Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 AM

10,774 posts, read 4,351,834 times

Advertisements

Looks virtually impossible for Dem-
Quote:
For Democrats to even have a shot at the majority, they need to win in Arizona and Nevada and pick up one other Republican seat. The two best possibilities for the third pickup would be either Tennessee, where incumbent Bob Corker is not seeking re-election, or Texas, where Ted Cruz is set to face the US representative Beto O’Rourke in an increasingly diverse state.

Those are both long shots at best right now for Democrats, and for them to take the majority, they would also have to retain every seat they currently hold – which is unlikely.

The result is that Democrats will be lucky to simply maintain the current balance of power in the Senate.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-2018-election
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Looks virtually impossible for Dem-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-2018-election
I hope yop are right but, as we saw the last time, do NOT put your money on media "predictions".

Old 11-11-2017, 07:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
I would not count on that with so many incumbent Republicans not running for re-election, only a few would need to fall to the Dems for the power shift to occur. I would have once said it is good to have more balance in Congress, but that led to total gridlock, unfortunately we still have an accomplish little Congress with one Party in full power, so not sure what the answer is other than more accountability with the voters.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
The senate map is favorable to the GOP next year, no doubt.

A lot can happen in the next 12 months, though.

I think if the economy remains good, Pubs will maintain their majority. But if it stumbles, all bets are off.

Every election is about the economy.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
I guess you missed that little Virginia and NJ election last week. Could be the beginning of a changing of the guard . Trump has damaged the GOP BIGLY. So, who knows what will happen.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
If the Democrats put social issues on the back burner and focused on economic issues the Republicans would never win another election.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:54 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Yeah bad map for team blue, but I'd be happy with even just a narrowing of the majority in both houses.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If the Democrats put social issues on the back burner and focused on economic issues the Republicans would never win another election.
Why should they do that?? Social progression is one of the corner stones of the Party. It is a fact that if you put important issues to you base on the back burner you alienate the voters you need to win.. If you want a Party that doesn't focus on social progression, vote Republican...

Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Why should they do that?? Social progression is one of the corner stones of the Party. It is a fact that if you put important issues to you base on the back burner you alienate the voters you need to win.. If you want a Party that doesn't focus on social progression, vote Republican...
I said the backburner not totally ignore them but not front and center. Focus on the working class americans and go after the billionaires Democrats would be unstoppable if they did that.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:04 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
UGH Lets hope that the Reps can retain control. The last thing I want to see are the Dems getting a majority and then the ridiculous calls for impeaching Trump will gain momentum again. It seems like that mantra has taken a back seat recently but if the Dems were back in power I can hear it now "Trump just sneezed and instead of using a tissue he used his sleeve to wipe his nose! He is lowering the respectability of the office and needs to be impeached now!"

BIG UGHHHH..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies