Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 03:22 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,648,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Why does the GOP insist on raising taxes?
how else can they keep the multi trillion dollar giveaway down to a 1.7 trillion debt?

if they did not raise taxes on the poor, middle classes, students and such like the poor multimillionaires struggling with just hundreds of millions could not become billionaires .

the Ruling class needs this tax break to build citadels, buy politicians and private armies to stomp down the proles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 03:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Trade schools don't teach you how to handle radioactive materials. Trade schools don't teach you how to perform x-ray diffraction. Trade schools don't teach you how to develop quantum communications and write algorithms for artificial intelligence - key technologies that will be critical for the nation's defense in the next 50 years. You are living in a fantasy land. Again, most people living on stipends who get tuition waivers are people trying to study STEM DEGREES. People earning PhDs in social sciences, English, women's studies etc. do not make up the bulk of tuition waivers at the graduate level. You really don't understand how STEM training works do you? This is going to crush science and engineering in the US the most, not someone studying philosophy or literature.

Tell me exactly where I can go to a trade school to learn and get hands on experience with the instrumentation needed to do high energy particle physics. Or show me a trade school that houses a FTICR for high resolution mass spectrometry.
See, that's the fundamental problem.

These people think you can have a modern society without education, where everyone just digs rocks out of the ground, pounds on things with hammers, and tightens bolts.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:25 PM

25,947 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Just curious how everyone feels about this one: the GOP's new tax plan will end nontaxable tuition waivers for graduate students who work as TAs or research assistants. In case you aren't aware, the vast majority of PhD students in science, engineering, mathematics, and the rest of the STEM fields get their tuition paid for by grants and receive a very modest stipend of anywhere from $20-35k per year. By ending this waiver, it means a hypothetical PhD student in engineering earning $25k will be have to pay a tax bill of 25% on ~$75k (tuition+stipend), meaning they'd pay over $18k in taxes while only having take home income every year of $25k.

If everyone is supposed to be studying 'non-worthless' majors in STEM, how are we supposed to be competing with other countries like China in high-tech fields and weapons development programs which require inordinate amounts of science, engineering, and technology if all we are going to do is make people who are trying to study those fields homeless because of taxes?
Gee, that's too bad that the grunts out busting their asses every day will no longer be funding those grad students. It's heartbreaking. It's also sad that those grad students might have to put something in the kitty for the services they receive from the government. It's great getting free services. As long as you are the one receiving the services and not the one funding them.

I guess those grad students will have to dig ditches to pay their way through school. Make their own money. Kind of like the rest of the real world has to do.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:35 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,938,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Gee, that's too bad that the grunts out busting their asses every day will no longer be funding those grad students. It's heartbreaking. It's also sad that those grad students might have to put something in the kitty for the services they receive from the government. It's great getting free services. As long as you are the one receiving the services and not the one funding them.

I guess those grad students will have to dig ditches to pay their way through school. Make their own money. Kind of like the rest of the real world has to do.

Ever use a Groupon for a discount at a restaurant? How about coupons at the grocery store? I suppose we should start taxing all of that too as income using this logic.

You act like grad students studying physics, chemistry, math and engineering don't pay taxes. They already do and have so for forever. I mean I understand a large fraction on CD hates higher academia for political reasons and liberal politics, but since when is science and engineering political? It'll be hilarious to see the day this absolutely guts America's preeminence in technology and everyone flees to China and helps their economy and military eclipse the US in no time. Our grandparents weren't this stupid and recognized the value for science and engineering in order to compete with the Russians.

Explain how you're supposed to work your way through grad school in science when you're already doing 80+ hours a week in experimental work

Old 11-08-2017, 03:36 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,938,058 times
I thought the GOP hated increasing the debt.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:37 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,772,322 times
Quote:

It's almost like none of y'all have a clue what the topic is actually about. You just don't like grad students. That's really the extent of your understand of the subject at-hand.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:

we have (maybe not for much longer) a progressive tax system that claws back that wealth so what is your real problem?

Is it that they are getting something beyond your reach? something you and me can never aspire too?

cause it really reads like sour grapes.

We i want skilled people to develop meds that keep me alive, and smart doc who figure out how to keep my ticker going like i am 40 when i am 80...

it is the smartest of us that make the hard breakthroughs. It takes the smartest people educated to the best of our ability to move us forward. And forward we must go or we all die.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:48 PM

i believe that estimate relies on made up "growth rates " that GOP are pretending will "offset" debt to keep it to 1.7..

if we put in realistic growth numbers the debt spirals

Old 11-08-2017, 03:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
And you'd be a fool if you needed cutting edge semiconductor researchers or drug developers or AI experts.
Quote:
Trade schools don't teach you how to handle radioactive materials. Trade schools don't teach you how to perform x-ray diffraction. Trade schools don't teach you how to develop quantum communications and write algorithms for artificial intelligence - key technologies that will be critical for the nation's defense in the next 50 years. You are living in a fantasy land. Again, most people living on stipends who get tuition waivers are people trying to study STEM DEGREES. People earning PhDs in social sciences, English, women's studies etc. do not make up the bulk of tuition waivers at the graduate level. You really don't understand how STEM training works do you? This is going to crush science and engineering in the US the most, not someone studying philosophy or literature.

Tell me exactly where I can go to a trade school to learn and get hands on experience with the instrumentation needed to do high energy particle physics. Or show me a trade school that houses a FTICR for high resolution mass spectrometry.
you guys dont need PHDs for the things you suggest, you do need an education, a bachelors degree does quite nicely along with training and experience thank you. but you guys seem to think that PHDs should be required everywhere, for everything.

again i ask why does one need a PHD in english lit, or liberal arts? or political science?

i do support continuing education, but having to have a PHD to handle nuclear material, or develop AI, or develop drugs, or semi conductors, or any of the things you guys are suggesting, not really. as i said, i would go more for experience that education.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:59 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,100,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It's almost like none of y'all have a clue what the topic is actually about. You just don't like grad students. That's really the extent of your understand of the subject at-hand.
They absolutely don't have a clue. They just know that education-BAD! And higher education-VERY BAD!

And there you have it, the extent of comprehension you can ever hope for.

Truly, they want the entire U.S. population to be as dimwitted as they are. Probably because that will make them feel less stupid.

With this mindset, and with the speed that biotech and innovation is moving, the U.S. will be a third world power within a decade. We used to value this kind of thing and lead the world, but those days are quickly coming to an end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies