Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe I not shouldn't, but I will answer you, as another "NY Refugee". 38 years in NYC. 20 years in the NY Suburbs. 10 years in Florida. Almost a year in PA.

I will give you that NY is expensive, but Florida isn't exactly CHEAP either. My daughter's house in NY was only $10,000 more than our's in Florida. Property? lol We were so close to our neighbors that we could hear every word of their conversation when they were outside. Oh, you are cooking fish today???? Ok, no state income tax there, BUT everything else is more expensive.
Florida isn't cheap? Pfft. My sisters house is 2600 sqft on .42 acre 2 car attached garage. Hers was 130k pays 2k per year on tax.
My mother's house 119k with a screened in pool on .38 acre for 1700 per year on tax.
The house I'm leasing that I may buy, built in 09 is a mini mansion... screened in pool taxes are 1200 ish tax bill came in the mail yesterday haven't opened it yet...
Owners will sell it to me for 185k. They wanted 225k. I reminded them of capital gains so they'll go lower. Same amount of property I had in NY .31 acre
NY property tax was 5200 per year. Not including school tax. Oh and for 1200 per year, my garbage is collected that was a fee in NY...

Fish? *yack*

Quote:
Car insurance for one. Why? Insurance company said that is because there is no State Inspections which raises cost of insurance. When my husband retired to move back up North, they have him a snow shovel as a gag gift. So where did IRMA hit? Many of my husband's former coworkers are now having to spend tens of thousands of dollars in home repairs.
Car insurance?
I pay 268.72 per month for full collision comp etc for 2 pickups. 128.32 per month on a half ton 140.40 per month on the 3/4 ton.

Registration for those trucks each come out LESS with vanity plates at that, than 1 years registration in NY... I paid 97 for plates on the half ton in NY.
Florida 52 per year for vanity plates on the half ton. Over 5k pounds
48 per year on the 3/4 ton

Cars. Different story. Brother in laws V6 charger is considered a sports car his insurance with no tickets is about 220 per month. Plates, I forget what he paid for but he paid a heck of alot more than I did. Same with my sister.
Before I bought the 3/4 ton, I was going to buy a hell cat Challenger. Insurance was going to be around 550 per month with full coverage. Yeah F that.

Has nothing to do with not having state inspections. It's due to all of the non drivers down here defying physics and somehow getting cars on their roofs on smooth flat roads. don't ask me how they do it. I have no idea.

Quote:
We bought our home in PA. for a little over $100,000. You couldn't get a trailer home in Florida for that. Yes, we also have an income tax. While the housing costs are cheap, we were shocked at the property taxes. In parts of our county, the taxes were around $7,000 a year; not much less than my daughter is paying on LI. At least NY has a STAR exemption. We don't.
There are houses 1600-2800sqft in my town listed between 90 and 135k built anywhere in the last 30 to 10 years, insulated/impact windows, granite kitchens and bathrooms, the works. Can't touch a house like that in NY for less than 300k and 12k in property taxes star exemption included. Taxes again are low. Most expensive taxed houses I find are in HOA and 3k+ sqft in my county.

I can buy 50-200 acres out in Okeechobee or Loxahatchee be back in the sticks, depending on dwelling and shop/barn, be less than 1k per year in property tax to as high as 4/5k per year in tax.

Want to move to Fort Lauderdale Fort Myers Miami Orlando etc... enjoy the high taxes. Off the beaten path... taxes are cheap.

Quote:
You want wildlife? I am in the Mountains and have deer, wild turkey, coyotes, bear in my backyard. The deer are so big I could ride them, but my neighbors make pets of them and feed them apples. I have neither sidewalks nor street nights. No neighbors across the street either because we border State Game Lands.

I would have liked nothing better than to move back to NY, but as a retired couple we cannot afford it. PA is the next best thing to it within driving distance. From the minute I moved to Florida all I wanted to do was get out of there.

Sorry, if this is getting OT, but this "NY Refugee" will never bash NY.
NY is sooooooooooo great but can't afford to live there LOL I love it.
Can't bash it. Can't live there either.

I'll only miss apple orchards, snow driving in it snow boarding snowmobiling and all of the dirt tracks I used to race stock cars at. It's okay though. The time it takes to set valve lash by hand and distributor dwell I can build an AR15. Cost of VP C16 = about what I spend on ammo...

Oh and vehicles don't rot either sun might blast the paint off. Dry out door gaskets... but they don't rot like back in the north east
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Racist, racist, racist, hater, hater, hater. That's all you've got. It's like the boy who cried wolf. You guys use it so often it has no meaning anymore. I would hope that you would be smart enough to think about this logically and rationally. But you are incapable of any rational thought whatsoever.

Millions of people belong to the NRA. Millions more lawfully own firearms. They aren't all murderers, are they? Although they've been labeled as such by people of your ilk.
What I've got is logic and rationality. You don't.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:05 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What I've got is logic and rationality. You don't.
Yeah, sure you do. Again, you still haven't been able to dispute what I've posted.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Yeah, sure you do. Again, you still haven't been able to dispute what I've posted.
Um, you must have reading comprehension problems, then.

Your argument has been that the NYC attacker was radicalized before he came to the United States.

Which means that your argument is that he came here with the intention of attacking the United States.

And that he waited around for SEVEN years, worked multiple jobs, tried repeatedly to start up new businesses, got married, had children, made friends, all while planning to attack the United States. SEVEN years of living a normal life. That's not logical, that's not reasonable.

And when I've pointed that out to you, you take to personal attacks. That's also not logical or rational.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Um, you must have reading comprehension problems, then.

Your argument has been that the NYC attacker was radicalized before he came to the United States.

Which means that your argument is that he came here with the intention of attacking the United States.

And that he waited around for SEVEN years, worked multiple jobs, tried repeatedly to start up new businesses, got married, had children, made friends, all while planning to attack the United States. SEVEN years of living a normal life. That's not logical, that's not reasonable.

And when I've pointed that out to you, you take to personal attacks. That's also not logical or rational.
I was able to prove to you that Uzbekistan harbors and exports terrorists. So it's perfectly rational and logical to believe that the NYC attacker was radicalized in the country he was born and raised in for TWENTY TWO years. To believe otherwise is both irrational and illogical.

You on the other hand have not been able to provide one shred of evidence to support your theory.

And when I've pointed that out to you, you take to personal attacks:
Quote:
"I would hope you would be smart enough to think about this logically and rationally, rather than through the lens of hate and fear."

"What I've got is logic and rationality. You don't."
Quote:
Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? - epeak.in
epeak.in/2017/11/01/why-does-uzbekistan-export...
Oct 31, 2017 · Home/ News/ Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? News Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? root 12 hours ago. 0 4 3 minutes read.

Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? | World Truth.TV
worldtruth.tv/why-does-uzbekistan-export-so-many...
A beard would be considered a sign of religious extremism in Uzbekistan, ... Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? Who Trained Manhattan Attacker Saipov?

Why does Uzbekistan export so many terrorists?
warincontext.org/2017/11/01/why-does-uzbekistan-export...
Oct 31, 2017 · Why does Uzbekistan export so many terrorists? By News Sources, November 1, 2017. ... He wouldn’t have been able to grow one in his native Uzbekistan. ...

Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists?
smallwarsjournal.com/print/79109
Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? By | Average: 0. Your rating: None. About the Author.

Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? (home of #nyc ...
www.democraticunderground.org/1016195603
Oct 31, 2017 · Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? The alleged New York attacker joins a long list of ISIS sympathizers and recruits from the country.

Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? | Small Wars ...
smallwarsjournal.com/news/hl/why-does-uzbekistan-export...
Oct 31, 2017 · New York Attacker Struck in the Name of Islamic State by Nina Agrawal, Matt Pearce and Matt Hansen - LA Times; Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many ...

Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? | Small Wars ...
50.56.4.43/.../why-does-uzbekistan-export-so-many-terrorists
Oct 31, 2017 · Why Does Uzbekistan Export So Many Terrorists? by Julia Ioffe - The Atlantic. Posted to SWJ on November 01, 2017 - 03:42pm

Old 11-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I was able to prove to you that Uzbekistan harbors and exports terrorists. So it's perfectly rational and logical to believe that the NYC attacker was radicalized in the country he was born and raised in for TWENTY TWO years. To believe otherwise is both irrational and illogical.

You on the other hand have not been able to provide one shred of evidence to support your theory.

And when I've pointed that out to you, you take to personal attacks:
You didn't prove anything. Every country can potentially harbor and export terrorists. EVERY country. Not every citizen is a terrorist in Uzbekistan, or in Syria, or in Egypt, or anywhere. Just because this guy lived for 22 years in a country means.....nothing. Logically and Rationally.

And to argue that someone came to a country to commit an act of terror and waited, year after year after year after year after year after year after year, is irrational and illogical.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
You didn't prove anything. Every country can potentially harbor and export terrorists. EVERY country. Not every citizen is a terrorist in Uzbekistan, or in Syria, or in Egypt, or anywhere. Just because this guy lived for 22 years in a country means.....nothing. Logically and Rationally.

And to argue that someone came to a country to commit an act of terror and waited, year after year after year after year after year after year after year, is irrational and illogical.
I proved a hell of a lot more than you did. You proved absolutely nothing other than your own personal opinion. That's all that it is your own personal opinion. I never stated that every citizen is a terrorist in Uzbekistan, or in Syria, or in Egypt, or anywhere. Only that Uzbekistan, the country that this particular individual was born and raised in harbors and EXPORTS terrorists. The key word here being EXPORTS, EXPORTS, EXPORTS. Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte and instead you'd rather put word's in other people's mouths.

Just because this guy lived in the United States for 7 years had a job and raised a family means..........nothing. Logically or rationally. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was radicalized here? Neither you nor I or anybody else can prove that as no one can ever know for sure what was in his head before he arrived here? Only he knows that and it's unlikely that he will be truthful with authorities. He's gonna' be at least spending the rest of his life in prison and may possibly receive the death penalty. He's proud of his actions and has got nothing to lose. I see no reason why he would aid a country that he is hostile to by turning in his brothers in arms. Or providing information that would be detrimental to his cause.

Again he was born and raised in Uzbekistan for 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years. There I've repeated it 22 times for you.

Unless he was living holed up in a cave someplace without any contact from the outside world or from within his own country. You'd think that being born and raised in a country that harbors and EXPORTS terrorists would somehow have shaped this individual's way of thinking before he even arrived in the United States? To discount this and to think otherwise is not only irrational and illogical but delusional as well.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-06-2017 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I proved a hell of a lot more than you did. You proved absolutely nothing other than your own personal opinion. That's all that it is your own personal opinion. I never stated that every citizen is a terrorist in Uzbekistan, or in Syria, or in Egypt, or anywhere. Only that Uzbekistan, the country that this particular individual was born and raised in harbors and EXPORTS terrorists. The key word here being EXPORTS, EXPORTS, EXPORTS. Perhaps reading comprehension is not your forte and instead you'd rather put word's in other people's mouths.

Just because this guy lived in the United States for 7 years had a job and raised a family means..........nothing. Logically or rationally. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was radicalized here? Neither you nor I or anybody else can prove that as no one can ever know for sure what was in his head before he arrived here? Only he knows that and it's unlikely that he will be truthful with authorities. He's gonna' be at least spending the rest of his life in prison and may possibly receive the death penalty. He's proud of his actions and has got nothing to lose. I see no reason why he would aid a country that he is hostile to by turning in his brothers in arms. Or providing information that would be detrimental to his cause.

Again he was born and raised in Uzbekistan for 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years, 22 years. There I've repeated it 22 times for you.

Unless he was living holed up in a cave someplace without any contact from the outside world or from within his own country. You'd think that being born and raised in a country that harbors and EXPORTS terrorists would somehow have shaped this individual's way of thinking before he even arrived in the United States? To discount this and to think otherwise is not only irrational and illogical but delusional as well.
You stated that because the man lived in Uzbekistan for 22 years he was a terrorist. That's your argument. YOUR argument.

My argument is that IF he'd been a terrorist when he came to the United States it makes no sense that he would wait SEVEN years before carrying out an attack. Why would he wait? Why would he get a job? Why would he try to start businesses? Why would he get married and have children?

These are rational questions. Your assertion that he was a terrorist before arriving in the United States makes no sense if you cannot answer the questions.

Neither you nor I can prove what was in his head before he arrived here, but my argument is based on his actual actions. Your argument is based on some preconceptions that immigrants from Uzbekistan are all terrorists.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You stated that because the man lived in Uzbekistan for 22 years he was a terrorist. That's your argument. YOUR argument.

My argument is that IF he'd been a terrorist when he came to the United States it makes no sense that he would wait SEVEN years before carrying out an attack. Why would he wait? Why would he get a job? Why would he try to start businesses? Why would he get married and have children?

These are rational questions. Your assertion that he was a terrorist before arriving in the United States makes no sense if you cannot answer the questions.

Neither you nor I can prove what was in his head before he arrived here, but my argument is based on his actual actions. Your argument is based on some preconceptions that immigrants from Uzbekistan are all terrorists.
What in God's name is wrong with you? AGAIN I NEVER STATED THAT!
Quote:
I never stated that every citizen is a terrorist in Uzbekistan, or in Syria, or in Egypt, or anywhere. Only that Uzbekistan, the country that this particular individual was born and raised in harbors and EXPORTS terrorists.
HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS

Obviously reading comprehension is not your forte. Here's what I've stated and backed it up with reasons why I believe that:
Quote:
"No, more than likely he was radicalized in his home country of Uzbekistan of which he lived for 22 years before he came here. Not too hard to figure out now is it?"
I said "more than likely" in other word's I can't beyond the shadow of a doubt prove that but have provided enough evidence that it is "more than likely". So far you have provided nothing other than your own opinion with absolutely nothing to back that up.

As to your SEVEN year question. I already answered that in one of my previous posts #507. Again reading comprehension is not your forte. Either that or you've got a mind like a sieve.
Quote:
So what if it took him 7 years to plan and carry out his plot. Who knows what else he's been doing for those 7 years? A lot of people who are engaged in criminal activity get away with it for many years before getting caught. Some never get caught. How do you know if he wasn't doing the same? Did it ever even occur to you that maybe him trying to blend in to our society was all a front?
We can argue back and forth all day to the point of repeating ourselves. It's now come to that. Arguing with you has now become a pointless waste of time. Especially just for the sake of arguing. I'm done!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 11-06-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
What in God's name is wrong with you? AGAIN I NEVER STATED THAT!

HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS, HARBORS AND EXPORTS TERRORISTS

Obviously reading comprehension is not your forte. Here's what I've stated and backed it up with reasons why I believe that:

I said "more than likely" in other word's I can't beyond the shadow of a doubt prove that but have provided enough evidence that it is "more than likely". So far you have provided nothing other than your own opinion with absolutely nothing to back that up.

As to your SEVEN year question. I already answered that in one of my previous posts #507. Again reading comprehension is not your forte. Either that or you've got a mind like a sieve.

We can argue back and forth all day to the point of repeating ourselves. It's now come to that. Arguing with you has now become a pointless waste of time. Especially just for the sake of arguing. I'm done!
Good. I'm glad you're done. But I think you're done because your argument was empty. Lots of countries harbor and export terrorists. And they export even more innocent citizens. The vast majority of immigrants to this country are innocent citizens only seeking a better life. Whether the immigrant is from Egypt or Pakistan or France or Turkey. Just people looking for a better life.

If someone who was immigrating to the United States was a terrorist, it's logical that they would plan their attack and act sooner rather than later. The longer they wait, the more chance they would pop up on someone's radar. The longer they wait, the more chance they would make friends and even deeper relationships that would make them not want to act. Seven years is a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies