Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:26 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times

Advertisements

On Fresh Air today on NPR, Jane Mayer, a staff writer for the New Yorker, who has conducted a long research into Mike Pence's career, was the guest of host Terry Gross. There were some eye-opening details about Pence's past and present activities, revealed on this program.

Pence was described as having gotten himself in big trouble with many people when he was Governor of Indiana, by promoting and getting religious rights legislation passed. It was said that his re-election as governor was in doubt and he jumped at the chance to be the Vice-Presidential Nominee, as a way to salvage his political career. Mayer said that he has developed a role as "sycophant-in-chief" and that his main public role is fawning. If you're wondering what kind of president Pence might be, there's some insights to be gained from this interview.

Listen to the show here or read the transcript:

Understanding Mike Pence And His Relationship To Trump: 'His Public Role Is Fawning' : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
All VPs are sycophants in chief. That is the job description. If they are lucky they later become President.

Biden wasn't so lucky.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
I think that after the death of his son, Biden's heart really wasn't in it. I imagine he might have run had he not had to deal with such personal tragedy.

I heard the NPR interview about Pence today. It is really scary that we have someone in high office who is so much under the power of the Koch brothers. They really do want to control the country for their own benefit.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
This coming from NPR?

My oh my.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,737 times
NPR = corporate fake news media

Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It is really scary that we have someone in high office who is so much under the power of the Koch brothers. They really do want to control the country for their own benefit.
We feel the same about Soros controlling the Left. He has a track record of destruction around the world. The man is Satan incarnate and I wish he would die soon.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
We feel the same about Soros controlling the Left. He has a track record of destruction around the world. The man is Satan incarnate and I wish he would die soon.

Soros has been very effective in serving as a counter to would-be oligarchs like the Koch Bros. His value to democratic and humanitarian causes, has been recognized by many rightists and they work hard to slander him. Their false claims are in fact, a tribute to him.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
NPR = corporate fake news media
It wasn't news at all. It was an interview of an author who wrote a book about Pence.

I don't know where you would get an idea like that (corporate fake news media.) Who gave you that line?

Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
But isn't it just as scary when billionaires from the right want to buy the country for their own profit? It seems to me that ANY exceedingly wealthy person who wants to control the country is a threat. We all know they are doing it just for their own benefit, and care not at all for ordinary Americans. Anyone who seeks to wield that much power without voter accountability does not believe in or support democracy.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:07 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
But isn't it just as scary when billionaires from the right want to buy the country for their own profit? It seems to me that ANY exceedingly wealthy person who wants to control the country is a threat. We all know they are doing it just for their own benefit, and care not at all for ordinary Americans. Anyone who seeks to wield that much power without voter accountability does not believe in or support democracy.
Mercer's Heritage Foundation with the able support of McConnell and the Republicans just stole a seat on the Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies