Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 08:10 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
My favorite libertarian country is Somalia.
I'm not an expert on Somalia. Please educate me how Somalia is a libertarian country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
In a libertarian society you have exactly as much freedom as you can seize.
Quote:
Libertarians are rich anarchists they want just enough state power so they can be protected and free to exploit the proletariat but on the same token have the state be so weak that they can't possibly do anything about all the robber barons they have created.
Quote:
In libertarian society you are only as free as your boss allows you to be.
Quote:
Its not voluntary if you under threat of starvation or homelessness. Libertarian society benefits the masters people who own the capital and disenfranchises working class individuals. Libertarians would make it so public services like schools roads and everything in between be privatized this creates a massive burden on the poor. Libertarian society will lead to serfs and masters.
Correct. Freedom for the cat means death for the mouse. Freedom for the wealthy business owner class means slavery for everyone else.

We all must beware of the advocates of "freedom." Who's freedom? Theirs or ours?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:15 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
In a libertarian society you have exactly as much freedom as you can seize.
Freedom isn't something to be seized, unless you count defending yourself as seizing. It's odd that people are painting libertarians as the predators when they're trying to be left alone.

It's the people who want to use state force to control everyone that are the predators here, not the ones saying "live and let live".

Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Its not voluntary if you under threat of starvation or homelessness. Libertarian society benefits the masters people who own the capital and disenfranchises working class individuals. Libertarians would make it so public services like schools roads and everything in between be privatized this creates a massive burden on the poor. Libertarian society will lead to serfs and masters.
Oh this argument...

"Feed me for simply existing"
"No, but I'll offer you a job"
"Omg I'm being exploited by these greedy capitalists"

No, it is voluntary. If you have a problem with the fact that you need to do something to survive, talk to Mother Nature.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Oh this argument...

No, it is voluntary. If you have a problem with the fact that you need to do something to survive, talk to Mother Nature.
Ah the poor should just starve to death argument how did that work out during the french revolution?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This was the best post of the threat IMO and I totally agree, especially with the blue. It is why I think both systems have adherents who are naive and not well learned on the history of humanity.

People are not basically "good." I am not a religious person but do believe the simple tenet of Christianity in that all people are sinners. We are all just people and capable of both good and bad and we will always seek out the best option that primarily benefits ourselves and/or our families and /or our communities and not other people. As you note, history and life experiences show this to be true and libertarians for the most part ignore history and the human experience.
Did you read any of the responses to that post? It's interesting how people can be looking at the same exact evidence (meaning history, life experience, logic and reason, etc.) and have completely opposite conclusions.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Oh this argument...

Look at Wall Street. "Tax cuts or we are going to crash Wall Street". How is that any different?

Treasury secretary: Pass a tax bill or markets will tank - POLITICO

Wall Street is a never ending complaint of "Feed me".

Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Ah the poor should just starve to death argument how did that work out during the french revolution?
I'm about 99% sure you're trolling now.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,424,445 times
Quote:
libertarianism is comprised of the NAP and private property (ownership), nowhere is it put forth as a cure for starvation. However, the freedom to help others is always an option in a libertarian society.

Its like playing whack-a-mole where you just keep coming up with talking points and misconceptions to be tapped down.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,938,853 times
Quote:
I'm about 99% sure you're trolling now.
You made an appeal to nature its not natural for the poor to be taken care of. I provided a counter argument that showed your idea leads to revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies