stranger in a grocery store or some other non-social environment and fondling them or something.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
probably because everyone on the planet has been harassed. I'm an ugly fat man and it's happened to me. I used to be slightly less ugly and fat, but I was still socially awkward and talked to myself. If the two are grouped together, it's not exactly revealing much of a problem, necessarily.

Although, this way it's much less like you're being encouraged to post: "Hey everyone! I've been sexually assaulted!" which might be kind of cruel to push people to reveal....
Not talking about being insulted. I've been insulted, too. I think that's practically universal.

I'm talking about being sexually harassed. Or blackmailed bc of/for sex.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
It should also add: and how many of you who answered "yes" and didn't report it when it happened, lecture/preach to others about being a strong woman?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Just saw it yesterday..if you are a woman who has been sexually assaulted sometime in your lifetime you are supposed to simply post "Me Too" on your timeline to show that the problem is rampant in light of the Harvey Wienstein case. Uh....no....not playing that game. Thoughts?

Mae
It's not a 'challenge'. Why would you use that as part of your thread title?
It's not a competition for goodness sake!!
It's a statement of solidarity.

Even though I have been sexually harassed and support those who want to speak out, I just don't get involved in any emotional or political movements on facebook at all. That's not how I use it.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:23 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's for harassment and/or assault.

Kind of weird to lump them both together.
It is not so easy to differentiate between sexual assault and harassment anyway. There is a clearer line with sexual battery, but it is easy to miss the line when someone's sexual harassment of you became sexual assault instead.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:32 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I realize there is a difference, but where, exactly, do you draw the line? Verbal intimidation? Unwanted touching of a butt or a breast? Grabbing the kitty?

I think there is a spectrum of sexual misbehavior, and those whose "milder" offenses are ignored may feel emboldened to take things to the next level.
Harassment can be just words. It should not be placed in the same category as assault. Assault comes in different levels. Some idiot on a crowded train brushes your butt or breasts over your jacket it is just annoying. A drunk guy at a Christmas party gives you a kiss under the mistletoe and tries to slip the tongue, annoying.

Then there are the real assaults- full on molestation.

Rape is in another category altogether, it is cruel and insensitive to lump it in with anything else.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:11 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Its good that people can realise just how widespread it is - I doubt there's a single female I know who hasn't experienced sexual harassment or assault at some point in their life. I'm not brave enough to post me too on facebook though because I don't want my mum trying to talk to me about it.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It should also add: and how many of you who answered "yes" and didn't report it when it happened, lecture/preach to others about being a strong woman?
What about it?

Old 10-16-2017, 08:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Harassment can be just words. It should not be placed in the same category as assault. Assault comes in different levels. Some idiot on a crowded train brushes your butt or breasts over your jacket it is just annoying. A drunk guy at a Christmas party gives you a kiss under the mistletoe and tries to slip the tongue, annoying.

Then there are the real assaults- full on molestation.

Rape is in another category altogether, it is cruel and insensitive to lump it in with anything else.
This has to be the most nitpicky breakdown of something very serious that I've ever seen.

How could you presume to know how it feels to a woman to continually have dudes casually groping their bodies on crowded trains?

Some guy shoving his tongue in your mouth is assault, too.

A "real" assault is any sort of touching, groping, grabbing, kissing, that you DID not consent to.

And, yes... being raped is worse, but that doesn't mean that an assault won't change a person's life.

I good many people I'm seeing were molested as children. Not raped, necessarily, but definitely molested.

Are you going to tell them that they weren't raped, so it's just not a big deal?

Come on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies