Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:45 PM

501 posts, read 303,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Why don't you post some for us.
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, [applause]-that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." - from the fourth Lincoln/Douglas debate

Old 11-01-2017, 05:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb I have a BETTER question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
If you found out Lincoln was a white supremacist
If they found out Lincoln supported slavery, would the Old South suddenly want to put his statue everywhere?

Old 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
There's multiple reasons for tearing down confederate statues, slavery is one of them. Treason and, in a few cases, war crimes, and post-war intimidation are other reasons. You can be stupid and simply claim it is race based or you can grasp the whole picture.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lincoln killed about 3/4 of a million to preserve the fed guvs hold on the southern states.. You have an odd definition of keeping it together.
You can't make an omelette (a State) without breaking a few eggs (killing folks).

- common statist proverb

Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Never heard that before, than again I don't read right wing rags.
What does right wing rags have to do with it? If left wing rags want to ignore a story, it doesn't exist?

This is the problem in America today. People willfully ignore actual events because their preferred news outlet pretends they don't exist.

For the record, I am more of a leftist than anything else, but because I try to gain as much information as possible, I am routinely accused of being alternately a pinko Commie by right wingers and a Nazi by the left.

Enjoy your unadulterated, uncontested propaganda.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Only opinion that matters on this topic are the people of Illinois, I'm from Illinois and I say Lincoln stays.

Lincoln for all his faults was a great President, probably the greatest. He kept the USA from splitting in two, hard to beat that.

If it wasn't for Lincoln, many of the people(southerners) waving those American flags and demanding patriotism wouldn't even be American.
Amen to that. Lincoln was the driving force behind ending slavery, that and the Union Army which smashed the traitorous Confederacy, but sadly did not go far enough. Should have imprisoned its leadership.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Well... from this website: 5 Things You May Not Know About Lincoln, Slavery and Emancipation - History in the Headlines

Quote:
On September 22 1862, Abraham Lincoln issued his preliminary Emancipation Proclamation, in which he declared that as of January 1, 1863, all slaves in states in rebellion against the Union "shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free."
And...

Quote:
In the last speech of his life, delivered on April 11, 1865, he (Lincoln) argued for limited black suffrage, saying that any black man who had served the Union during the Civil War should have the right to vote.
So Lincoln's emancipation proclamation was only to give the North an advantage over the South. By declaring the slaves in the Confederate States free, the move would prevent the owners of slaves from using their slaves to participate in the war on behalf of the South. Lincoln never freed ALL black slaves in America, just the ones in the rebelling Confederate States.

And Lincoln only advocated giving only those blacks who served the Union during the Civil War the right to vote.... he never advocated for voting rights for ALL blacks.

So Lincoln is not quite the hero of the blacks that Liberals and blacks make him out to be.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Lincoln killed about 3/4 of a million to preserve the fed guvs hold on the southern states.. You have an odd definition of keeping it together.
Don't want to get killed, don't wage war against the USA.

As the kids say nowadays, don't want stupid prizes, don't play stupid games.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Aren't all white people racists now? This is what I hear daily on the media.
Why ya ask? Feel guilty?

Old 11-01-2017, 11:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Of course Lincoln was a white supremacist. So what?

He didn’t betray his country. The Confederates did.

Hell, John Wayne was a white supremacist too, but I still love his movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies