Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, he was given a slap on the wrist. He was let off way too easy. He should have been given life in prison or executed for what he did. Yes, he was let back in to society. I am saying he should not have been. What matters most to me in this instance is what is right and what is wrong.

If that is true, then Jane fonda should have been executed also..........

Old 10-31-2017, 01:23 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If that is true, then Jane fonda should have been executed also..........
Well, if she committed treason, then let the consequences fit the crime. I have a question though. Why are you bringing Jane Fonda? Do you feel that Robert E. Lee is so honorable that anyone who feels he committed treason needs to keep their mouth shut?

Old 10-31-2017, 01:27 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This is part of his southie (South boston) roots.

He reveled himself to us when he lied about the congresswoman.

Now its easy to see his support of Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/civil-war...100134209.html
Robert E. Lee was a very good general, for that he deserves recognition. Professionals tend to admire the best, even from among competitors and predecessors.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:28 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
You do lose me a bit on the ethnic cleansing thing though. If not ethnic cleansing what would you call a system that kidnaps people from their native land, separates them from their families, possessions and even their own names before they are forced to live out their lives working forced labor in whatever conditions their "owners" deem acceptable?
Since you want to talk about ww2

Then I'd argue that

The story of the 1930s is of the failure of diplomacy because Britain did not demonstrate it was prepared to take action. Hitler laughed at the agreement because he knew Britain was not arming for war; he didn’t believe there would be consequences for breaking the agreement he had signed. What’s more, Britain had a track record of ignoring Germany’s aggression. When German troops occupied the demilitarized zone of the Rhineland in 1936, Britain did nothing. When Hitler ordered his troops into Austria in March 1938, there was no reaction. And with the Munich Pact itself relinquishing Czechoslovakia’s Sudeten territory to Germany, what possible incentive did Hitler have to halt his campaign to take over Europe? Diplomacy was rewarding his aggression.

This doesn't mean Britain is the bad guy, or Hitler is the good guy. This just means one can always learn from the history. Sometimes, too diplomatic can be a failure too. War is the last resort, and war is the failure of diplomacy. Not sure why this is such a Controversial statement.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, if she committed treason, then let the consequences fit the crime. I have a question though. Why are you bringing Jane Fonda? Do you feel that Robert E. Lee is so honorable that anyone who feels he committed treason needs to keep their mouth shut?

Most in this thread are trying to convict Lee on the perceptions of today.Back then the people who fought against Lee decided to punish him they way they did.In 1865 the general feeling was To mend the country the quickest was to have a policy of forgiveness. We are not Lee's judge and jury today except in hindsight. The reason I brought up Jane Fonda is that there are just as many people today who think she should have been tried for treason as there are who think Lee should have been. Its the usual, everyone has their "opinion"

Old 10-31-2017, 01:45 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Most in this thread are trying to convict Lee on the perceptions of today.Back then the people who fought against Lee decided to punish him they way they did.In 1865 the general feeling was To mend the country the quickest was to have a policy of forgiveness. We are not Lee's judge and jury today except in hindsight. The reason I brought up Jane Fonda is that there are just as many people today who think she should have been tried for treason as there are who think Lee should have been. Its the usual, everyone has their "opinion"
Actually, people are seeing things the way they are. Lee might have been a great general, but he had a choice. Side with the US Army, for whom he swore his allegiance to, or side with the enemy combatant. He chose the enemy combatant. He is a traitor by that regard. I don't care if he wanted to "protect his beloved Virginia". And he fought for the Confederate cause. That alone makes me despise him. As someone who is a descendant of slaves, as someone who knows that a major goal of the Confederate cause was to keep slavery, I have EVERY reason to despise all things Confederate, period.

Lee is being judged by his actions. And there were people back then who wanted to punish him. However, the desire to appease a war-battered South. That should have not happened. There should have not been any appeasement. The fact is, that is not how you end a war. You get an account of everything that happened, war crimes, the dead,etc. Then you bring people to trial, particularly the traitors. Then punishments are doled out to the belligerents and people who committed treason. You also neutralize any hostilities. Confederates generals were let off way to easy considering what happened, and what it cost.

The fact is, you declare war against you're own country and you lose, that is on you. Period. Expect consequences to come from that.

I don't know what Jane Fonda did. I do know what Robert E. Lee did. Everything I say about this issue is based on FACTS, not opinions. Facts dictate my stance on this situation.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:50 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Actually, he was given a slap on the wrist. He was let off way too easy. He should have been given life in prison or executed for what he did. Yes, he was let back in to society. I am saying he should not have been. What matters most to me in this instance is what is right and what is wrong.
Goes back to what Kelly said " “I think we make a mistake as a society, and certainly as individuals, when we take what is accepted as right and wrong, and go back 100, 200, 300 years or more and say, ‘What Christopher Columbus did was wrong.’”
We can not judge the past by the present anymore than we can judge the present by the past. Our laws, codes of conduct, morals and social mores are too divergent.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
I don't know what Jane Fonda did. I do know what Robert E. Lee did. Everything I say about this issue is based on FACTS, not opinions. Facts dictate my stance on this situation.
Lee wasn’t some firebrand like Nathan Bedford Forrest who went out and started the KKK after the war; Lee seemed somewhat reluctant to join the rebellion, and he did try to help the nation heal after the war was over.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, people are seeing things the way they are. Lee might have been a great general, but he had a choice. Side with the US Army, for whom he swore his allegiance to, or side with the enemy combatant. He chose the enemy combatant. He is a traitor by that regard. I don't care if he wanted to "protect his beloved Virginia". And he fought for the Confederate cause. That alone makes me despise him. As someone who is a descendant of slaves, as someone who knows that a major goal of the Confederate cause was to keep slavery, I have EVERY reason to despise all things Confederate, period.

Lee is being judged by his actions. And there were people back then who wanted to punish him. However, the desire to appease a war-battered South. That should have not happened. There should have not been any appeasement. The fact is, that is not how you end a war. You get an account of everything that happened, war crimes, the dead,etc. Then you bring people to trial, particularly the traitors. Then punishments are doled out to the belligerents and people who committed treason. You also neutralize any hostilities. Confederates generals were let off way to easy considering what happened, and what it cost.

The fact is, you declare war against you're own country and you lose, that is on you. Period. Expect consequences to come from that.

My statement about everyone having an "opinion" meant I disagree with your saying Lee should have been executed. As to what Jane fonda did..........there is just as much evidence against her as there is against Lee........... https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...t+gun&fr=yfp-t

Old 10-31-2017, 02:26 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
This is part of his southie (South boston) roots.

He reveled himself to us when he lied about the congresswoman.

Now its easy to see his support of Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/civil-war...100134209.html
He has revealed himself to be nothing more than a low rent a***hole who just happens to be a 4 star general. To glorify Robert E Lee who was fighting to uphold a system of slavery, rape and the wanton killing and lynching of black men women and children is beyond despicable, and he would be asked to resign in any other normal or moral Presidential administration!

Making America Racist Again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies