Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,602,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Most anti gun people are completely clueless on how to answer a question like this, all you’re going to get is brainless rhetoric.
I probably have owned, shot and sold more guns than most on here. I have no problem with licensing, training, safe storage/transportation and small capacity magazine laws.

Why would anyone object to any of those? None of those compromise the 2nd amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM

764 posts, read 235,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And a limited size magazine does not restrict the 2nd amendment.
I concede that the issue hasn't made it to the supreme court yet, but I do not agree that it does not restrict/infringe.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:01 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,805,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Blame the air force, I guess.

Yes, this is a mistake, no doubt about it, but do any of you honestly believe this tragedy could have been prevented?

How many more people have the military neglected to report to the FBI because of administrative incompetence? Probably some, but Not as many as gun shows let out the door without even asking for ID

There is no single answer to this tragedy.
I agree I think I should have worded what I said a little differently.

I think the guy would have found a way to do it anyway really.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I read that clearly. I still ask the same question. It is not their job to protect you. They are there as a symbol of deterrence, not to jump in front of you as the shooting starts.
Actually that is what they Are there for and they would do if so needed, so normally I find no need to carry inside. I rely on no one to protect me, I am more than capable on that front, as the saying goes, been there, done that, several times.
You seem to be confused on my stance when it comes to firearms, so:
Find 1, post of mine which was not 100% in favor of the 2nd A, clue: it does not exist. I have a lifetime connection to firearms and have no fear of them as the tools they are, even pieces of art work and craftsmanship with some. I have gone out of my way to change the minds, or is that removed the fear and ignorance, whichever, does not matter, of more than a few people by simply taking them shooting, on my own firing range, it is small but useful. I own a wide range of firearms, including 5 modern sporting rifles in both 5.56mm and .308 cal. along with several other types of long guns, plenty of handguns and again a wide range for different functions, and more shotguns that I need in both 12 and 20 gauge. And those are just the firearms. I also have several crossbows, longbows and recurves, along with a large collection of swords and knives. And yes, I am more than proficient in all their uses, I make sure of that by practice, practice, practice. Did you forget that I am one of those crazy Prepper's that takes this all stuff very seriously, I think we even discussed the topic way back when, too bad it does not seem to be popular on this site, meh....
So BentBow, when it comes to the 2nd A we are on the same side, where we differ is your use of the wide paint brush painting all Liberals as gun hating loons, or that somehow this a political issue that can only be blamed on Dems (which I am not), even though to a degree I agree they are Usually the ones attempting to infringe.
Just suggestion, while I know that seeing my name attached to a post triggers you at times, on this topic maybe you should realize who agrees with your premise and who does not. I judge a man on who they are, not simply their political leanings, try it some time, it is refreshing.
Clear it up?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:02 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,612,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And a limited size magazine does not restrict the 2nd amendment.
It is an INFRINGEMENT so it does restrict the 2A. So smaller magazines just mean these perps bring more mags, or modify mags to hold more rounds, or buy higher capacity magazines on the street, or bring more than one firearm............or use a truck, car, bomb.........etc

You can have your seven round magazines, I will keep my standard capacity mags.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,585,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I concede that the issue hasn't made it to the supreme court yet, but I do not agree that it does not restrict/infringe.
Does your not being able to buy an M16 infringe on your rights ? How about an RPG ? or Frag-grenade ? Why not ? Too extreme ? How about a Thompson Sub or a Street Sweeper Shotgun ? What is the difference between these weapons and your AR15 or HiCap Magazine?

Congress can change the 2nd amendment if they choose - not suggesting they do but that is within their authorization.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:05 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,509,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And some people want the government in complete control of their healthcare.

"Oh, we forgot to note he was allergic to that medicine we gave him when he died in surgery."
Well it's not as though the private sector is doing such a great job with that portfolio.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f35832b95198

Also of note should be the fact that in most nations with universal or single payer the government has nothing to do with your actual healthcare. You and your doctor are exclusively granted that right.

But...don't let the facts get in the way of an off topic silly fallacious meme.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:06 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Interesting article from the NY Times

What Explains U.S. Mass Shootings? International Comparisons Suggest an Answer

from the article:

"In 2013, American gun-related deaths included 21,175 suicides, 11,208 homicides and 505 deaths caused by an accidental discharge. That same year in Japan, a country with one-third America’s population, guns were involved in only 13 deaths. This means an American is about 300 times more likely to die by gun homicide or accident than a Japanese person. America’s gun ownership rate is 150 times as high as Japan’s. That gap between 150 and 300 shows that gun ownership statistics alone do not explain what makes America different."
You want to live in Japan? I'll take my 300x chance in the US.

Even with those stats people still want to live here.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
These types of threads just go on and on - and no one listens to reason or the facts.

Lefties always say "why can't we politicize these shootings?" - my response is: there is nothing to politicize, since the 2nd Amendment isn't negotiable. That's why we remain steadfast. There is nothing to talk about. So deal with mental health and the media making these guys famous, because that is the only areas that really need addressing.

There are no compromises. I agree with a poster who said earlier, if law enforcement disarms, then I will disarm.
I disagree, that still leaves those that are evil with theirs, so when they are gone I "might" consider it, doubtful but I will at least give it a second thought.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A computerized registry will help us to enforce the laws that already exist.
Would only work with new purchases, so............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies